Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my dog broke a 4th premolar and first molar on the same side. has anybody had these teeth extracted. would my dog miss the teeth. would he chew bones or eat food (raw) on the extract side. i have the option to do a root canal but they costs a lot of money. Im curious to see how the extraction site looks all healed up to those who had the dogs teeth extracted. pics would be cool to see. any help would be great.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I had a dog smash a carnassial on something, still not sure what it was. Had it extracted, no she does not miss the tooth and can chew stuff just fine without it. Cost about $500.

Broken smashed tooth

2 years later.

Her sister Sasha also has two broken carnassials and an incisor, but they are not as badly broken as Juneau's and do not need to be extracted yet.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The 4th upper premolar (Carnassial) is the most frequently fractured tooth in the dog and your dilemma is a common one. We always encourage root canals, and in a good year I may see 1-2 people have them done. We end up extracting dozens of these teeth each year, and I have yet to see a dog have any problems afterwards.

Losech, If Sasha has broken her crowns but they are "uncomplicated" fractures (i.e. did not enter the pulp chamber), you might see if your vet (or any vet in your area) performs bonded sealants. This is a very easy, inexpensive way to smooth off the rough edges (to minimize the chances of further fracturing) and to seal the tooth to hopefully prevent infection and the need for extraction. Some of these cases can keep their teeth indefinitely. This is becoming an increasingly common procedure and it is much easier, much cheaper, and much better for the dog than is an extraction. If any of the fractures are "complicated" (exposed pulp) the tooth should be extracted immediately.

There is a good article on bonded sealants with photos here: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCQQFjAA&url=http://www.dentalaireproducts.com/downloads/Bonded_Sealants.pdf&ei=7zT1UqbsHcenrQG5i4GABw&usg=AFQjCNEvDAJB2N4g9vAsDrkAFgotT5aLNw&bvm=bv.60799247,d.aWc

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys. Losech does your dog still chew on the same side of he r mouth now that she had it extracted. Her teeth look much cleaner now. Wonder why.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I was preforming a dental just yesterday and the dog ended up having to have 20 teeth pulled. I called today to check up on her and she was chewing on Nylabones, and eating her kibble just fine. Most dogs adapt very well.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Thanks for the replys. Losech does your dog still chew on the same side of he r mouth now that she had it extracted. Her teeth look much cleaner now. Wonder why.
Yeah she still chews on that side. Her teeth are cleaner now 'cause I started feeding her boney raw items like turkey necks and backs and chicken legs when I took over feeding my Mom's (now my) dogs. And before anyone points any fingers, no, it was not raw bones that did it. I know so 'cause she hadn't had any for a while when the tooth was broken.
Also, her teeth had been cleaned when the busted tooth was extracted, and there was a flash in the after photo, makes the teeth look whiter than they actually are.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Dogs can do just fine as far as chewing goes. Of course right after the procedure may avoid that side for awhile. Your comment about the teeth being cleaner is because if there are damaged teeth more tartar will be on the side of the mouth with the damage. One of the first things I look for when starting a dental.. Most people elect extractions when the owners find out how much root canals cost I do tell the clients to soften food for 3 days and no hard bones or toys for 30 days. Usually there are stitches and you do not want the dog tearing open the sight.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks to all who replyed. does anybody else have any input or pics. I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Losech Yeah she still chews on that side. Her teeth are cleaner now 'cause I started feeding her boney raw items like turkey necks and backs and chicken legs when I took over feeding my Mom's (now my) dogs.

Thanks for the input I really apperciate it. I just have a few more questions. does she use the teeth behind her missing tooth? Has that molar behind the missing tooth drifted? Does she use her M1 or is it like dead space? Thanks agian for taking the time to answere me.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Snowball's had two teeth extracted, one incisor (so tiny he doesn't miss it) and one molar, both on the upper right side. The incisor was caused by a fall down the stairs in the first week we had him. We're not sure how the molar happened, or how long he'd had it; the vet found it during a dental cleaning and the pulp was exposed so it had to be removed. Our vet instructed us to soak his kibble to soften it and no chewing on bones/anything hard for one week after the extraction to allow the extraction site to heal with minimal irritation. Both extractions affected Snowball's chewing/eating for several weeks afterwards until the extraction site was completely healed. He was on soft food longer for the second extraction because it was a bit red at the check-up. He is just fine now and chews on both sides of his mouth no problem.

Dogs are amazingly adaptable creatures.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the reply ginger kid. which molar was extracted. could ypu take a picture of the extraction site. thanks for replying. does anybody else have any input.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
thanks for the reply ginger kid. which molar was extracted. could ypu take a picture of the extraction site. thanks for replying. does anybody else have any input.
I will try to remember to take a picture of it tonight.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
I wasn't able to get a picture last night. Its really difficult to hold the dogs face and the camera at the same time, and then the battery died. It looks just like Losech's dog at the post-2 years, except Snowball has pink gums instead of mottled ones (but that's just his colouring and nothing to do with the removed tooth).

Pictures can't really tell you if the dog is uncomfortable or not. Not getting something done is just setting up the tooth to break more, especially if he is still chewing on bones and such, and cause even more discomfort that would be prevented by either an extraction or a root canal.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Thanks ginger kid. Is it the same tooth? any opinion extraction of those 2 teeth or root canal
Same tooth, but on the opposite side. Like the Vet said, a root canal would allow your dog to retain use of the teeth, but they are quite expensive. Your dog will do just fine if you have the tooth extracted. If money was not a factor, I personally would probably do the root canals. But money is almost always a factor for most people, and unfortunately, only you can decide if you can afford to do the root canal, and if that cost is worth your dog keeping his teeth.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts