Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
1. How often are there smaller ones around 30-35 lbs (probably up to 45 is alright)? That's probably the size I'm looking for as my next dog.: Near me it's common but not SUPER common, you often find the shorter but bulkier bode type. (So less height and more muscle mass/weight) Jetta is 22' at the shoulders and a hefty 56 pounds of muscle. Everyone thinks she's more in the 35-45 range however.

2. How biddable is your particular dog? Extremely, she not perfect, being a very intellegent dog she has her moments of horror-dom but all in all she's extremely good.

3. I keep hearing they can be DR/DA and it's quite common, is that an exaggeration or is DR that common? I kind of want a dog that would be alright going to the dog park, it's really not necessary but I hope I can find a dog like that.

In my area...I don't see too mant truly DA/DR dogs...then agian I'd like to think I hang out with the right sorts of people. Are you more likely to run into these problems rescueing an adult, yes. But this is with any breed imho.

4. Reliability off leash? Jetta's prey drive has been controled since she was itty bitty, critters are friends not food. She's extremely reliable off leash in appropriate places. As for a bully with high prey drive (such as my friend's Romeo) I wouldn't chance it.

5. Exercise requirements? The least I would do is about 2 hours a day, 1 hr walking, 1 hour dog park, fetch, games, w/e. That's what I have to do with Nia anyways. It varies for my crew, they play in the back yard several tims a day anywhere from 10minutes to an hour. We often go for walks for about an hour, somedays we do hiking a bit sometimes a TON, somedays we go to the dog park for hours. It all depends on the dog, if Jetta doesn't do more then play in the back yard one day she's not too stressed over it.

6. General health? Are they a healthy breed? I realize there are a few different bully breeds but are they all pretty healthy?
As far as I know they tend to be.

7. Are they prone to SA?
I've never heard of a Bully with real SA, they LOVE them their people but I really don't know.

8. Are they more confrontational dogs or like to avoid conflict? I really love dogs that try to avoid conflict as much as possible, Paps are really like that.
A lot of bullies I know won't START anything 98% of the time, but I've seen them tend to finish it. Jetta herself is a VERY nonconfrontational.

9. Would you ever leave your bully breed unsupervised with another dog at home, provided they are about the same size. I'm not going to leave Nia and a 35-40 lb dog unsupervised in the house of course. I have, Jetta has known the boys since she was 6 weeks old, if there where any squabbles etc. I wouldn't but there's never been any. Usually the boys are left out and she's in the crate however, more to protect my house from a bored pibble then to protect any dog.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I can understand where you come from Darkmoon, but to say that left unattended, your other dog WILL die seems a bit over the top. I'm not saying that they're cute, fluffy bunnies who would never heart a fly. But to say that you HAVE to do ______ to own a bully well... just isn't right to me. Are there dog who shouldn't be allowed in dog parks, who need CONSTANT monitoring...yes...is that bullies in general i don't think so. Everyone knows their own dogs and should plan accordingly. I take Jetta to the dog park, she's a bully, I know my dog and am confident in doing this. It IMHO should all be a case by case basis....and people should be able to be trusted with to do this (though I know a LOT who can't be).

As for the needing thick skin, I agree 100%. I've come home completely pissed off about the things people decide they need to say about Jetta. Most of the time while their "angel" lab/german shephered/border collie etc. is starting fights and dragging them around the store.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts