Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A lot of food talk goes towards online shopping, store specific shopping or higher end diets.
I thought it might be helpful to talk about budget foods that are still a cut above the average grocery store buy. What I mean by that is something that doesn't cost more than a grocery store food but lacks the added sugr, hfcs, coloring, vit. K, etc.

I know that things like corn and wheat are controversial but they are generally accepted as safe and contribute to nutrition so I don't want to start a debate along those lines, ya know?

I will start this off with suggestions of Sportmix Wholesome which are available from Tractor supply Co. For around $28 to 30 for 40 lb bags. Moderate protein and fat, maybe not enough for a high energy dog but within range for most pet dogs.

From the same manufacturer, the Pro Pac line runs about $1 per lb for the ultimates line. I have tried a few of the adult and puppy formulas and while my dogs aren't particularly sensitive to food, they dl well on them. No corn, no wheat, no soy, no by products, no artificial color. I would actually like to try the Performance blend which is a 30/20 protein/fat food and does have corn which i am fine with but my local store doesn't have it. The calories for the money though are very solid.

Oh, and while I am sure the definition of budget will vary a lot, my personal rough classification is that under US$1 per pound is budget since that will usually feed a large breed dog for well under a $1 per day. For reference, $1 to 2 per lb is moderate, and over $2 per lb is high end for dry food in my totally arbititrary scale.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I'll add Pure Balance from Walmart to this list. The first ingredient is always meat, and they offer grain-free varieties. It comes in Chicken, Lamb, Turkey, Bison, and Salmon, some of the varieties are 'higher quality' and cost a bit more per pound (bison for example). A 30lb bag costs around $30. Again, moderate protein and fat - I have fairly active dogs and they did okay on this while I fed it. For a dog food from Walmart, it's quite good comparatively, and economical.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Costco Nature's Domain is probably the lowest priced grain free food. I know some people object to Diamond Brand products but Duke did very very well on this food (he only did decently on Canidae, before the manufacturing switch and this which he did even better on). It is right around the $1 per lb mark, maybe a little less. You do have to be a Costco member to buy it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Fromm Classic is about $1/pound. I haven't tried that particular one yet but might give it a shot in the future (using Fromm 4 star and Gold right now).

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Muenster Naturals runs the same price for me as Fromm Classics type foods but I think it is more expensive to order it online (at least if you order it from the website). I do really like the food and the company, great customer service. Protein is 28-31% depending on formula (the grain free is a little more expensive so I didn't include it). I've used both the Large Breed and the Chicken and Pork.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Fromm gold is about 1.40 per pound and I use chewy.com to order it. Ends up cheaper than the pet food warehouse locally. I also think Precise Foundation and the big 36 pound bag of Petguard Lifespan and reasonably priced around 1.50 per pound. The nice thing about these foods is that even though they have grain in them, my very sensitive bichon does great on them. Never any yeasty skin or itching, after years of that misery on the expensive grain free stuff. All my other dogs do great on these foods too. They are pretty similar but it's nice having some to rotate around with.
Never tried Fromm classic which is even more affordable but I have it on my list to try sometime.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I haven't priced Purina Beyond dog food but gah! the cat food is expensive. It's a pretty good food though. Regular Purina ONE isn't too bad---no coloring, added sugar, etc. But it's not under $1 a pound either.

Some people don't like Diamond products, but I've never had any trouble with the Diamond Naturals line. That's usually right around $1 a pound. And Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul (ugh I wish they'd change the name) is decent too.

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
Dr. Tim's, especially if you have large dogs and/or multiple dogs. A few of his formulas come in large sizes (40 & 44/45 lbs)

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Purina Beyond is usually around $2/lb

I'm not sure the price but we have a food called Evolve at our grocery stores that looks ok and is cheaper than Beyond.

TOTW is around $1.5/lb here

ProPlan is my cheap go to food. It's around $1/lb off chewy. http://www.chewy.com/dog/purina-pro-plan-savor-adult-shredded/dp/52448

Diamond Naturals is around $1/lb and chicken soup is a bit over $1/lb.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have used Authority (Petsmart's in house brand) before and though I upgraded eventually, my dog did fairly well on it.
It has no sugar/dye/etc, is quite cheap and it's easy to track down in store coupons for it at pretty much any point.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use Whole Earth Farms, its made by Merrick and on chewy I pay just over $1.00 a lb for it. My very energetic lab mix does great on it.

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm trying a bag of the Pro Pac adult chunk.

So far, so good. I had fed their Ultimates line before, but this is their low price line. $30 for 44 lbs. 26% protein though with chicken meal the first ingredient. At about 70 cents per pound, that's roughly half the cost of Purina Beyond or such. Digesting fine, smells meaty, no fake color look.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Victor dog food seems good quality for it's price. has four grain free formula and rest are grain formulas.

comes in 5lb 20lb and 40lbs and biggest grain free is 5lb 15lb and 30lb bag.

I plan to try victor once Bella's food is low enough to transition I've tried a free sample from the store and Bella liked the taste of it.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Taste of the Wild and Chicken Soup for the Soul are both good brands that are less than $1.50 per pound on chewy.com.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts