Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
1. How often are there smaller ones around 30-35 lbs (probably up to 45 is alright)? That's probably the size I'm looking for as my next dog.

in rescue not as often. they're usually big, bulky or both. the smaller guys do come through rescue some though

2. How biddable is your particular dog?

which one? there is a lot of temperamental variability. Bolo is biddable enough that even with insane dog aggression, she will sit still if i ask her to when there's another dog around.

the others in my house right now...one is a stoopid teenager and a hellion. one is an elderbull and a biddable hellion and the other two waffle between lump of mud and comedian.

3. I keep hearing they can be DR/DA and it's quite common, is that an exaggeration or is DR that common? I kind of want a dog that would be alright going to the dog park, it's really not necessary but I hope I can find a dog like that.

no.

4. Reliability off leash?

breed prejudice makes this an EXTREMELY bad idea. the other thing that makes it a bad idea is that even if a pit bull is NOT dog aggressive...if another dog starts something..where is the finger going to be pointing?

5. Exercise requirements? The least I would do is about 2 hours a day, 1 hr walking, 1 hour dog park, fetch, games, w/e. That's what I have to do with Nia anyways.

varies.

6. General health? Are they a healthy breed? I realize there are a few different bully breeds but are they all pretty healthy?

very. in the grand scheme of things pit bulls are very healthy. because they have traditionally been outcrossed between the three major pit bull type breeds.

7. Are they prone to SA?

they're people whores. as long as there's a people within a discernable radius..they've got teh loves..

8. Are they more confrontational dogs or like to avoid conflict? I really love dogs that try to avoid conflict as much as possible, Paps are really like that.

no...bullies are buttheads and complete clowns.

9. Would you ever leave your bully breed unsupervised with another dog at home, provided they are about the same size. I'm not going to leave Nia and a 35-40 lb dog unsupervised in the house of course.

NEVER EVER EVER EVER.

10. Anything else you think I should know?

narrow your breeds down? maybe?

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
too big. Ambulls are more in the 60ish range.

Id suggest an elderbull honestly. Michio sound like the perfect elderbull adoptor.

and a senior pit bull is just about the last dog that gonna get adopted. specially if its black.

and Carla Lou..the Pin Ups For Pit Bulls founder's dog...just turned 17. so they can live for a while barring health problems. and even with health problems..Bo is getting up there, pushing double digits with lymphatic system cancer and is still kickin...

they also would be more mellow, less likely to do the DA thing(which as Bo gets on..appears to also be beginning to mellow out)
more stable in temperment...etc.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
As an FYI: one of the therapy dogs that goes to one of our local libraries is severely DA, but he LOVES people. Since therapy dogs cannot ever be within 2-4 feet of each other (and the fact his owner knows all his signals and what to avoid), he is NO THREAT to anyone. He loves, loves, loves people. And he is one of the best therapy dogs that they have. So, I agree with Darnmoon that they can (and should be able to) do it.
that DARNMOON..it's so big..and..i should prolly stop..:p

y'all pay attention to spicy now. srsly. she has the most experience with pits out of anyone on this forum...even me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts