Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pixel, our two-year-old Tibbie mix(?) who we got from the shelter a few weeks ago, has just this evening taken a Greenie* outside and buried it. She then dug it up and brought it back inside and is running around the apartment with it trying to find a new place to bury it and whimpering a little, presumably because she can't find one inside (even though the door to the backyard is open and she could totally re-bury it there).

At first it was a little humorous but now I'm sad from all the whimpering! She keeps trying to hide it in our couch but there's no actual open space between the cushions so she can't!

Any thoughts? It's bad enough that she spends a chunk of weekdays alone while we're at work, I'm overwhelmed with puppy guilt now! Is there anything I can do to help ease her frustrations?

* (I've seen a lot of talk about the healthiness of Greenies, but I'm so used to them- my parents have always given their dogs Greenies. Pixel gets no more than one per week, under supervision.)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Can you distract her away from it? I'm not one for encouraging burying, but I plant gardens every spring, so I don't want my dog digging up that portion of the yard. Any behavior you encourage now will continue long past the puppy guilt, so consider that.

What is a Greenie?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I knew a dog who would do that with her treats. Her owners usually had to sneak her bones away and put them back in the cupboard when she got too obsessed. Try to distract her and nab the Greenie while she's distracted, and try to get her mind on something less stressful than the harrowing decision of where to hide her Greenie :p.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Willowy! I'll remember that next time. I'm familiar with diggers (we had a lab when I was growing up who loooved to dig under the fence and visit the neighbors), but I've never actually had a dog that wanted to bury things!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I had a dog that would always bury any hard treats/chews. He would wander around whining trying to find the perfect place to hide it from the other 2 dogs. Inevitably, he'd bury it beneath the outside faucet where the ground was soft. Christie (dog in my sig) would wait until he came in and back upstairs and she'd run down, dig it up and bring it back to bed with her...EVERY TIME. Poor Barney never did figure out that he might want a better hiding place!

Rusty, my current Chow/Border collie, will also go bury things. One christmas, he stole all of the wrapped dog toys from underneath the Christmas tree, and buried them (still wrapped) in the backyard. Christmas Eve, when we were unwrapping gifts, I couldn't find theirs. The next day, I was out back and noticed a lump in the corner of the yard...and found a wrapped dog toy. So I started searching, and eventually found them all.
If I shut the doggie door so he can't go out, he'll wander around with his bone/chew and whine looking for a place to hide it.

My Mom's Lhasa (since passed away), used to try to bury milk bones on the Corderoy couch. He rubbed the black off his nose one time trying to "cover it up"!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
spotted nikes: Interesting! We only have one dog :) But there ARE a lot of other dogs in our neighborhood (3 or 4 pet-friendly complexes all next to one another), so maybe that's why.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Our Skyler buries his high value chews. It's amusing to us how frantic he walks around, chew in mouth, looking for THE spot. THE spot is usually under the side of our shirts if on the couch, under my breast if I am in bed, or his number one spot, under our pillows. If we are in bed, he brings the chew up, we lift a corner of the pillow he seems to be choosing then we help him pull the covers up so he can nose the sheets into place to cover it. All is well in the world again. Until......

He falls asleep & our Chloe comes to get the chew :). He is so confused when it magically disappears but seems to let it go as soon as he can't find it, as if "oh well".

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Haha, luv2byte, that's adorable!
It totally cracks me up, 2.5yrs later. I can't help but grin when I give the dogs new chews. Hubby knows exactly what I am up to just from my grin. He says it's mean of me but they do like their chews. Chloe is so passive & sweet but she has figured out his hiding spots. When he "buries" it in his dog bed in the living room, she waits & watches, he walks away, she steals the chew, he then looks very very confused as if he is thinking " now how did she find that?".

·
Registered
468 Posts
* (I've seen a lot of talk about the healthiness of Greenies, but I'm so used to them- my parents have always given their dogs Greenies. Pixel gets no more than one per week, under supervision.)
It isn't necessarily that greenies are unhealthy, it is that they are not very digestible. Many dogs have had to undergo emergency surgery for bloat and other stomach issues only to have the vet find a piece of greenie blocking their intestines. Their plastic-y texture I guess makes it hard for dog's body to digest. Even if you watch her to make sure she doesn't choke, you cannot prevent a piece of greenie from blocking one of her intestines no matter how much supervision you giver her.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts