Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You experience *bully ignorance* ??

When i first got bless which is going back 9 years i wouldnt have dreamed of being on a forum talking about dogs,i just had one and that was that.

Bless just used to roll with me and i didnt ever leash her,she knows traffic signals,when to cross and has always been a wonderful dog to own.
When i got the 2nd dog i did the same thing untill he got run over and to disbelief survived 100% unharmed,so back then i guess i was quite an irresponsible dog owner i've always been a big time animal lover but just sort of went with the flow.

Since the big dawg came into the pack (which is when i 1st came to DF seeking advice and wanting to know other dog lovers) things changed slowly people obviously look more than once when you own more than 2 dogs no matter the breed But....3 bully breeds,boy its hard work when your out and about!

Since Aslan has grown and now the summer has reached it gets more and more tense,if i had'nt joined here then maybe i would'nt give a crap what the general public or other dog owners think but i do,i think maybe i have the classic bully breed owner look and it adds to the wary factor.

My dogs are leashed and under full control so i dont get it,i get the fact people are scared because of misconceptions but i try and stop and talk to anyone who cares to talk back.
I love all things bully breed and will be their advocate where im at but what about you other bully breed owners..do you experience similar things and what do YOU do??

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
I have a bit of the "scary" look though in a different vein...piercings and such...

one thing I have found really helps and would really change the attitude is..

hug your dogs. stop right there and give them a load of affection. let them be affectionate towards you. it puts people at ease...like "Oh that person LOVES those dogs and the dogs love them right back.

it shows that the dogs are more than just a symbol of supposed "badazzedness"

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zim i do that,did it today infact with Bless,went down to her and let her lick me all over my face to the passing "dirty looker".

Sometimes it makes you think though having to do things like that just to prove a point or make a statement.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
It depends on the situation.

Like what the issue is and what they say (if anything).

It also depends if I have my dogs or not.

But for the few people I meet like that I try to explain to them what I think the true temperament is for the breed and about proper breeding/raising. If they believe any myths or have serious questions I answer. But there are 2 kinds of ignorant people, their are ones who just don't know, simply because they haven't had experience with the breed but hear the bad stuff about them. Then their are the kind which again don't know but don't care to know. They are the rude kind usually too. They want to argue with you and say really stupid stuff. Although some of the 2nd type I have to wonder if they truly believe what they say or their strong feelings come from the need to hate/anger as that is what it seems to me. I see this with more then just Pit Bulls, heck more then controversial topics. Some people just randomly hate certain things/people or multiple things just because they have issues. After all their are forums for dog haters in general, now who could hate a dog?

If I have my dogs they can see how friendly they are too!

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I might not be a bully breed owner per se, but it doesn't stop people from insisting or giving off the impression that they think Marge is a Pit Bull. I get it a LOT.

Honestly, alot of time, I let it go. I make sure Marge is super well behaved so that any thoughts of uncontrolledness (is that a word) or viciousness, etc get thrown out the window. I've tried to educate people by talking to them, but sadly many people are set in their ways.

Be an ambassador for your breeds and everything will hopefully fall into place eventually. They're the one's missing out.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Zim i do that,did it today infact with Bless,went down to her and let her lick me all over my face to the passing "dirty looker".

Sometimes it makes you think though having to do things like that just to prove a point or make a statement.
Good Morning Mr Pooch
Go with the flow as I think you will go whacko trying to change some people's attitudes/feelings towards your dogs or bully breeds in general. Since joining DF I have heard more stupid, really stupid stuff that happens to people out walking their dogs properly leashed and in control. If just 1/10th of what they vent about in their posts is true about some of the idiots they encounter on their walks I would either quit walking or buy some type of automatic weapon to really give the idiots something to be scared about.

·
Registered
473 Posts
If I don't know the person, I don't go out of my way to change their minds. I guess I just try to lead by example (though that can be tough with a 7 mos. old puppy).

The only time I try to educate and sway peoples' opinions are if I know them.

·
Banned
342 Posts
In most cases I find that thier is little that you can do even after spending the time to talk to strangers or by setting a example of having a well behaved dog. I have several videos of filming my scarey dogs at the park heeling next to me on a loose leash,exhibiting excellent obedience commands, and under calm self control while other dog owners are frantically moving out of the way with thier out of control straining on leash and barking dog. They do not get it. Probably never will.

:)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hopefully our part to combat that ignorance at least leads to a repeal of BSL or preventing its spread. Personally I think legislation that has BS as its first two letters is a massive dose of bovine scatology, but I digress.

Anyhoo, I figure anyone who owns so-called 'dangerous' breeds (I own a veritable social butterfly of a Malinois myself and am considering adopting a pitbull) should definitely be responsible as a dog owner and make their dog a good/calm animal in public.

I've taken mine on countless walks and he's a veritable social butterfly with most people, canid and homnid alike.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I own a Rotti and Chi, who I walk together. People STILL cross the street sometimes, or will move waaaay over on the sidewalk. I had my dog laying down outside the grocery store the other night, waiting for my hubby, and a guy came out, saw us, and turned around so fast he almost fell.:eek:

Then there are the people that think we are cute, who recognize how well behaved my dogs are, and stop to talk and ask questions. Right now it's about half and half.

·
Registered
442 Posts
We've been really lucky, I guess. We don't know what Mayzie is exactly but it's obvious she's a bully mix of some sort. People LOVE dogs here and we find that more people want to pet her than our cute little rat terrier, Ranger. Probably because Mayzie is so friendly and sweet...and Ranger, well, he's a terrier.

However, we went to the dog park the other day and a woman came in with her two dogs. She kept trying to call them away from us (even though she didn't try to call them away from anyone else) and on more than one occasion, Mayzie went up to her wanting to be petted and the woman ignored her entirely. I finally figured it was because of how Mayzie looks. I just shrugged it off and figured it was her loss that she missed out on Mayzie-lovin'.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts