Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edit: Recent pics of Bruno (11/24) added! :)

Hi there! I have two wonderful mutts, and I'm curious what breeds you all see in them. I know it's really a shot in the dark, even with genetic testing, but I love hearing others' opinions!

Ladies first:
Reina is a 4yo "Beagle Pointer Mix." She is very much a scent hound, but also incredibly smart, athletic, and cuddly. She's about 16" and 35lbs.

And Bruno, a 5 1/2 month old "Lab Boxer Mix." He's the most laid-back puppy I've ever met. He's a little over 30lbs and growing fast - vet estimated him to fill out to 50 - 60lbs - and he has webbed paws.

^Extra points if you have any idea what the far left dog (my neighbor's) is, too. Rescue said he was a "Catahoula Leopard Dog x Cattle Dog" and was only supposed to be 40lbs. He's now mid-90's.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Your girl just looks like a beagle to me. Your boy is really just looks like a generic brown dog mutt. Combine enough random dogs and the out come is usually a 40-50 lbs brown dog with a short coat and frequently prick ears. Both are adorable.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input! My go-to answer for "what kind of dog is he?" is usually "brown," so I'm glad to hear it's not even too far off anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would say you are pretty spot on with both of your dogs. We currently have a boxer/lab mix who is a long-haired, double-coated version of your Bruno. Pearl is 20 months and holding near 85#. We think she has a little shepherd in the mix due to her long, coarse black saddle markings and her OCD tendencies. Have you considered some corgi in Reina? Beagles & pointers tend to narrow at the waist. Corgis are barrel shaped throughout. As for your neighbors' rescue, I can see an intelligent herding breed in him. Possibly something like a Pyrenees contributed to his size. The coat is super thick and he appears to be of great height/size. Maybe this will give you something new for consideration. Thank you for choosing rescue.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
First one I'd say beagle/brittany spaniel, second one I could believe boxer/lab.
Your neighbor's dog looks like an anatolian shepherd or pyranees/lab mix possibly. No catahoula or cattle dog in there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for the feedback!

Bruno has gained 10lbs in the last month, bringing him up to 40lbs. I'm not so sure about the rescue's guess of 40-50 now, especially hearing that your Boxer/Lab is up near 85! We'll just have to see what happens. Honestly, I don't mind a big dog, especially because he has the sweetest/quietest disposition.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi all! Going to add two more recent pics of Bruno to see if that changes any speculation. He's 8 months now, almost 50lbs, and 22" tall. I'm still going with "brown dog."

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I still go with Dagwall's guesses. If you look at any area that has tons of stray dogs, you'll notice a lot of medium sized dogs with sandy to brown coats, usually prick ears and often a black mask and some white markings. It's just what happens if you allow dogs to breed willy nilly.

I agree with the just a beagle theory on the other one, too. Yes, properly bred beagles have much squarer faces and longer ears, but you do see those pointer noses and shorter ears in poorly bred beagles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Amaryllis!

I never really thought of that but it's a good point. She doesn't have to have perfect beagle conformation to be pure beagle. For Bruno, I'd totally agree he's a purebred mutt. I know rescues try to make them sound fancier than they are ("no, that's not a long-haired chihuahua - it's a papillon"), but I'm not sure why they don't just put 'mixed breed' on the paperwork when they have no clue. Just another mystery of rescues.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts