Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Do you prefer collars that clip or buckle?
Some of the plastic clip together mechanisms are not that sturdy. I had one break woth one of my dogs in the past As far as comfort for the dog, I don’t think there’s really a difference.
How about leashes? Some have a button to open the clip to attach and some don’t.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Their "wear 24/7/365" collars that their tags are on are fancy leather buckle collars.

2018-2-17 Dogs DSC_0057 by Rosemary Elwell, on Flickr

2018-2-17 Dogs DSC_0041 by Rosemary Elwell, on Flickr

I use nylon martingale collars for leash attachment. I've just gone to one with a snap buckle for my GSD, and have only used it a few times, but so far, so good. I've had a really cheap plastic snap buckle fail in the past, so I've been kind of leery of using one, but she really hates having the slipped over her head.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I personally have no preference, I just typically get whatever I like as far as looks go. Right now my girl has a cheaper buckle collar, mainly just cause she's a young pup and will grow out of it. I'm planning on getting a leather buckle collar for her main collar when she's full grown.

As for leash, just a regular clasp leash is fine for me.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I use collars with the plastic clips. I want to be able to get the collar off quickly in case it becomes hooked on something like a bush or another dog's teeth while playing (which has happened). I haven't had one fail, but I check them regularly to look for cracks. I tend to buy cheap collars ($25 or less), so it's not too painful to replace them if they look like they're getting ready to fail.

·
Super Moderator
2,434 Posts
Sam's everyday 'collar' is actually just a tag holder, and slips over his head. When we used to use a collar for walking him, we had a metal quick-release buckle collar that held up quite nicely, and I preferred the easy hookup since he was often 'naked' in the house. He's unfortunately prone to hotspots on his neck, which is why I made his tag holder to be thin and rounded so there's not too much blocking airflow to his skin. But if he wasn't I'd be sorely tempted to get some of the fancier leather collars with traditional buckles. There's some really gorgeous ones out there, and it wouldn't be a big pain if I wasn't taking it on and off multiple times a day.

Traditional buckles are going to be harder to get off in a hurry if they get stuck on something, though. So if you've got dogs that play bitey games around each other's necks, or do a lot of off-leash running in brush, that's a consideration too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Plastic clips were a concern when I was making collars. I like the easy on and off of the clip but so many of them are shoddy Chinese import garbage that I wouldn't use them. I've used metal quick release clips but I have noticed that repeated use the sides tend to loosen up which could cause the clip to fail as well. I have found some good quality plastic clips at a tactical supply retailer that are actually used as the closure for police duty belts. That's a lot of weight to hold every day with lots of wear on them. They only come in a 1" or 2", though the 2" has a "lockable" version as well. I've only gotten one of these to break. To do that the buckle had to be open with the receiver laying flat on the floor with my stepping on it with my whole weight. The failure was the side of the receiver cracking.

I haven't used them yet but I know a lot of people use and recommend the Cobra clip. It definitely looks heavy duty enough that it won't fail under extreme use.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Neither.. though I do have some super nice leather buckle collars with brass hardware and brass ID plates for when I travel.

My dogs do not wear collars unless I am walking them somewhere or training. Collars for walking and training are Fursaver with the leash Dead Ringed (they are a long link choke collar but you never hook the leash to the "live" ring to choke the dog) or a pinch collar (and that works on limited slip like a martingale).

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I use collars with the plastic clips. I want to be able to get the collar off quickly in case it becomes hooked on something like a bush or another dog's teeth while playing (which has happened). I haven't had one fail, but I check them regularly to look for cracks.
I use the plastic clip collars too and have never had one break. Just make sure to buy quality brand collars - I don't ever buy cheap generic ones.

The reason I buy this type:
1. Safety - I want to be able to get the collars off in a hurry if it hooks on something. Kane's hooked on his crate once while he was in there sleeping with the door open. I was in the same room and noticed instantly. My dogs also go to daycare regularly and I've heard horror stories of dogs getting hooked together while playing.
2. Convenience - my dogs don't wear collars at home, but do as soon as we leave the house, so we're always putting collars on and taking them off. The quick-release clips are just so much more convenient.

I do have one with this type of clip: https://www.german-shepherd-dog-breed-store.com/prong-chain-dog-collars-c-1/daily-walking-herm-sprenger-stainless-steel-dog-collar-19-inch-48-cm-p-612.html Mine must be an older version though because it doesn't have any kind of lock on it so it can open just by being bumped in the right spot, which did happen once. It's more of a back-up/spare collar.

I bought a really nice martingale collar in February, but have never used it since my dogs have big heads and I would have to adjust the size to put it on and take it off. No thanks.

As for leashes I just use the standard clip type. I tried something like this once: http://besdadg.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008847705822/pdtl/Metal-alloy/1084366922/Dog-Leash-Clip.htm The first time I used it Pepper shook when we stepped out of the house and the leash just fell off. I returned it the next day and never bought that kind again.

·
Registered
17,925 Posts
Single bar buckle, double bar buckle, plastic clip, metal clip, slip, fabric martingale, chain martingale, tag -

Look, options are important.

·
Super Moderator
2,434 Posts
Also, I prefer leashes you have to push the clasp inward to attach. Easy to get on a ring, difficult to accidentally open. Spring gate hooks, I guess they're called.

·
Registered
11,440 Posts
I use the common plastic clip collars for tags, worn generally only outside. Quick to undo safely if the dog is caught on something and quick to put on the dog. I have had one break when I was a stupid new dog owner and attached a line from collar to porch and dog leaped at a cat, snapping the plastic buckle. I am quite happy that buckle broke actually because it taught me two things-- one is that a fixed tie out to a collar is very risky (there are ways to tie-out to a collar, but a plain fixed line to a normal collar is not one of them) and that it takes a lot of force to break a decent quality plastic buckle on a 1 inch collar.

Standard clip (aka bolt snap) on leash. If you're concerned about a leash clip opening, then look for a locking carabiner style or a bull snap clip (more often seen in horse leads). I've never had a bolt snap in good condition break or come undone-- I have had one that was a little wobbly get pushed enough for the ring to pop out.

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
I favor rolled leather buckle collars. There was a point in my life when I had a wider taste, but I keep on coming back to this one type. I have pretty much one collar per dog, but more harnesses (H-style surefit, X-back, weight pull, backpack). My older dog walks with his collar. My younger dog is in a harness more often than his collar. Both dogs' collars are loose enough that I can easily slip them over their heads. I am not recommending that. I just have a very high level of confidence that my dogs won't run off or slip out.

Leashes, I use 6' biothane with snap bolt. I sometimes use a flexi back-clipped to a harness or backpack.

My priority for any tool is ease of use, weight, and cleaning. I don't have a washer/dryer setup at home so a lot of my dog stuff is leather, silicone, or biothane. I also hike a lot so I try to avoid tools that pick up dirt easily, snag easily, or are too bulky. On the flipside, my dogs mind me well and are well trained so I don't worry as much about other factors like durability, preventing dogs from slipping out, etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don’t really have a preference I’ve only ever had flat collars with clips and they’ve always worked for me. It depends on what they’re made of and if your just buying a cheap one. Look at the differences in what they are made of and read a lot of reviews to see if people had any problems with them breaking.

·
Registered
935 Posts
It really depends on the dog and the owner.

Seen some plastic clip collars hold some major puller.

Though I would advise inspecting plastic often and as cracking or wear and they could break or slip.

Personally use a 2 tooth buckle, that is all due to the fact that I don't trust other owners or there dogs when me and Mouse are out walking.
Could most likely lift the front of your average car with Mouse's collar, but then again I've had him break a 250lb rated metal clip on his leash when he was young.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I like this thread. I've always used flat, nylon collars with a metal buckle. They were strong and I found it easy to add a resize hole by melting the nylon belt with a hot awl (or ice pick). While neither of my dogs attempted to escape, I kept the collars on my dogs 24/7, except when I'd bathe them.

This next time, I will probably go with a plastic snap-in clip collar. I like that these collars can easily be adjusted to the exact size needed and that they'd be easy to get off a dog in distress.

For walks, I'll probably get a martingale collar. This type of collar is required by a trainer that I am considering. At first, I was shocked because I thought it was just another form of "choke" chain. But I've since read that it does not allow a dog to choke. But instead, when sized correctly, it humanely prevents a dog's head from slipping out of the collar. I'd love to hear how others feel about the martingale collar, especially from the positive training standpoint.

I also like the idea of a rolled leather collar because it seems like it would be the most comfortable style for AFTER a dog is taught to walk calmly on leash. But one step at a time. :)

Also, any comments on LupinePet brand? Or Blueberry brand? Both offer really cute choices, are modestly priced and have decent reviews (except for LupinePet's orange collar. Apparently its dye transfers to the dogs' fur!). Other flat, clip-style collar companies you prefer?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
My GSD wore a Lupine collar for several years. It held up nicely. the only reason she quit wearing it was that I got her a custom made collar. The fancy leather one she is wearing now was a gift from a friend.

·
Registered
17,925 Posts
I have a bunch of fancy leather collars, and fancy martingales and fancy fabrics (with webbing core) collars. I also have a lupin collar and two lupin harnesses. I like them a lot. They hold up amazingly well and there's a lifetime guarantee. For a basic collar you can't do better. (Though all nylon including them will break coat if the collar's worn all the time).

I love my martingales. Especially on the BC. Her head/neck size aren't very different, so martingales mean I can get a collar she can't back out of that doesn't choke her.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Pretty much always used good quality leather with metal buckle and riveted ID plates. Depending on where and what we're doing the dogs wear the leather with tags at all times, but the leash will be hooked to a lightweight slightly too big choke chain ( leash clipped through both rings so chain wont tighten ) or prong worn at the same time as the leather. I dont like hooking a leash to a plain collar. Never liked the plastic clips. Tried them in the past and ended up just going back to metal buckle on leather. Long lasting and durable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts