Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just turned on to bully sticks for my two small pups - 7 month old rescues (one a bichon/poodle, and the other a bichon/shizu). They *LOVE* them, especially the ones by forPups. They're some of the best reviewed (and cheapest) ones I've found on Amazon, but are there any better brands out there?

Or, more importantly, should I be giving these to my pups as treats? Because the boys are small, I only give them a small one (and only about once a week). Is that okay?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes Bully Sticks are fine for your 7 month old puppies, it's important that chew on something nutritious like bully sticks especially when they're still at the age. Good idea in giving it to them once a week.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Bully sticks are a great chewing option for most dogs. I have a big dog who bites them into chunks and swallows them instead of chewing on them and then vomits up the chunks, so obviously they aren't good for her. But for most dogs, they're great.

I looked at the link to the product you purchase and it seems fine. I personally wouldn't buy them as I like the chews I feed my dogs to be sourced from America. The ones you purchase are from India/Bangladesh. Which might be fine, just not my preference.

I buy 99% of the chews (and actually, everything else too lol) for my dogs from BestBullySticks.com and Chewy.com . Prices are usually better than amazon and a better selection/variety of chews.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I bought the largest ones I could find because I didn't trust my dog to chew the end until soft before swallowing. A large one would last for several chew sessions so less would be wasted.

Reduce the following meal if you find the dogs' stools are soft or they are gaining weight. Bully sticks are fine sources of protein and a good addition to the diet but too much food can be a problem.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Hmm. I went to bestbullysticks.com to check those out. Most say globally sourced or brazillian free range. Not seeing any American sourced
Hm, they used to have a section from the pull down menu that provided the list of bully sticks made and sourced in the USA. I believe they were more expensive so maybe they did away with them. Personally I rarely feed bully sticks as I think there are better options for my dogs' preferences. For example, I would rather offer a raw meaty bone or a stuffed beef trachea than a bully stick as I feel they last longer and provide more enrichment, as well as less of a choking hazard, for my dogs at least. I also make my dogs jerky with a dehydrator, and occasionally give them a pig ear.

I recently bought them all lickimats, and I smear them with a mixture of raw ground beef, greek yogurt, and sardines and freeze them for about 30 minutes. Takes even my chow hound 20-30 minutes to go through that, and does wonders for getting that stubborn tartar off their front teeth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts