Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

bugs in dogs water bowl

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  DaySleepers 
#1 ·
very strange...
they are very small. seem to be orange..
here is the best pick i can attach.
the bowl is stainless steal.

the white dot is not a bug..its the orange one.
Water Plant Tints and shades Tree Automotive lighting

See less See more
#2 ·
Look like some kind of mite, perhaps? Quite possibly something your dog picked up from plants indoors or out, and totally harmless, but it's difficult to tell by that picture. If you've noticed a lot of scratching and/or skin irritation lately, definitely try to save one in a plastic baggie or other container and run it by the vet, just in case.

#9 ·
They probably mean your local agricultural extension services office. They are run by your state's department of agriculture.

Reactions: 3GSD4IPO
#10 ·
What about predatory mites? They eat spider mites, and look similar but not exactly the same. This website sells them to gardeners and has a few different photos:

And yes, I think 3GSD means the county Cooperative Extension Service available in the US, which offer free advice about gardening, agriculture, pest control, etc. including species identification where possible - here's a link: County Extension Offices

Great resource, definitely worth contacting.

Either way, I suspect these are coming from houseplants or being picked up by your dog from plants outside, and aren't at all dangerous to you or your pet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.