Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I am new here and waiting to hear about my application on an adult rescue dog. The dog I applied for is a papillon. He is very beautiful. Anyway I am trying to prepare my home and I do not have a dog brush.
Can anyone tell me what kind of brush/brushes I will need for him? Also how often will he need to be brushed, bathed and the such? A crash course lesson would be great. Also if you could post links to the type of brush would be great too

Thanks!!

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
You will need a pin brush and a fine tooth comb. I also use shears and thinning shears on my dogs.

A lot depends on the coat. some paps have rally easy, short coats. Summer's coat I could never brush or trim and she'd look fine. Mia's is so fine it mats up, but Beau and Rose need a lot of work to keep them from getting tangled. they have the overly coated, neutered dog look.

Here is the best basic grooming I know: http://www.braylorspapillons.com/groom.htm

It's geared towards show dogs but I groom my pet dogs pretty much the same way.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've got a pin brush and a comb for my pap. If I go near her with a slicker brush she freaks out.

She gets a bath every couple of weeks. She doesn't really get smelly or anything.

He is a very good looking dog.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I just only use a pin brush. Don't even bother with a fine toothed comb even though I have one. They're SO easy to keep looking good you'd be surprised.

I think I literally brush Nia less than once a week these days and she looks perfectly fine and tangle free.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Once a week is a lot more often than I brush my guys.

·
Registered
257 Posts
005.jpg 006.jpg

This is my Dexter. He is only 5 months old, so he still has his puppy coat. We bathe him about 1 every 2 to 4 weeks and we brush him about the same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts