Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We noticed a small bump like a rash on the neck of our 5 months old Maltipoo puppy, took him immediately to the vet and he prescribed 10 days of Antibiotics and advised to apply Polysporin ointment.

He scratches the wound and we had to cover it with bandage cloth to avoid any bleeding and help in healing.

Now the bump looks bigger but seems to be drying, took him to vet again and was told nothing to worry.

Attached the picture, I'm getting concerned, any advise will be really helpful.

Thanks
Buddy Skin - July12.jpg

·
Banned
125 Posts
i can't see from the pic exactly where on the neck the bump is located, was wondering if one of those dog lamp shades might help...?

·
Super Moderator
2,717 Posts
Did the vet say anything about what he thought it was? If it's a hot spot (moist dermatitis), drying out it a natural and good part of the healing process, like a scab over a scrape. But skin lesions like this could be any number of other things as well, so it's impossible to tell you anything helpful without that diagnosis.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did the vet say anything about what he thought it was? If it's a hot spot (moist dermatitis), drying out it a natural and good part of the healing process, like a scab over a scrape. But skin lesions like this could be any number of other things as well, so it's impossible to tell you anything helpful without that diagnosis.
Thanks for your response, I took him twice to the vet and last time the vet mentioned exactly as you said, the black scab shows it's healing. But still I'm not able to understand what caused it so that I can be more cautious in the future.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i can't see from the pic exactly where on the neck the bump is located, was wondering if one of those dog lamp shades might help...?
Thanks for your response. The redness on the skin as seen in the pic was the bump I was referring about. It's the size of a sliced chickpea to feel on the skin.

·
Super Moderator
2,717 Posts
If it's a hot spot, there's a whole host of potential causes. A wound or scrape that gets irritated, clipper burn, excessive licking due to itchy skin, allergies, or an injury. Moisture getting on the skin and staying there for an extended period (think a dog taking a swim or bath and not being fully dried out after, or moisture getting trapped under a damp collar), allergic reactions to food or environmental allergies, etc. etc. Basically it's the kind of thing that you want to keep an eye on, but for a single isolated occurrence it's going to be difficult to identify the cause (and expensive, if you go through lots of allergy testing that might not tell you anything). If it becomes a chronic, reoccurring problem, it's definitely worth deeper investigation, but it's fairly normal for a healthy dog to get one every so often.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it's a hot spot, there's a whole host of potential causes. A wound or scrape that gets irritated, clipper burn, excessive licking due to itchy skin, allergies, or an injury. Moisture getting on the skin and staying there for an extended period (think a dog taking a swim or bath and not being fully dried out after, or moisture getting trapped under a damp collar), allergic reactions to food or environmental allergies, etc. etc. Basically it's the kind of thing that you want to keep an eye on, but for a single isolated occurrence it's going to be difficult to identify the cause (and expensive, if you go through lots of allergy testing that might not tell you anything). If it becomes a chronic, reoccurring problem, it's definitely worth deeper investigation, but it's fairly normal for a healthy dog to get one every so often.
Thanks for the response, I'm taking him back to the vet tomorrow. Maybe it requires a biopsy just to rule out anything serious and perhaps the wound needs to be drained out to help in healing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts