Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.... I have a 4 month old, 30 lb Goldendoodle who swallowed a 5" Bully Stick Sunday night. I normally take them away when they get down to 5" or so... He was at my feet in the family room and I looked down to see him chewing on it and the next thing I knew... He swallowed and it was gone. He acted fine afterward and fine all day yesterday.. Eating, playing , peeing, pooping as normal. However this morning after going out to pee and eliminate... He didn't want his morning bowl of food. Then threw up yellow foam bile. After about 30 min he came to his water and food bowl...drank and ate just 3 or 4 bites.. About 10 min later he threw it all up. Then began acting lethargic.

I just returned from vet.. No fever. Vet didn't know what to think about bully stick.. It's supposed to be 100% digestible and obviously is not a choking hazard since it's been over 36 hours. He wondered if it was taking a long time to digest in his stomach which is causing his stomach to be upset. My dog eliminated again about an hour ago so that's twice he has gone this morning.... That helps with any fear I have about the bully stick clogging him up.

Vet gave a shot for vomiting and said remove food for the rest of day and monitor behavior.

He's just laying around...not playful...definitely doesn't feel good. I don't know if there is undigested bully stick in his stomach causing this.... Or if he just has a bug.

Has anyone experienced anything like this after their dog swallowed part of a bully stick?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,186 Posts
Well, I've had dogs who would eat any darn thing and worry about if was food later, so I have some insight into this. Since the vet says your dog is okay and there's proof there's no blockage, I'd say his tummy is upset, probably from the bully stick, and with some fasting and then a bland diet for a few days, he'll be fine. There's a lot of room between "makes dog sick" and "is killing the dog", you know? As upsetting as it is to watch your little guy being sick, I think he'll be okay. And learn absolutely nothing from the experience, lol.

Obvs, if he doesn't improve in a day or two, back to the vet you go, but I think he'll probably bounce back by tomorrow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
Did the vet take an x-ray (not sure if a bully stick would show up) or prescribe antibiotics (in case it is a bug)? That's what our vet suggested when I had to take our 6-month old puppy to the vet last week with similar symptoms. He didn't eat anything that I was aware of though.

After fasting him, feed him a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice or something similar and see how he reacts. If he improves he'll probably be fine, but if he doesn't get any better I would take him back to the vet.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top