Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody else experienced this? Its usually on our short (not going for a walk) bathroom breaks that Caeda does this. She has gotten pretty good on leash, minimum pulling, with the exception of the rare bolt after something particularly intriguing. Usually if she feels some pressure on the leash, regular leash, flexi or long line, she'll back off a bit. Time to go....NOPE. She HAS to poo "OVER THERE!!!", originally I was thinking ok, short leash, she doesn't want me standing directly over her when she does her business, so I tried our flexi (which is extra long), and no matter how far away she is, she wants to be an extra foot or two further and she paces back and forth frantically until she has no choice but to stop. She tries everything, head down pulling, bolting etc. but only pulls this bad when she needs to go.

I think I know what I need to do to stop this, and I'm going to start being ready to work on it (I'm not usually ready first thing in the morning still in my housecoat, but I'm going to have to be :p ), but I'm overall just wondering if this is completely weird or if anybody else's dog does this. Anybody know why? Its not like I'm taking her to a new potty spot, or a new area in general. Its even more annoying now that she is getting so fantastic on leash while we walk.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Maybe she just feels that's where she wants to go. As if she's marking territory every time she goes there and now has to repeat it. That's the only thing I can think of; Luke doesn't care where he does his #2's, but his #1's are in the exact same spot every time we go on our walk. I even slow down now cause I know Luke will go there and when he doesn't, it's like "Are you sure? Oh...kay..."

I just think she's scent marking (territory thing). Hopefully others can help you.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
when you figure out the reason for it, let me know. Tyler has become a pretty good loose leash walker yet he will suddenly drag me through yards, flower beds, thickets, ect. To poop in just the right spot. Nothing I've done will change his mind about the perfect spot. He'll even do the poo walk if I give the lead slack while he's pooping. When he's finished, he runs to the end of the lead as if the devil just came out of him...

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I have a theory that somehow putting pressure on the lead helps stimulate the bowels. Like the straining/pulling forward motion helps get things moving. No idea if it's correct but my last two dogs have done the same thing, needing to be right at the end of the leash pulling just before they go poop. First dog was always a puller on walks do to lack of training but second is trained and doesn't pull otherwise except occasionally to greet other dogs. I don't let them pull me anywhere they just needed to pull and pace at the end of the leash for a bit before going. But I never tried to stop it either since it wasn't a big issue for me.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I have a theory that somehow putting pressure on the lead helps stimulate the bowls.
Hmm...dogs have bowls inside them? :p Just messing with you :D

Has anybody else experienced this? Its usually on our short (not going for a walk) bathroom breaks that Caeda does this. She has gotten pretty good on leash, minimum pulling, with the exception of the rare bolt after something particularly intriguing. Usually if she feels some pressure on the leash, regular leash, flexi or long line, she'll back off a bit. Time to go....NOPE. She HAS to poo "OVER THERE!!!", originally I was thinking ok, short leash, she doesn't want me standing directly over her when she does her business, so I tried our flexi (which is extra long), and no matter how far away she is, she wants to be an extra foot or two further and she paces back and forth frantically until she has no choice but to stop. She tries everything, head down pulling, bolting etc. but only pulls this bad when she needs to go.
Yep, I get that from Wally sometimes. It's even worse when he really does want to poop in another spot, but he usually poops where he is and I keep saying "go potty" and he keeps looking over at the area like "I WANT TO BUT YOU WON'T LET ME GO OVER THERE." and I'm like - "just poop here already, you did two days ago". And he's like "FINE, I'LL HOLD IT AND NOT POOP SO THERE!" and I'm like "fine with me. Vamanos!"

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
As soon as I saw the topic I thought, "who has my dog?!?" Never mind...she's snoozin' on the couch.

Bella does the SAME thing. Drives me batty. She has to squeeze herself under the lowest bush around.... leash becomes entangled in the bush since she must circle twenty times before picking the perfect place/position. Then she gets stuck because she's scared she's going to step in it if she comes back the same way....then it's a rescue mission before she freaks out. God forbid she have a dingle berry hanging from her tooshie! That's a whole new level of panic!

A daily event.

I feel your pain....lol

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Bella does the SAME thing. Drives me batty. She has to squeeze herself under the lowest bush around.... leash becomes entangled in the bush since she must circle twenty times before picking the perfect place/position. Then she gets stuck because she's scared she's going to step in it if she comes back the same way....then it's a rescue mission before she freaks out. God forbid she have a dingle berry hanging from her tooshie! That's a whole new level of panic!
LOL when Wally gets one of those dingle berries, he keeps squatting like he's gotta poop LOL. At first, I was like WTF - he's pooping again? But nothing came out and the I just decided to check - and saw it.

The look of relief on his face though...you think I'd just killed a monster. Dogs.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
The look of relief on his face though...you think I'd just killed a monster. Dogs.
A lot of the dogs I've worked with are TERRIFIED of dingle berries. They have fear etched across their faces as they poo walk across the yard, trying desperately to free themselves. Some are nice enough to thank me when I free them. Others run far, far away... Dogs.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
BB is a very weird dog when it comes to poop time. I have never had a dog that could not make up her mind about where she was going to poop as much as she does. Even when in the backyard. She will be in one spot and will do the dance and then will run off to another spot and do the same thing and then another and another (mind you no pooping has occurred as of yet) and then she will sniff all they way back to her original spot and go after another dance. And then its zoomies all around the yard lol.

She is even worse on leash, specially when she sees another do mid dance then its like she never had to poop at all and she now wants to go say hi. Then next spot we go to the same happens. It's weird, and hard to describe.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
When it's potty time we let Skyler lead us almost anywhere between the front and side yard until he finds THE spot.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL, ok, definately not just Caeda.
She does the frantic looking for a spot too.....zooming back and forth (and/or pulling) looking for THE spot, and sometimes it'll take 10 minutes! Not to be gross, but lets just say that a couple of times there has been no more choice, she had to do it right there, right then because it was already on its way.
Once she hit the end of the leash (and I wouldn't let her go any further) and she was on the very top of a large snowbank on our driveway. The funniest part was when it surprised her when it rolled down the slope and she looked like she was about to chase it, but was of course too busy lol.
Then come the post-poo zoomies. Guessing I'm not alone there either!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Nope! Not alone. When on a walk no pulling is allowed but potty time is different. Chloe, who is off leash, will spin & squat 5-6 times often, appently the quality of the backward squat spin determines THE spot. Once done she, who is as far from aggressive as a dog can be, will kick grass then strut. She has kicked moss and pinecones 30' behind her..poof! Duck! Cracks us up.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Sandy the shih tzu has to spin in a circle like 20 times before she poops on the spot she started in. Greta has to go off leash, pretty far away, but must stare at me lol, which usually means butt towards me with her head turned mostly all the way lol. Silly dogs!

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Yeah Deja does the after poop kicking, unfortunately she's actually kicked the poop up in the air before so I have to be far away from her when she's going potty, lol. She is pretty simple with her spot, its usually in the leaves or in the little ditch in our back yard or a ditch on our walk.

Every body but BB is simple with poop time, except they do run to find their spot even the bulldogs.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
When I first adopted Dilly-Dally, she wouldn't poop for two and a half DAYS because she wasn't comfortable with my presence. Eventually she gave up, but even today, she is very particular about the kind of ground she'll poop on. No hard cement or muddy dirt - grass, gravel, or wood chips only.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
A lot of the dogs I've worked with are TERRIFIED of dingle berries. They have fear etched across their faces as they poo walk across the yard, trying desperately to free themselves. Some are nice enough to thank me when I free them. Others run far, far away... Dogs.
LOL

That's exactly what Wally does! I should actually capture it - would be a fun parlor trick - or April Fool's joke. "My dog just has to go now." (Cue poop walk and walk him around) "April Fools!" :D

Though I guess it's not a joke if he actually does end up pooping!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Last week, Biscuit poo-walked across the entirety of the dog park (half a city block), then butt-scooted the whole way back to remove dingleberries. Congratulations, dog. You truly are the most refined lady!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I have to laugh ... Blu Boy has to smell every single inch of the back yard and I swear he marks every single spot that was peed on by the other dogs, varmints, whatever ... before he even thinks about pooing. Then he does another ten minutes looking for that exact spot, turns in circles a million times and the poo is still flying out his rear as he finally stops! he is the worst potty dog I have ever known. Lol!

Leeo used to refuse to move if he had a dingleberry ... I had to go get something and wipe his rear or he would flat out have to be carried into the house! Lol! :)

Abylynn has to be in the woods or she will not poo anywhere else. :/

Not sure about Lucy yet ... except she too has been going into the woods to poo!

I have some strange dogs!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Once she hit the end of the leash (and I wouldn't let her go any further) and she was on the very top of a large snowbank on our driveway. The funniest part was when it surprised her when it rolled down the slope and she looked like she was about to chase it, but was of course too busy lol.
Then come the post-poo zoomies. Guessing I'm not alone there either!
Hahaha!!! More proof that poo really DOES roll downhill LMAO. Bella has done the same thing once - top of the tallest snowbank...poo rolled down and it startled her when she caught it out of the corner of her eye. She didn't finish her business until later....under the bush. Just too much to handle....LOL

Bella gets the zoomies before her poo - I think it helps get things movin'.

The dingle berry thing is the funniest. One time she passed a single strand of my hair that was hangin' on with dingle dangling at the end - she was running around like a mad-dog - looking behind her to see if it was still after her. I had to take a leaf and remove it. Too freaking funny....to me. She was horrified.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The dingle berry thing is the funniest. One time she passed a single strand of my hair that was hangin' on with dingle dangling at the end - she was running around like a mad-dog - looking behind her to see if it was still after her. I had to take a leaf and remove it. Too freaking funny....to me. She was horrified.
Caeda did this exact thing today, except I didn't have to remove it, it actually fell off and she turned around and barked at it! Hilarious, I felt bad though, she looked absolutely terrified when it was still attached!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts