Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know you really love your dog when you consider whether or not he will be happy in the new house. :p Lola will be fine as long as she's with us, however, I'm a little worried about Ilya (husky).

We must have looked at 4 houses today which were in good condition (not great) and almost all of them had evidence of a dog. The one where I really liked the architechtural features had a major issue..... doggy damage. The previous owner made one of the bedrooms into a dog room with tile floors. You can tell from the smell, the poor thing must have been miserable. There was scratches on the door where it looked like he/she was trying to claw their way out, part of the window mouldings were chewed and everwhere in the house contained pet stains.

I'm worried that this type of house would encourage Ilya to mark everywhere. He's housebroken right now.... but would a house like this change that? Would professional cleaning exterminate all the odors or will a dog still be able to tell?

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I wouldn't take the risk unless you're willing to rip up everything down to the subfloor and replace it; sometimes even that has to go. Must be a lot of houses on the market right now with no pet damage. I would have to be really ga-ga over the house, location, & price to buy something I know was used as a doggy bathroom. If it was a tight housing market, I might feel differently but it doesn't seem worth the hassle of the clean-up and possible problems with Ilya.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
We took our dogs to visit houses with us when we were looking. :D We wanted to make sure they liked the yard.

We just bought a house and are about 75% finished with the gutting and remodeling. There was quite a bit of urine staining in the living room. When we pulled the carpet up it smelled awful and the wood floor had some severe damage underneath it. We were told to sand the area and put a sealer over it and haven't had any problems. If you talk to someone at Home Depot or Menards, they can tell you the specific sealer. It goes on just those areas before you put any thing else over it.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
would have to be really ga-ga over the house, location, & price to buy something I know was used as a doggy bathroom.
That's just it Winnie. :) I'm looking at a house mainly as an investment and it's located in a prime location, underpriced, and most importantly my kids get to go to the same school. It's only 4 years old and has a large back yard that I can easily section off a bathroom area and still get running space for Ilya and Lola.

Thank you for the info TWAB. Yikes, stained wood floors. It's good to hear there's something that can remedy it. All the houses I looked at are on slabs and I think you helped remind me of some type of sealing product that takes care of smells and mold. I think I'm going to Home Depot today. :)

After the 2nd house, I wondered if there were any houses on the market that was not occupied by a dog, so it's a good thing to know. It's a dog loving city except there's forclosures here going on left and right... no one bothers to stage them and tags on the "as is" stipulation.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I don't really mean to get side-tracked here on your thread JustTess, but I have to say it really urks me when people do that dogs... They put their dogs in a room in the house and just leave them... : ( That's really sad. I put Donatello in "our" room whenever I go somewhere, but it's quite evident he loves it in there. He loves sleeping on my bed, he chews on his bones in there, eats and drinks in there. He doesn't whine, howl, chew on the door, rip at the carpet, or chew on the stuffed-animals that share the bed with him...

Ugh...

Whenever I get my own apartment, I'm looking at two-bedroom, the second bedroom to be like a study/doggy-room. NOT a room I just put Donatello in a leave him, but a room with his dog bed, his toys, his water dish... (He doesn't use the dog-bed he likes sleeping with me.) I think it'd be nice if he could have a little space aside from mine...

Anyway. End Rant.

Good luck, JustTess, on house-hunting... If you really like this one you're looking at, I hope you're able to fix it up cheaply and easily. : )

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I'm going to lean toward agreeing with Winnie. Right now it's a buyers market on homes. It's the best time in 20-30 years to be buying a house. I would buy one that didn't require extensive remodeling, but that's just me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts