Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you as a pet parent pay for this?

I am renting a house that has about an acre of land that is just trees, it has a no building clause (the owner bought the house with the agreement she wouldn't build on it for 7 years) She told me she could build a fence on it and put semi perminant structures on it.
My idea is to put a 4 or 6 foot fence on the property, clean it up and in the winter put one of those bubble semi perminant structures, it'd be a dog park. I was thinking of having a doggy daycare, people would drop off their dogs to me and I'd watch them, during the rain I have a two story garage that could be used. I would allow people to also have admission to the dog park for something simple like $1/day or a $5 punch card with 10 admissions. Every dog to enter the dog park must show proof of vaccines. Any dog entering the dog park that is aggressive will be kicked out.

I have worked at doggy daycares, groom shops, owned a pet sitting company and been training for about 6 years. I don't know if it'd be worth it yet but if I could spend all day with my dog and have four dogs in daycare (probably $15/day) and even just 20 visitors a day that'd be 2400/month. If I grew I'd want to hire one or two employees but not much more.

I know its just bare bones, but what do you think? good/bad idea? By the way the house is in a residental neighborhood but its mostly farms.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I love the dog park idea. Would you supervise? Or semi-supervise? The thing I cannot stand at the dog park is so many people just letting their dogs do whatever they want. I would love a place where there was a professional that would step in and say "Um excuse me ma'am, but your dog just ate that woman. It would be excellent if you left".

As for the daycare. I am not sold. (I am scared of puppy day care in general!) But I bet if I met you, and spent time watching you with my dog than I would be comfortable with it.

I think if you have the space, it is well worth the cost. It doesn't sound like you will need to put a lot of money into it to start.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Just a couple of things to consider: installing a double gate to avoid escapes when the first gate is opened; license fees; insurance.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I will tell you that I have wished so many times that I knew someone who took care of a small number of dogs in their home (kind of like an in-home child daycare). To me, my dogs would be much more comfortable in that type of situation, rather than the larger dog daycare facilities we have here. So I would be one of your first customers!

You said that you would only take in about 4 daycare dogs a day. I think it's great but how would you work that? Most people don't take their dogs to daycare everyday. Would you have a schedule about what dogs are coming on what days? And would you do overnight boarding. A lot of people who take their dogs to daycare like to board them there since the dogs are familiar with the surroundings.

Also, as someone who does take her dogs to daycare, the thing I like about it is that all the dogs have already been temperament tested. That gives me a lot of peace of mind when I'm dropping my dogs off. The dogs coming into your dog park will not have been tested. I know you said you would ask aggressive dogs to leave but you won't know they're aggressive until they BECOME aggressive. (Does that make sense?) Will you keep the daycare dogs separate from the dog park area? If not, are you planning to be there to watch them like a hawk?

Lastly, I would think zoning would be a big deal. If it's a residential neighborhood, running a business may or may not be allowed. I know for me personally, I wouldn't want to live next to a place that had large numbers of dogs barking, etc. Even though I love dogs.

Like I said, I do like the idea. Just wanted to give you some things to think about. Good luck!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The daycare dogs would be in the dog park, if a dog was overexcited/showing any signs of aggression they will not be allowed in the park, period. Those crazy labs who need a walk before they enter will do just that, take a walk!! The daycare kids would also be wearing orange vests (idc if they get all chewed up, just so I can see them clearly). Daycare dogs are temperment tested because I need them to be the "stable" pack, when a dog who is unsure of himself comes into the pack I need to know they aren't going to try and maul him. (if you go to a dog park you should know what I'm talking about.)

My goal is to have a double gate and the second gate have either a lock on it or I will be sitting right next to it (for the most part) so I can take punch cards/money and see vaccines. I will have a strict policy on vaccines and aggression, I do not tolerate dogs that are dangers... Some dogs will start fights unprovoked but for the most part you can see who is not going to tolerate what. I was also considering an enter/exit door, its important to allow a new dog to slowly become alcimated (sp?) to a pack not rushed, it brings fights down to a mimimum. So I'd have the first gate and slowly allow the pack to funnel in, get more comfortable until most of the dogs have said hello and move them into the big park. It makes the new dog feel more comfortable and safer. :)

The licensing, getting the neighbors to agree... now thats the hard part! lol :) Its a really rural area but the neighbors might have a problem with barking, don't know until you try. Where do I go about finding out about licenseing and permits to do something with the land?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Try the city hall for your area. In some places, you'd need a kennel permit/license.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I would expect a fence that is at least 6' and has a double gate. I'd be careful letting dog parker people in without "interviewing" their pooch. You don't want and of the daycare pups getting hurt. Aside from all the things previously said, release the paranoid dog owner in you. Is it escape proof? Are there places for the dogs to eat lunch separately? Do you feel that as one person you'll be able to supervise properly? Etc.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Wow, I really like that idea! A dog park and doggy daycare... Paying admission for the dog park... That's actually pretty neat...

I'm not sure if I'd pay for it though, I'm pretty picky and really prefer to have my dog in my sights at all time... I'm also extremely strapped for money, but I'm sure there are others out there that would!

I own my own pet-sitting business, and would someday love to run it out of a small office suite or even out of my home... I get a lot of people that call and ask if I do it out of my home, (I live in small 2bdrm apt.)... : ( Sadly no, but there are those that do! I'm the cheapest pet-sitting business in my area, for a fact, and yet if I only had two-three clients a week with one dog, I'd make over a thousand dollars! It's a great business to get into... Whether you do it out of your home or out of others' homes... I have a couple clients that I go over to their house 4-5 times a day! 0.0

I wish you luck! You've got my two-thumbs up! I do suggest that you look into having friends or someone to help you, because I can see where it can get out of hand and be quite busy quickly...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts