Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 6 month bullmastiff that my wife and I have had for four months. We feed him Iams large breed puppy food (breader started him on this.) About 2 weeks ago, he started having accidents in his cage. We took him to the vet, and they perscribed metronidazole (anti-biotic / anti diarrheal) and the problem went away while he was on the pills. One day after his last pill, he started having accidents again so we took him back to the vet. This time they perscribed metronidazole again, suggested we add Purina forti-flora to his food, and suggested we feed him rice and boiled beef or chicken until the pills run out (5 day supply) and then ween him off the rice and chicken / beef. We are to continue for 30 days with the forti-flora. He also had a fecal sample taken and it came back negative. He acts like he normally did, full of puppy energy!
Well, we have done what the vet recommends for four days and now his diarrhea seems worse to me. He has not had any more accidents, but his droppings are more loose than when we took him in originally. We don't know what to do. Do we put him back on his regular food? Do we continue with this diet hoping it will get better? He only has one pill left, so I am afraid as soon as he is done, he will start having accidents again.

Please
help!

Josh

1 - 1 of 1 Posts