Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently got one of my dream dogs, which is a belgian shepherd (groenendael). I realize too late that I should have gotten a shepherd later... as my other dream dog is a cardigan welsh corgi. It would have been easier to bring in a small shepherd puppy with a grown corgi, rather than the other way around. Now I'm worried I won't be able to get the corgi at all. My belgian pup has a good temperament and is very trainable, but obviously very playful. Could I still get the corgi (when my shepherd is about 1-2 years old) or would that be too dangerous for them with a playful shepherd? I worry because they'd be so small and because of their long back.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
The concern I would have is prey drive in the Shepherd. If the small dog moves quickly will the shepherd go into prey drive and grab the puppy?

I only bring this up as I know the world is one less Papillon due to prey drive in a (German) shepherd. The two had been friends for months.. until they weren't as the Papillon went flying across the yard as the Shepherd was coming into the yard. He didn't see his friend.. he saw a white fluffy running and.. well it did not end well for the little dog.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can see how that would be a concern. I should also say that I have a cat as well, and my shepherd puppy almost completely ignores her (except for the occasional cheeky play bowing and jumping around). I don't think her prey drive is very high. She would definitely chase if she had no boundaries set, but with redirection I've trained her to ignore the cat.

·
Super Moderator
2,533 Posts
As someone with a relatively high energy dog who'll be two in the summer... you might be better off shifting your expectations to bringing in the next puppy when the first is 3-4. Give yourself enough time to make sure your shepherd has matured and fully grown out of that hormonal teenage phase, has a really solid grasp on how to manage his own arousal in all kinds of environments, and has really nice, reliable, solid foundation manners in the house and on leash. Especially if you don't have a second person in the household who can reliably help you handle both dogs if you have to walk and train them completely separately for a while.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think your dog would be happy to have a puppy companion. Don't worry. They will get along. I find a kitten, the dog has no problem with him, and my dog is a very aggressive bully kutta.
IMG_0751.JPG

·
Super Moderator
12,163 Posts
Don't worry. They will get along.
That is a potentially dangerous assumption. Few things are sadder than having two dogs that have to be forever separated - except losing one of them because you assumed they'd "get along."

·
Registered
20 Posts
That is a potentially dangerous assumption...
The assumption based on my experience. Having 2 mastiffs myself I been fostering dogs for molosser rescue. Sometimes has up to 5 big dogs at my house. Only once was a problem with food aggressive Boerboel.

·
Super Moderator
12,163 Posts
So you can assume that any pair of random dogs will certainly get along?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts