Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience mixing whippets and bully breed dogs? I own two bullies and have the opportunity to add a whippet. I am wondering if anyone has experience blending the breeds. My concerns are mainly about play styles and energy differences. My current two are high drive wackos who play very, very hard with chasing leading to body-slamming, leading to wild wrestling.

I am concerned about injuries resulting from divergent play styles.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
It would be too hard to predict, because it's all about the relationship the two dogs form. Some dogs are keen on not hurting their play partners, and some just don't have a clue, right? Whether your bullies are in the first group or second, would sway my opinion.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine lived with a foster chi/pug for 6 months and played with him without injuring him. Under supervision. And he had knee surgery in that time too. But he wasn't as fast as a whippet, making himself less of a play target...

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We also fostered a corgi, and that group play went well too. Some of the action shots would curl your toes, but it was all fun and games!

Downside: One day the corgi went to give me a substantial "correction" and one of my dogs called BullS##t. No marks, but the "correction" of the "correction" was ugly. The foster adopted out the next day, unharmed!!! But I don't know what going forward would have looked like.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have JRTs and whippets and find the terrier/sighthound a good mix. Whippets are the most terrier like of the sighthounds (they have terrier behind them not all that long ago) but lack the edge and back down to the terriers IME.

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
Chester isn't a bully but he's got the same play style (rough and tumble, lots of play biting) and he's a fairly big guy. He plays well, supervised, with a friend's whippet mix. But he does sometimes get too scary for her and she'll run for cover or jump on someone's lap and I call him away. I'd never leave them together unsupervised.

She looks bigger in this picture than she is. She weighs about 30 lbs to Chester's 75 lbs.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have heard that the skin of greyhounds tends to tear very, very easily because it's so tight, and I know that greyhounds, on the whole, do not make good dog-park dogs due to their prey drive.

From what I understand about the play style of bully breeds, it probably would not be an ideal match. However, every dog or pack is different and that is not a blanket rule.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have heard that the skin of greyhounds tends to tear very, very easily because it's so tight, and I know that greyhounds, on the whole, do not make good dog-park dogs due to their prey drive.

From what I understand about the play style of bully breeds, it probably would not be an ideal match. However, every dog or pack is different and that is not a blanket rule.
The thing is the dog in question is not a greyhound its a whippet. Whippets were developed by crossing terriers and greyhounds. They are smaller and more physical.

My group of dogs consists of 4 JRTs, 2 whippets and a BC. Plus we have lots of doggy visitors. The whippets are the consumate politicians, they can find common ground with pretty much every breed. The BC we have is a rescue and one of those over the top crazy socially inapproprate types. He annoys the whippets by trying to cut them off when they run (and is often fast enough to do so) all they do is stop and bark at him, which then he barks back lol.

A few pics (and yes most pics I have of the BC have his mouth WIDE open lol)

Not relevant to this disucussion, BUT the whippets were also excellent with puppies

they gently nomed and played with the wee ones :)

·
Registered
631 Posts
Just because it amuses me... A puppy littermate to the two above lived just fine with an obviously crazy cocker. They played happily together and it was boisterous.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I don't think it would be anything serious to watch out for, but as someone mentioned about greyhound skin - whippet skin is very tight to their body and when they get a cut that splits them open, it often become bigger due to slight tearing of their tight skin over big bulging muscles.

But, the whippet is an agile dog who can easily outrun almost anything and out match most dogs with their fast dodging abilities and also are very assertive dogs. They don't take crap from others. (Not aggressive, but they know how to stand up for themselves)
If your bullies like to chase things, the whippet will give them a good run for their money and probably tire them out very easily! lol!

Glad to see a whippet owner commenting on this though (referring to Dekka). It's always best to get advice from an owner of the breed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts