Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to get my dog of kibble. i feed her raw meat but i feel she is never full. can anyone suggest a natural biscuit or a way i can keep her stomach satisfied please :wink:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
She's a dog. Most dogs will eat themselves to death if you let them. Otherwise we'd never see an obese dog!

Make sure she's getting some bone mixed in with the meat of course, and you can add veggies etc. but keep in mind some dogs always act hungry. I gave my guys a deer carcass once, figured they'd regulate..... my golden ate so much it was like she was going to give birth to 20 newfies! I was worried for her health at that point but she was very happy, not so much when I put her in the barn the next few days while the gas cleared out.

Lana

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am going to try the butchers this week for a big bone for her. i gave her a chicken quarter yesterday and she wouldnt touch it! she likes raw meat but not with the bones how can i encourage her to eat the meat with bones??

·
Registered
136 Posts
my new pup won't eat a leg quarter unless you cut it in half so the leg's separate from the thigh. You might try that first to see if it's really the bones or if she's picky about the size & I'm guessing it's because she's not been served full leg quarters before & just isn't sure what to do with them. She'll eat wings alright. If we separate the leg quarters, she eats it right up

Some folks have bones & all ground up but I prefer the dogs to work the bones with their teeth for the cleaning benefits. Our local grocery store carries cow's feet which seems to be just the bestest thing every (according to my dogs). The big dogs work them over & then the mini-mutts get what's left over which still leaves them a lot to work on.

I introduced my pup to green beans by putting them in her bowl with sardines on top. Her breeder recommends a can of sardines in olive oil or water once a week. So I put the beans in then dumped the sardienes on top so the beans had that lovely fish 'juice' all over them. Once she found out the beans were food, now she's just happy they're in the bowl. I do the same with carrots but I run the carrots through the juicer & give the dogs the stuff that doesnt' go into juice. The dogs LOVE it

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
It's really not necessary to "bulk up" your dogs meals. If you want to feed her extra veggies that's fine, though it's not required. Your dog will be perfectly satisfied and healthy if you feed her the appropriate amount of raw meat bones and organs, even if she still "acts" hungry. She IS a dog, afterall, lol! If she seems to be begging excessively or getting into the trash a lot, maybe it's less about her being hungry and more about needing to train her not to beg and putting food and garbage away where she can't get to it.

I just want to mention though that some breeds are prone to bloating, and filling their stomachs up with excess ruf***e to try to reduce "hungry" behaviors might increase that risk. It's actually much safer to feed a few smaller meals throughout the day as opposed to one big meal. Which might actually satisfy her hunger better because she wouldn't have to wait so long between each meal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. i have tried her on wings and she just plays with it! she loves raw meat i feed her chicken steak mince and pilchards twice a week and i mix veg in. she is vey healthy but i want to cut out the biscuits and kibble as its not natural. I am going to the butchers today to get her a nice bone so she can clean her teeth hopefully she will like that! she loves sardines has them twice a week so i am going to try the green bean thing i am sure she will love it. She is very healthy but i have to keep her slim as we do agility :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
she never begs or scrounges for food she is very good i just want to keep her diet as natural as possible but keep her healthy as we do agility and i have to keep her energy levels up but not starve her. i will try the organs next in with her raw meat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts