Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've given Maddie broccoli stems on occasion with her dinner and never had a problem. Last night, she got a 2-3 broccoli stems, nothing more than unusual and a handful of blackberries as a treat in her dinner.

It's 5:40 AM and I just woke up to her puking, poor girl. Rarely happens.

I thought maybe it was the blackberries-looked that up, blackberries are ok. Looked up broccoli and got different reviews.

Maybe she ate too much? She had a normal breakfast, treats throughout the day (training to come inside, behaving on walk, to get over a fear) and a dog-cookie, which she's had one for the past few days. Some of the treats were spur of the moment, to get over a fear and get her back to being able to be in my room (something fell on her.) Usually, we give her two bowls of food in a day with training treats throughout the day and occassionally special (and healthy) treats in her dinner, usually broccoli stems, and often a dog-friendly cookie or something and good exercise. Very healthy, normal weight.

My only thought it broccoli because while some websites say it's ok, others say it's toxic. But she hasnt had a problem before.... Maybe she got into something outside? I can't imagine what. I caught her eating bark, and she'll eat grass if she thinks no one's watching (trust me, she looks out for us and when the coast is supposedly clear, she'll nibble away) but that's about it. There's been nothing of known poison or toxicity in the house or outside she could have gotten into.

If there's people who can help put this to rest, that would be good. Thanks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
:eek: I've been feeding my dogs raw broccoli & brussel sprouts without a thought as to whether they can be harmful. I never really looked it up either. I was just getting ready to cook them at some time and they wanted some so I gave it to them.

Waiting on this thread.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
A few bites of broccoli shouldn't hurt. However, a lot of it could cause gastro-intestinal issues (I know it does in me), so I wouldn't give it. Dogs don't digest vegetables well at all. And different dogs react differently to various foods. And sometimes my dogs toss their cookies for no apparent reason.

Sorry, it's not a very good answer, but for me, if there's any question, especially with something they don't need and can't digest, I just don't do it.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Dogs do not need fruits or vegetables but most, including broccoli (for most dogs) are fine in moderation. I've heard that broccoli gives some dogs gas but the two in our housefold love it and have problems eating it.

Perhaps your dog just got too much that night. Keep any broccoli treats to just a small amount. If you want to give a veggie treat, try raw carrots instead.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
To me seems like the fear and the scare could have upset the tummy as much as all the extra food she got. I am all for lots of cookies to help behavior and training to keep dogs happy but maybe it was just too much yesterday. Measure out the amount daily. Use some dinner kibble if you need more. Back down today to just her kibbles.

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hmmm, ok. I'll just keep monitoring her to see if she tosses more chunks up. I've been told that getting rid of "extra" foods in the house like broccoli stems since no one eats them anyway is a good thing, so when I cook broccoli I cook the stems, usually there's 2-3 pieces of it, and it goes in her food dish. First time there's been a problem. My only other thought was the blackberries, too many treats (but she's eaten that amount maybe a handful of times before and nothing has happened) or just for no apparent reason...I didnt really look at the puke to decipher what it was (who does at 5:30 and it smells?)

This morning, I was woken up to her straight at my face, sniffing me. Went to the potty (I think....) and ate her breakfast right away. So far, normal.

Thanks to responses so far.

To me seems like the fear and the scare could have upset the tummy as much as all the extra food she got.
Dont think she was too scared. She's been freaked out by things before, hadnt puked. The puking was hours later. Once, we tied her leash up to a patio table frame outside while I was there cleaning up the glass from the patio table...thought it would hold her. She was spooked by something and began running like a madwoman with a table hitting her the whole way. We tried a tire, same thing. She was pretty spooked to go outside and when she saw either thing, she did not want anything to do with it, so we hid them. Besides last night, that was probably the most scary thing she's had. Other things she's been scared at had been more minor, like my singing coffee mug (who wouldnt be scared at that???) or dancing/singing macarena turtle (again, who wouldnt be scared) or blender....

This time, I had the little door on my desk that belongs to the compartment where my computer sits break off the hinges (cheap desk...) and I had it leaning against the desk and she must have hit it and it fell on her.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts