Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, as you buys know I rescued buddy from Texas cattle dog rescue. He is a great dog & we are building a wonderful relationship, he has been with is since march 31 & even in this short time I already can't remember what it was like without him :) just thinking or talking about him makes my heart swell with joy :). He really has bonded with me as well & has become my shadow :). I hope I am as important to him as he is to me, I feel like I am :)

Anyway, we still have one obstacle, when I try to teach him a trick, even with food (anything beyond sit & down... I was trying to get him to play dead lol) he seems to get intimidated & goes & hides when I ask too much of him, I think it's an appeasement gesture, I just want to know why & what I'm doing wrong to make him feel that way :(. The last thing I want to do is make him uncomfortable. I'm not overbearing when I'm working with him, I avoid looking him dead straight in the eye & I always talk quietly to him, so what is it? Does he not trust me? I don't think it's that because when a sudden thunderstorm moves in (in tx the weather can change suddenly during this time of yr thanks to heat storms) instead of running & hiding he runs straight to me for cuddles, then I put him in thr barn office wher he can hide under the desk.

So, any insight, guys? Thanks for your time :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Aww!! Well, my first dog I had to rehabilitate from square one. He was afraid of toys, his own food, men, movements, brooms, etc. ><

Even if he didn't do what I wanted, I praised him for just being there, for smelling the item, for laying near the item, etc. For example: food. I had to get him to eat. He'd smell it, I'd praise him. He'd lick it, I'd praise him. He'd take it, I'd praise him, he'd eat it, I praised him. It was a loooooong process!!

Perhaps you could do something similar of him. Can he sit? Praise him. Can he lay down? Praise him. Can you roll him onto his side? Praise him, make it a game!! I wouldn't let him hide beneath the desk, I believe that it is teaching it's "okay" to run and hide, when really there is nothing to be scared of :)

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I honk that the 'dead' trick was to much for him, he loves to give his pawns& does so reflexively so I might get working with him on high fiving or something.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Kabota was like that. He'd just freeze. I think he was trained very harshly by his former owners, so he saw training as scary. At almost 7 months with us, he now bugs me to train him!

I just kept training sessions very short, lots of treats and I begin and end on something I know he can do. I also switched from verbal commands to hand gestures (we're adding the verbals back in.) I think he associated "sit" with getting punished for not sitting, so when I said "sit", he would just freeze and wait for the inevitable.

A month isn't that long, really. He should start coming out of his shell soon.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It took me a good few months to get my one dog to learn he wasn't going to be beaten silly if he didn't listen. Some dogs take longer than others do :)

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
dogdragoness :) Have you tried getting down to his ( the ground ) level during the teaching of some of the tricks?

I had not mentioned it before ... I don't believe ... but Eddee used to cower and pee every time I approached him at a fast pace. I believe he has an issue with everything towering over him. This is why he sits atop so many things ... to be above his fears.

I have earned his trust by walking up to him more slowly and getting down to his level ( he is so small ) ... I lean over near the floor as I approach him. He is almost over his fear. Once in a great while I forget myself and approach too quickly ..... but he is almost 100% now.

What if you spent some time sitting on the floor with Buddy while training tricks?

There is just so much "not knowing" about our rescues backgrounds ... sometimes we just need to experiment a bit. :) I sure hope you find the nitch ... I can tell Buddy is your world. :)

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
My dog does this too, I thought I was the only one! Sitting down helps, as does letting her stand outside for a minute first and doing some training out there. Mostly she hides because occasionally when I ask her to come indoors it's because something like nail trimming or flea med application is happening, but outdoors that never happens and then when we come back in she's in the mood.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dogdragoness :) Have you tried getting down to his ( the ground ) level during the teaching of some of the tricks?

I had not mentioned it before ... I don't believe ... but Eddee used to cower and pee every time I approached him at a fast pace. I believe he has an issue with everything towering over him. This is why he sits atop so many things ... to be above his fears.

I have earned his trust by walking up to him more slowly and getting down to his level ( he is so small ) ... I lean over near the floor as I approach him. He is almost over his fear. Once in a great while I forget myself and approach too quickly ..... but he is almost 100% now.

What if you spent some time sitting on the floor with Buddy while training tricks?

There is just so much "not knowing" about our rescues backgrounds ... sometimes we just need to experiment a bit. :) I sure hope you find the nitch ... I can tell Buddy is your world. :)
I think he had some bad treatment I think by men bc he is kinda afraid of some men & definately like women better, we really have bonded in these few short months. I also think I was asking for too much but I don't think I jeapordize our relationship bc I backed off as soon as I noticed I was making him uncomfortable :(. He knows sit & loves to please, I've alsobloves to place his paw on me when he wants attention (it's very cute :) ) so I think I'm going to teach him high five, I was working with him today & he seemed to enjoy it, we'll see where it takes us in this journey :).

We also recently moved (we live in a mobile home so it just moves with us, truthfully I don't think he cares where he is as long as he's with me... Or it seems that way :).)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts