Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I've been hanging around a few pit bulls or pit mixes and I must say I'm really starting to love them. I'm sort of wondering if my next dog or the one after could possibly be a bully breed of some sort. If I were to get a bully breed, it'll most definitely be a shelter dog because there are just SO MANY out there.

The ones I've met are actually relatively calm but can fetch for a long time. The owners said their dogs are pretty lazy in the house and that might be good if I have to work 40 + hours a week.

So I have a couple of questions, mind you I know virtually nothing about the different types of bully breeds like APBT, Am staffy, etc. I don't think I have much of a preference anyways since it will be a rescue. I'll take whichever comes up and suits me the most temperamentally.

1. How often are there smaller ones around 30-35 lbs (probably up to 45 is alright)? That's probably the size I'm looking for as my next dog.

2. How biddable is your particular dog?

3. I keep hearing they can be DR/DA and it's quite common, is that an exaggeration or is DR that common? I kind of want a dog that would be alright going to the dog park, it's really not necessary but I hope I can find a dog like that.

4. Reliability off leash?

5. Exercise requirements? The least I would do is about 2 hours a day, 1 hr walking, 1 hour dog park, fetch, games, w/e. That's what I have to do with Nia anyways.

6. General health? Are they a healthy breed? I realize there are a few different bully breeds but are they all pretty healthy?

7. Are they prone to SA?

8. Are they more confrontational dogs or like to avoid conflict? I really love dogs that try to avoid conflict as much as possible, Paps are really like that.

9. Would you ever leave your bully breed unsupervised with another dog at home, provided they are about the same size. I'm not going to leave Nia and a 35-40 lb dog unsupervised in the house of course.

10. Anything else you think I should know?

I realize a lot of it is up to the individual dog but I just want to know in general.

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the answer.

I wanted to add that there will definitely be a dog walker that comes to take the dog for about an hour outside every day, otherwise the dogs will get dropped off at my mom's for the day until after work so they won't be completely alone and they can get their potty breaks and walks.

The only thing putting me off is dog reactivity or aggression. True dog aggression something I really don't want to deal with.

Acceptance of bully breeds aren't too bad around here actually, I often see pits in the dog park here and all seems to be well but then I didn't talk to the dog park dog owners that much so who knows.

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Darn, maybe pits are out for me then. I'd really love to have at least one dog that I can take to the dog park! Most BCs are not social enough to be dp dogs either.

Also I don't like to crate more than I absolutely need to and if I'm out for 6 or 8 hours at a time, even if a dog walker comes in between, that's an awful lot of time in a crate.

I guess I could just separate the dogs by putting one dog upstairs to free roam and one downstairs with a door in between or 3 baby gates stacked hmm...

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I for sure don't want a pitty puppy. I'm leaning towards Staffys if anything just because they're smaller. But honestly I just want to rescue so I'm not that picky at all.

An older one is really a good idea I just feel so bad because I see sooo many of them in the shelter but all the ones I've met are amazing dogs :(

The bothersome thing to me is DA and breed prejudice, that's probably the biggest reason preventing me from getting a pit in the future. I love the breed for the most part but I don't know if I can deal with flat out negotiable dog aggression @[email protected]

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'm not 100% set on the breed and also I don't care about going to the dog park that much. I just hoped that one day I'll be able to get some kind of dog that can go to the dog park. Nia doesn't do well in most dog parks here because there aren't separate areas for large and stop dogs and she often gets trampled lol. My next dog will probably be a BC and most of them aren't social enough to enjoy the dog park either, although I'm hoping I'll get lucky and end up with one that likes it. I know only a small handful of BCs that like going to the dog park.

Crating isn't a problem with me either, since I'll be owning small dogs (Paps) and medium dogs (BCs) together, some will have to be crated/separated into different rooms anyways, that doesn't change much.

Actually, in my opinion, the breed sounds like an alright match for me, the only problem being their DA/DR tendencies which I really don't like. Paps and BCs have a tendency to be DR as well, but I've never heard or many any with flat out DA. That's what scares me, I can deal with DR without a problem.

The other thing is, I believe that all dogs should get off leash play time but since most people have said pits shouldn't be off leash, I guess that confines off leash time to the backyard only. It's not a huge deal either, I'm pretty flexible at any rate. I'm hoping in the future I'll have some land (fenced) by my house anyways so that could work pretty well.

Renting isn't a problem with me, I won't be renting at all and honestly I'm not picking up a bully anytime soon. If I do, it's probably going to be after my next dog and I love zim's suggestion, I would probably go for an older one.

Thanks for all your replies :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts