Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several cats in my home that are very enticing to my new pup. A couple of them basically stay safely in our bedroom. a couple of them are content to hang out in their usual places on the back of the couch (this probably won't work for long, but for now Chewie can't get on the couch to reach them). He is capable of letting them walk past him if he's calm and busy with a chew toy. If they stay close too long, he starts following them until they run/jump away, then he will chase as far as he can go. They can all escape him at this point.

The youngest cat, however, is about 1 year old and fears no one. He was a foster failure who had come to the shelter where I fostered as a tiny 4-5 week old kitten (Bear) with no siblings or mother (similar to Chewie's background). Anyway, not only is Bear not intimidated at all by a rambunctious puppy, he will actually stalk him and smack him on the face/head for no reason (he does this to the other cats sometimes, too). Chewie mostly keeps his distance, but as he's become more comfortable here, he will get within a foot of Bear and playbow, bark, whine, and generally bounce around. I doubt Bear will ever actually play with him, but should I let them work it out or interfere in some way? I don't want either to get hurt, but I can't figure out whether letting Bear put him in his place with his smacks is wise, or not.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
NEVER let the dog chase a cat. EVER. Period. That is rule #1 since as the dog gets bigger, the cats get smaller and guess who will win at some point in the future (it won't be the cat). NEVER leave the dog alone with the cats loose in the house if you go out. Dogs kick into prey drive and cats will die. As to the cat whacking the dog.. a day may come when the dog is no longer afraid and the cat may lose his life for being so confident and precocious.

Keep an eye on things. Send Bear packing when he gets snotty and starts to stalk. Redirect the puppy when he gets after the cats. Use a line on the puppy. You get to be the boss here.

BTW what kind of puppy is he and how big do you think he will get?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response! How likely is this to resolve as he matures? This is the first puppy I've had since we've had cats. He's only 9 weeks so I'm afraid I have a long road ahead...

Oh, and the shelter guessed he's a retriever/German Shepherd mix so I'm assuming he'll grow to be that size.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts