Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The puppy i am getting is already on buffalo blue and i know most of the time it is good to try to keep them on the same food. I was just wondering if anyone used it and what you think of it???

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
My dog is on Blue Wilderness currently. Working great for him. Nice, soft, shiny coat. Firm stools. No complaints. We will be rotating through other foods but I would definitely feed it again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good brand of food. I fed the large breed puppy formula for my pooch in our dogs rotation til he hit a year old. I have them on Blue Wilderness Salmon at the moment. Some peoples dogs tend to avoid the LifeSource vitamin bits but that hasn't been an issue for me. Several times I had to just change the dogs food as I haven't been exclusively in control of their feeding (no transition period) and both times I fed Blue with no problems.

·
Registered
192 Posts
We've fed it to our dog for the past few years, right now we're switching to the mature formula. She LOVES that food, in fact she might like it more than cookies, she certainly gets more excited over a new bag of food, lol!

Amazon.com has GREAT prices on it, and frequently free shipping... they're something to be said for having the UPS guy wrassle 40lb bags of dog food to your front porch. :D

·
Registered
509 Posts
Great Dog Food, unfortunately I had to change because it is to far to travel to purchase it & I don't like to have it shipped. I've changed to Paul Newmans Organic.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
It's a good food as everyone has already stated. But I thought I would mention that it isn't really good or bad to keep your dog one one food. Some say switching every bag helps prevent allergies. Personally I feed different things just because I can't imagine dogs love eating the same thing every day. Plus I like for her to eat different protein sources. Anyway, just thought I'd add that if you didn't want to continue on only one food, there is no health reason why you should do so, so long as you don't transition between them too quickly (which can cause temporary tummy problems, though my dog can switch cold turkey with no ill effects).

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I personaly wont touch it, Blue is one of the treat brands that was importing chicken from china. I'm sorry, but if a brand name put out and product that killed dogs, I'm not even going to look at it.

Also I fed it to my cats for a while, and whole stinky batman. My cats smelled BAD.

·
Registered
192 Posts
It's a good food as everyone has already stated. But I thought I would mention that it isn't really good or bad to keep your dog one one food. Some say switching every bag helps prevent allergies. Personally I feed different things just because I can't imagine dogs love eating the same thing every day. Plus I like for her to eat different protein sources. Anyway, just thought I'd add that if you didn't want to continue on only one food, there is no health reason why you should do so, so long as you don't transition between them too quickly (which can cause temporary tummy problems, though my dog can switch cold turkey with no ill effects).
You bring up a good point, some dogs are ok with having their food switched and other's are not. Our vet advised sticking to one brand and one formula because our dog has an increased risk of bloat. Some of the deeper chested breeds are at a higher risk for bloat than most other dogs.

don't ask me what "deep chested" is supposed to mean, I have no clue. I do know what bloat is, and it sounds lousy!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I usually try to mix the old and new foods for the first few bowls, as a sort of transition in case they turn their nose up at the new stuff.

Cheers - Amanda

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
I personaly wont touch it, Blue is one of the treat brands that was importing chicken from china. I'm sorry, but if a brand name put out and product that killed dogs, I'm not even going to look at it.

Also I fed it to my cats for a while, and whole stinky batman. My cats smelled BAD.
I fed Blue chicken to my dogs as treats for awhile; it was like a crack addiction. They loved it. I've never fed it exclusively, but the way the recalls of their company was handled didn't exactly enamour me to them. I used to figure "a recall is a rare thing though", and maybe it is...but if a company acts secretive when there IS a recall listed, what else are they not telling us? Dog food companies work FOR US, for CONSUMERS, not the other way around. And if I have questions, I want them answered...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I fed Blue chicken to my dogs as treats for awhile; it was like a crack addiction. They loved it. I've never fed it exclusively, but the way the recalls of their company was handled didn't exactly enamour me to them. I used to figure "a recall is a rare thing though", and maybe it is...but if a company acts secretive when there IS a recall listed, what else are they not telling us? Dog food companies work FOR US, for CONSUMERS, not the other way around. And if I have questions, I want them answered...
I thought Blue Buffalo manufactured all of their products in the US - in fact they even address the chicken jerky on their website: http://bluebuffalo.com/news/blue-chicken-jerky-dog-treats

I refuse to give my puppy any chicken treats made in China and the label on the Blue Buffalo chicken jerky clearly states it was made in the US. If anyone has any info saying this is false, please share! I will throw out my treats.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I just started feeding Blue Buffalo's new Basics Grainfree to my dogs due to sensitive stomach issues. I also feed different varieties of their canned food. So far, it's great. My cat is also eating the new Blue Buffalo Freedom Grainfree dry. I was under the impression their chicken jerky was made in the USA, so I would like some more info. on them being made in China. Can you cite some information on that?

·
Registered
38 Posts
This is a great food. From my research, the China chicken thing was unfounded, but I guess it still raises issues.

Nonetheless, so far our puppy is very healthy and happy on BB. Just switched from BB puppy to the grain-free Wilderness Salmon. He LOVED it immediately, so much that even though I did a 25%/75% mix with his puppy food, he managed to pick out all the Salmon bits and left the puppy food behind, so the whole 'slow transition' to new food was an offer he apparently is declining ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts