Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my first dog, a Brittany, in September 2011 and she has been great the whole time I've had her. However, in the last few weeks, shes been displaying some troubling behavior. All of the sudden, its like she cant get enough water; licking wet sidewalks, drinking out of puddles, i think she'd drink a five gallon bucket of water if i let her. The downside to this though is that its like shes not even house broken anymore. she is constantly urinating. In her crate. In the house. An hour after she was last outside. Most recently, she has urinated on the couch, twice, while just standing on it. I took her to the vet last week and they didn't find anything in her blood work and her urine samples were too diluted. The sterile sample that was sent to the lab to grow bacteria showed nothing.

Has this happened to anyone else's dog, or does anyone know anything about it???

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I would take him back to the vet. It sounds like something is going on with her kidneys, esp with the diluted urine. Ask your vet what he tested for in the blood work and does he feel that she needs to be tested for Cushings. btw, does she eat jerky treats?

·
Registered
717 Posts
So I bought my first dog, a Brittany, in September 2011 and she has been great the whole time I've had her. However, in the last few weeks, shes been displaying some troubling behavior. All of the sudden, its like she cant get enough water; licking wet sidewalks, drinking out of puddles, i think she'd drink a five gallon bucket of water if i let her. The downside to this though is that its like shes not even house broken anymore. she is constantly urinating. In her crate. In the house. An hour after she was last outside. Most recently, she has urinated on the couch, twice, while just standing on it. I took her to the vet last week and they didn't find anything in her blood work and her urine samples were too diluted. The sterile sample that was sent to the lab to grow bacteria showed nothing.

Has this happened to anyone else's dog, or does anyone know anything about it???

Thanks!
In people that sounds like diabetes, or even diabetes insipidus (its a hormonal imbalance that mimics diabetes) but you said tests came back normal.... Maybe google that anyway... Sorry couldnt be of more help.....

·
Registered
150 Posts
You need to return to the vet.

If her samples were too dilute, there IS something wrong. You just need to do more diagnostic testing. Are there any other signs she is showing? Weight gain or loss? Changes in appetite? etc.

Have you been bringing in first morning samples?

Can you measure out her water to quantify how much she is drinking?

Try witholding water overnight. Take the water up at 10pm and collect a first morning urine sample and take it to the vet for them to read a urine specific gravity. This will tell them if she does have the ability to concentrate her urine or not. May give you insight to diabetes insipidis too.

You can also collect urine samples at random points through the day for 2-3 days for them to check the urine specific gravity on.

Next steps to discuss with your veterinarian:
- Abdominal x-rays
- Testing for Cushings & Addisons (ACTH Stim test)
- Test for lepto
- Abdominal ultrasound

I feel your pain. I have a 6 year old Westie that has been PU/PD for about 3 years now. Drinks the high end of normal for water consumption but pees like there is no tomorrow. Bloodwork was normal. Abdominal rads normal except decreased urea. Bile acises normal. Urine cortisol levels slight elivation. LDDS normal. Lepto testing is not indicated in his case. We're going for an ACTH soon. If that is normal, I need ot save my pennies for an abdominal ultrasound.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses everyone!

@WestieLove
She has not shown any other signs besides extreme thirst and frequent/uncontrollable urinating. Her weight has stayed the same, he behavior is the same, still full of energy. Also, when I brought her to the vet, they kept her overnight, withheld water at 7pm and collected the first morning sample, which they said was still too diluted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
[

Hello! Wondering what transpired with your brittany? My 14 we old Brittany puppy is showing same symptoms. Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts