Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5 month old Mix breed pup, its been a long search for food for him, finally figured out dry food he loves sceience diet and buff blue puppy kibbles...i like to mix canned food in for him i finally found a canned food he loves which of course is the $2 dollar a can buffalo blue food..My question is i dont see any canned puppy food...can i feed him the canned food as is mixed with the puppy kibbles???

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I think I'd just stick to the dry puppy food if I were you. Puppy food is specially balanced for growing puppies, and if you start mixing in adult food, you might upset the balance and give him too much or too little of certain nutrients. If you prefer wetter food, you could give him the kibble and pour some warm water or gravy on top.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think I'd just stick to the dry puppy food if I were you. Puppy food is specially balanced for growing puppies, and if you start mixing in adult food, you might upset the balance and give him too much or too little of certain nutrients. If you prefer wetter food, you could give him the kibble and pour some warm water or gravy on top.
I was about to order a bag of the BLUE Buffalo Wilderness dog food for my 3.5-month old puppy, but was also wondering if there was actually something special about "Puppy" mixtures...

So you're saying that I shouldn't give my puppy any non-puppy-formulated dog food? At what age does the dog stop being a "puppy" but an adult?

Thanks!!

P.S. Is Science Diet really that bad? I mean, it's one of the most popular dog foods available... yet it's rated so low on several websites devoted to dog food.

·
Registered
976 Posts
P.S. Is Science Diet really that bad? I mean, it's one of the most popular dog foods available... yet it's rated so low on several websites devoted to dog food.
If you look at the ingredients in Science Diet you will see why it's not a good quality food. It is popular because it is cheap, readily available and vets recommend it. Why do vets recommend it? Because Science Diet teaches thier nutritional classes and gives them lots of freebies.

Blue Buffalo is a very good food. I used it a long time with great success. It is one of the often times unmentioned quality foods available.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you look at the ingredients in Science Diet you will see why it's not a good quality food. It is popular because it is cheap, readily available and vets recommend it. Why do vets recommend it? Because Science Diet teaches thier nutritional classes and gives them lots of freebies.

Blue Buffalo is a very good food. I used it a long time with great success. It is one of the often times unmentioned quality foods available.
You know what else is crazy... if you do the math, it turns out that the Blue Buffalo is actually CHEAPER because you actually give less volume of food than you would with Science diet...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts