Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Bulldog/Bulldogges

4K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  annisez 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I've been looking into the Olde English Bulldogge quite a lot lately. Since a kid, I've always wanted a bulldog. I think it has something to do with Spike from all those Tom & Jerry cartoons I've watched :]. But due to their health problems I reconsidered. I've recently discovered the OEB and I feel they are pretty awesome! But the more I researched them I learned there's rumors of unethical breeders and was wondering if anyone that a knew a thing or two about them could help with a few questions. Like the difference between Hermes and Leavitt bulldogges. And if anyone knows of some reputable breeders in or around New York? At the moment I can't bring one home because I already have a doggy to care of :D, but I really do want one when the time is right. And I am terribly sorry I wrote so much! Just hoping to meet some OEB enthusiasts out there.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I personally have not owned a bulldog but my cousin does and raises them and has 5 adults.I do know they have lots of breathing problems and skin allergies and skin problems.I know they can't stand extreme heat, he will have to bring them all in the house in the summer time.I know the 2 you have mentioned are just bloodlines and you would need to do some research on each line to decide what's right for you and what you are looking for.I think they are adorable!

#3 · (Edited)
Our Buttercup is an OEB! I love them. :)

She is a great dog. She's not always the best behaved and she loves to find stuff to destroy.... But you can't help but love her.
It's important to find a reputable breeder. Butter's previous owner purchased her from a breeder and she's registered with the IOEBA, but I have a feeling that the breeders weren't the best. I contacted them for pictures of her parents and I just got a feeling that they didn't really care too much about where she ended up. I think that we might be her third home.
Anyway, make sure you look into the breeder's lines and like what you see. There are a lot of variations in looks. If I would have purchased Butter from the breeder, I would be very upset right now. She looks different from what OEBs are supposed to. She doesn't have that real bulldog look that I wanted. I was disappointed when I saw her but fell in love anyway.

I don't know all the ins and outs of the different lines. I know the Leavett line was the first and the others popped up because different people wanted different things. I hope that one day there will just be one breed standard. I think David Leavett renamed his line to distance himself from the current OEB lines. Some googling is in order. :)
You can go to the IOEBA website and it lists registered breeders. That's a start at least. :)

Here's my sweet Buttercup!

#4 ·
Yea I honestly didn't know too much about bulldogs until a few months ago. It was disheartening to discover all their health problems. I think you're describing an English Bulldog though. That what was led me to the Olde English Bulldogge. I love them either way but yea I have to look further into breed. Thanks for the feed back!

#11 ·
EBs have health problems, mostly from over breeding and breeders following g fashion instead of the Standard. There are a few very reputable breeders that are trying to improve the breed, but they can be hard to find and generally have quite a waiting list. It's much the same with OEBs as well if you want a pup research carefully and choose a COE breeder.

#5 ·
Yea I think the muzzle is my favorite part of a bulldog! I don't know how I would handle all the problems. That's what got really looking further into the breed. And knowing that a bully can inherit problems form healthy parents is pretty crazy, I didn't think of that. They are awesome though. I actually love stubborn dogs :D. I've only had a chance to meet a few and I love their attitude lol. And this is good I love the feedback, thanks guys.

#6 ·
First off I gotta say, Buttercup's a cutie! Lol :D. She kind of looks like she might have some Boston Terrier in her. She has the bully face though :]. My dog Duke was kind of a master destroyer when he was a puppy too. I had to hide/throw so many things away to cover for him when I was a kid. He's not a bully but I'm pretty he could relate to Buttercup, I think she'll grow out of it like Duke did.
The whole thing with lineage of OEB's is actually what's got me worried. I'm kind of skeptical about getting one because I heard people are just mixing English Bulldogs with Pitbulls and selling them as OEB's :(. I mean I honestly can't bring one home because Duke's going to be 12 and I don't think it'd be fair to bring a puppy home (he's pretty grumpy with other dogs now a days lol). So I'll take all of your advice and look further into them, I've got time :D.
I noticed the replies don't say which is for who so the first one is for Bear2010, the second for MissPenny and the third for Leah00.
I really do appreciate the feedback. I haven't really met any bully lovers so this was nice :D. Thanks agains guys.

#7 ·
I think that the respectable, responsible OEB breeders would not be the one's who are cross breeding. The OEB is a "newer" breed but it's old enough that there are generations and lines. There is no need to cross breed except to make a quick buck.
According to her IOEBA papers, Buttercup's parents were both registered OEBs. I think though that with the different lines and different breeds mixed into the earlier generations, some dogs come out as a throwback to a breed used in the earlier lines. That's why if I would have purchased an OEB from a breeder, I would definitely make sure that I could look at the dog's pedigree to see how far back the line goes and what foundation breeds were used.

I've been thinking about getting Butter's pedigree from the IOEBA just to see if I can identify her line and maybe look up her ancestors. :)

I should also say that even though she loves to destroy things, Butter is very smart! She can be stubborn but she loves us and likes to make us happy. She's also very playful and athletic. She's a sweet cuddle bug too. She loves to crawl her big butt onto my lap and fall asleep in my arms.

#9 ·
I'm a fairly new Olde English Bulldogge owner, my puppy is 14 weeks old, but the breeder I got him from is a good friend of mine so I'm lucky to have known quite a few Bulldogges :) One of the major things that drew me to them, as opposed to the English Bulldogge, is they are bred NOT to have all of those health problems. The goal was a a dog who can breath freely (which is why their muzzles are a little longer), not have skin issues (why they're not as wrinkly as English Bulldogs- though I was advised to wipe my smush face's wrinkles often because they still have them and can get yeast infections), be able to be active in hot and cold temps and not have hip issues.
Dudley has been an absolute joy. He's done great with house breaking and can already sit, lay, roll over and shake (with minimal distractions, of course). He's quite smart. He's never destroyed anything of ours, but his own toys don't last very long. He's also very gentle with my human kids too. He's a great little guy.
Dudley got to have a play date with his sister Maxine yesterday (she belongs to my dad, I puppy sit on days he and my brother both work) and I took a couple of pictures of them. And as I was looking at the pictures my first thought was "they look so different". Anyway, here are a couple of pictures so you can see how different

I messed with this one, that's why the color is all wonky, but it shows how different their faces are.

Another, while they're having a treat. Dudley is the red and white, Maxine is the brindle and white.

One more :-D when they were still pudgy little babies. Every pup in the litter (5) was marked differently. This picture shows Maxine (left), Dudley (middle) and Bandit (right). The other two pups were brindle and all white with a fawn mask. Their mother was brindle and father was red and white.
My pup has Hermes ancestors. From what I've read about OEBs, they should not ever be crossed with anything else and all true OEBs should come from Leavitte or Hermes lines, but I'm certainly no expert.
Wow,sorry that was so long. If you can't tell, I LOVE my Bulldogge!

Nikki
And P.S- Buttercup is ADORABLE!!!

#14 ·
Just thought I'd share my mom has a 9.5 year old Bulldog and he is very healthy. He's starting to lose his sight a bit but I think that's pretty typical at almost 10 years old. He's from top show lines and very selective breeding...he wasn't cheap but he has been healthy from day one. I wouldn't be surprised if he lives for several more years. My point is, some Bulldogs are healthy if you are careful about breeding and selection.

#17 ·
#18 ·
Hmm, well then sorry about that. I was googling "bulldog health" and that was one of the first things that popped up. So I apologize if the article was completely incorrect.

If I could ask though, without causing a stir, what about it was false? It seemed to line up with everything else I've read from owners and veterinarians. You can pm me if you don't want to take over this post.

#19 ·
Hi Duke. I've been researching the OEB also and came across One of a Kind Bulldogges website. They're in Ca. and seems to have nice OEB's and a very good reputation. Also I came across a breeder from Long Island, NY called Long Island Bulldogges. Hope this helps! Good luck! PS: I've had two English Bulldogs and absolutely love them!! If the OEB's have the same temperament I would definitely consider getting one. Would seek to meet some first though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.