Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we have a slight dilemma.

Spring has come, and so has the decision to build a new and improved rabbit hutch, because I can't stand the rabbits being in the house any longer. They're messy, a huge chore to clean, and they smell (just imagine eight rabbits being kept indoors... despite how clean you keep it, you're not going to get rid of all the odor!). I love them all, but they need to be outside in this lovely weather, but I can't do that unless I know for sure that Basil is a female and Willow a male. I'm fairly sure that's what they are, but not one-hundred percent.

You see, here's the deal. In November we took the two "babies" (who are now a year old) to the vet's and had them checked. He said, quite assuredly, that they were all girls... yes! So, due to a lack of hutches, we just kept them all together. However, a few months later a litter of two dead babies was found in their hutch, and I was absolutely dumbfounded. So there was either two males along with the female, Spice, (who happened to be their mother) or one male. Well, I separated them, and about one to two weeks later Spice gave birth. Splendid. So now I'm faced with trying to figure out who is a boy and who is a girl, since I assume -from the information present- that there's only one male. Well, Basil started growing in some long, luxurious bangs (I hadn't even noticed that she lost her hair), so I figured she had pulled all of her hair out to kindle her dead babies. But... whenever she's around Spice, she tries to mount her. Is this just a territorial thing, or do I have it all wrong?

Also, I don't know too much about rabbit gendering, but Willow -who is the one I assume is the male- has two... erm... pouches on either side of his genitals while Basil has none. I know, this is a totally silly question, but I want to be absolutely sure... even though the answer is probably pretty obvious. :p

So after that very odd explanation, am I right? Is Willow what I think he is? And am I safe to assume Basil is still a she?

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
The two "pouches" are testicles, so willow is a boy. To check the gender of young rabbits you can lay them on their back and push just above the genitalia, something will pop out on both females and males. If its a female there will be a slit going down what popped out. If its a male it will only have a little dot on the end.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hm, I've checked over the bunnies multiple times and couldn't see a difference in any of them. That's sort of what happened with Willow as well, because when I checked him I thought he looked like a girl. And then the babies came. I'll recheck the babies and see if I can come up with anything conclusive...

But what about the female mounting thing? I noticed my other female, Spice, doing the same thing to Basil. Is it something to display dominance, like in dogs? Other than that sort of behavior, the two seem fine together.

Quick update!!

I was just visiting my litter of four babies... melgrj7, your explanation really helped a lot, and I do believe that I have two boys and two girls, a lucky split! If what I found was correct, then Willow is definitely a boy and Basil is a lovely little girly. :)

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Rabbits are so hard to sex, especially before the boys' testicles drop! I wanted a male when I got Pansy, but after she was 4 months old and had no testicles, I figured it out. Have you contacted all the animal rescue places in your area to ask about low-cost spay/neuter for bunnies? Once they're all fixed, it won't matter who's who, LOL.

Hope you get them all figured out so you don't get more babies. Rabbits breed like.....well, rabbits!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts