Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday morning my 4 1/2 month old wheaten Darby and I went for a walk. At one point she cut in front of me, ending with me stepping on her foot. She yelped, hobbled around for a second, then resumed the walk. I didn't think anything of it until this am - she couldn't even put weight on it.

To make a long story short, she has a broken toe on her right back leg. She is currently laying next to me, recovering from sedation.

My question - she has to participate in as little activity as necessary. I'm sure other owners have gone through similar situations (at least I hope!) and I was hoping for advice on how to keep a young pup from over using her hurt paw.

I feel awful about the whole situation and want her to recover asap, mostly because its my fault she has to go through this

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Broken toes can be a pain to deal with. If Darby is being very energetic I would suggest a cone. Most people only think to use a cone to prevent a dog from biting or licking a wound, but I have found that it makes my dog a little sad and mopey and therefore more quiet than normal. Sure it's hard to see them sad but it's be better than re-injuring her toe.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts