Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I’m new to this group, I’m also a first time dog mom. I always had cats.
My girls love the bully sticks! I have a full bag of pieces I have had to take away as they are too small so they won’t swallow! Any suggestions on what I could do with those? The bones are so expensive with 2 of them, I was wondering if they could possibly be melted down & made into a larger bulky stick, instead of just throwing them away? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Google "bully stick holder". I've seen ads for several different ones. Alternatively, you could just use a pair of Vice Grip pliers to hold onto the end while they chew on it. I don't think they would melt down, but you might could run them through a food processor to chop them into little bits to use as a meal topping.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Oh man. I've been giving our dog these cut into 3" pieces and she eats the whole thing. RedBarn Bully Slices
It usually takes her a while and she chews them up really good. Should I be taking them away from her when they get small? She really would not like that if we took it away.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Oh man. I've been giving our dog these cut into 3" pieces and she eats the whole thing. RedBarn Bully Slices
It usually takes her a while and she chews them up really good. Should I be taking them away from her when they get small? She really would not like that if we took it away.
It really depends on the dog & their chewing 'style'. If your dog just continues to chew on the small piece until it is soft before swallowing, there is no reason to take it away. Now, if she's prone to simply swallowing the last hard bit once it can fit in her mouth, that could present a problem.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
A better and less expensive choice for your dogs would be frozen raw meaty bones

Bully sticks, hooves etc are chemical laden to preserve them. Anything made of dried rawhide is indigestible and can cause a blockage. The big cooked bones are splintery.

A lot of $$$ is made selling this stuff.. when the better option is a plain old raw meaty bone! Bully sticks are (supposed to be) bull penis dried... but treated to preserve them. There is only one per steer so they are expensive. I recently have cone to doubt if all the ones available are truly this part of the steer as they are so numerous and so available commercially.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Go to the Butcher or Grocery Store. You freeze them. I am part of a raw dog food co-op.and also get rib bones from them when I order food.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Go to the Butcher or Grocery Store. You freeze them. I am part of a raw dog food co-op.and also get rib bones from them when I order food.
For a smaller dog, what type of bone should you ask for? A rib might be too much for a smaller dog. And is it a beef or pork rib?
Sorry if these are dumb questions.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
For a little dog neck bones (cut up) will work. Marrow bones will work. Beef or pork doesn't matter. Normally I avoid weight bearing bones like marrow bones.. but I have German Shepherds who will break their teeth on hard bones. The equation changes with little dogs.

The bones need to be large enough so they do not pose a choking hazard.

As an aside your dog will also have pearly white teeth!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts