Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because of leg injuries one of my Danes has sat around alot. She has lost a lot of muscle and it all just keeps feeding itself. Injury so she stays off her back leg, doesn't get up much so theres no muscle, and since there is no muscle is makes it that much hard on the injury.
So lately I began walking her and its getting better. She gets up when I go out on the porch and walks around whenever she feels like it, instead of just laying there.
I wanted to know if anyone knew any better exercises maybe from working with K9 units or being dog trainers. I really need to build her back legs back up.

Mostly I just walk her and then run her a little bit.stretch her legs out everyday, and now she is strong enough that I pick up her front feet and rest them on my shoulders.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Walking uphill is good for that, also walking in water (up to his knees) and swimming. If he's not in pain, you can have him repeat the movements required to stand from sitting and stand from a lying down position.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Walking uphill is good for that, also walking in water (up to his knees) and swimming. If he's not in pain, you can have him repeat the movements required to stand from sitting and stand from a lying down position.
Thanks for the tips fouriscompany! I live in the Florida keys. There aren't any hills here, its all flat. But at the same time it works in favor of the second thing you said, Swimming.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I second the swimming suggestion. It takes the weight off of the joints.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Sassy is losing muscle mass in the rear. Old dog. Sick dog. It happens. She can sense any uphill and slows way down but we do baby hills anyway.

Walking through ground cover or brush so she has to pick up her feet seems to help. Most things she over compensates with the front end but she can't get through ground cover dragging her back end. I mean to get my ladder down but that might be too much for her to walk through at this point.

She used to do sit pretties but she isn't strong enough any more, That could be something to work up to.

I have been doing down>stand as well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sassy is losing muscle mass in the rear. Old dog. Sick dog. It happens. She can sense any uphill and slows way down but we do baby hills anyway.

Walking through ground cover or brush so she has to pick up her feet seems to help. Most things she over compensates with the front end but she can't get through ground cover dragging her back end. I mean to get my ladder down but that might be too much for her to walk through at this point.

She used to do sit pretties but she isn't strong enough any more, That could be something to work up to.

I have been doing down>stand as well.
Gabby has lost alot of mass but shes....3 now I think. So she doesnt have some of the concerns you guys may have. I have ran her through some brush before and it definitely seems like a good idea.
I don't think I could get her to go through a ladder...its too small. She would just go around it lol.
Thanks for the ideas and good luck with her!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts