Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I can only speak from the experience I have with my dog, who is the only "bully breed" I've ever personally owned and grown to know. Charlotte is not a purebred, keep in mind though. She's a combination of Heeler and we THINK American Staff, though that's based on what everyone else tells us.

1. How often are there smaller ones around 30-35 lbs (probably up to 45 is alright)? That's probably the size I'm looking for as my next dog.

Charlotte weighs 35 pounds exactly. APBT are larger, in the 45+ range, where as Am. Staffs are smaller.

2. How biddable is your particular dog?

Charlotte is very good is MOST situations. She does have issues focusing however when around strange dogs. We're working on this though.

3. I keep hearing they can be DR/DA and it's quite common, is that an exaggeration or is DR that common? I kind of want a dog that would be alright going to the dog park, it's really not necessary but I hope I can find a dog like that.

It varies from dog to dog, but unfortunately yes, they DO have a higher tendency to be DA. In Charlotte's case, there's some dogs she meets and automatically loves, and others she meets and hates. We believe her aggression is fear based. She was a street dog my husband found in downtown Nashville, TN while he was hitch hiking through. Her body was covered in scars and bite marks and it was pretty obvious that she had been through something during her time out there, most likely run ins with other strays or fighting for food. As for bringing them to the dog park, I'd strongly advise against it. And this is something I don't hold just towards bulldogs. I think public dog parks are a bad idea for ANY breed, because quite literally anything can go wrong there.

4. Reliability off leash?

Charlotte is very good offleash, however we keep her leashed in areas with high probability of running into other dogs to avoid trouble. We allow her offleash on our property or out in the woods though.

5. Exercise requirements? The least I would do is about 2 hours a day, 1 hr walking, 1 hour dog park, fetch, games, w/e. That's what I have to do with Nia anyways.

I'm constantly moving with Charlotte, as she accompanies me through out the days, so a lot of her exercise she gets from that. Then just before dark, we spend about an hour out in the yard, playing around with her kong or something. All in all, she's a very mellow dog that's up for whatever you want to do.

6. General health? Are they a healthy breed? I realize there are a few different bully breeds but are they all pretty healthy?

This I'm honestly not sure of this. Charlotte has teeth issues due to an underbite, but I'm not sure about illnesses that are prone to the specific breed.

7. Are they prone to SA?

Not sure what SA means

8. Are they more confrontational dogs or like to avoid conflict? I really love dogs that try to avoid conflict as much as possible, Paps are really like that.

Yes and no. Charlotte has never started a fight with another dog before. Typically, she avoids other dogs. But she NEVER backs down from a challenge.

9. Would you ever leave your bully breed unsupervised with another dog at home, provided they are about the same size. I'm not going to leave Nia and a 35-40 lb dog unsupervised in the house of course.

Depends on how comfortable they are with each other. Charlotte would only get along with another dog that was really non-confrontational and submissive to her. Charlotte is by no means a bully to other dogs, but if they "step on her toes" somehow, they would HAVE to back down imediatly. In her particular case, that's the only way it would work.

10. Anything else you think I should know?

I'd be aware of the BSL in your area or particular areas you plan to go to.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
actually Rcloud..Amstaffs are bigger generally..in the 60ish pound and up range..APBT are 35 to 60ish generally
You're right, it's the Staffordshire Bull Terrier I was thinking of that's smaller. I always get my bully breeds confused.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I may be just a novice to Pitbulls, but from what I gather from documentaries and what not that I've watched, even in "professional" pitbull fighting rings, the percentage of dogs culled due to NOT wanting to fight is much higher then those that actually DO fight (I think I also read this in the book The Lost Dogs). That doesn't mean people shouldn't walk on the side of caution with these dogs around other dogs, nor does it mean these dogs are for everyone. But I think there's a lot of people in the bully breed world who add to their image of being blood thirsty monsters by being TOO cautious. You can respect a breed's bloody history without treating them as if they are a loaded gun.

Just my humble 2 cents.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts