Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eddee's brindle looking coat is getting to where he needs a trim. I want to do it. If I trim an inch or so off everywhere will it grow back the same way? His hair is tipped in reddish, gray,and platinum. Some of his undercoat is blonde and silver and the middle of his hair shafts are chocolate to black.

I groom the Schnauzer/Poodles ... but that is WAY different! I am almost afraid to cut Eddee's hair!

Also .... if Eddee has Cairn Terrier in him ... as I seem to think he does ... I have heard that their coat can completely change colors as they become adults? Is this true and his hair could never come back the same if I cut it?

I have only tinkered around with his eyebrows as they were getting too long and into his eyes!

Any knowledge about this is greatly appreciated. :D

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
If he's really part Cairn and he has a wiry coat I would actually recommend hand stripping, wire coats won't grow back the same way if cut and get softer and lighter over time/repeated trims. When I stripped Roxie it gave her a lovely clean, short haired look and it grew back in a few months.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Eddee's brindle looking coat is getting to where he needs a trim. I want to do it. If I trim an inch or so off everywhere will it grow back the same way? His hair is tipped in reddish, gray,and platinum. Some of his undercoat is blonde and silver and the middle of his hair shafts are chocolate to black.

I groom the Schnauzer/Poodles ... but that is WAY different! I am almost afraid to cut Eddee's hair!

Also .... if Eddee has Cairn Terrier in him ... as I seem to think he does ... I have heard that their coat can completely change colors as they become adults? Is this true and his hair could never come back the same if I cut it?

I have only tinkered around with his eyebrows as they were getting too long and into his eyes!

Any knowledge about this is greatly appreciated. :D
Yep - cairns can change colour. Hamish at 12 weeks:
1997a_Oct25_Hamish_0002.jpg

and at 6 months:
1998c_Apr25_Hamish_0005.jpg

I didn't see his parents myself but I'm told they were cream too.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yep - cairns can change colour. Hamish at 12 weeks:
View attachment 35332

and at 6 months:
View attachment 35331

I didn't see his parents myself but I'm told they were cream too.
WOW!!! What a difference! Eddee for sure has Schnauzer in him ... maybe he would turn all silver! :D Maybe I should trim just to see of I get a different dog! Lol! It wouldn't make me love him any less ........

Hamish has a great color!

ALSO: How do you have Hamish groomed?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If he's really part Cairn and he has a wiry coat I would actually recommend hand stripping, wire coats won't grow back the same way if cut and get softer and lighter over time/repeated trims. When I stripped Roxie it gave her a lovely clean, short haired look and it grew back in a few months.
I bought a very fine tooth comb ... instead of a stripping tool. He does not seem to have very much of an undercoat .... I am not sure that would work? His undercoat is very thin and soft ... and his outer coat is course? He is a crazy mix-up! Lol! :)

·
Registered
878 Posts
WOW!!! What a difference! Eddee for sure has Schnauzer in him ... maybe he would turn all silver! :D Maybe I should trim just to see of I get a different dog! Lol! It wouldn't make me love him any less ........

Hamish has a great color!

ALSO: How do you have Hamish groomed?
He used to go to the local agriculture colleges so got a variety of haircuts!! Over the years we've gone for clipping instead of stripping and changed from the traditional cut with a long skirt and shaggy legs etc. to the same length all over.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He used to go to the local agriculture colleges so got a variety of haircuts!! Over the years we've gone for clipping instead of stripping and changed from the traditional cut with a long skirt and shaggy legs etc. to the same length all over.
Thank you! I really like his look. If I did not know better as a dog person ... he could almost pass for a Westie at a distance. :)

·
Registered
878 Posts
Thank you! I really like his look. If I did not know better as a dog person ... he could almost pass for a Westie at a distance. :)
Most people think he's a westie when they first see him - it's only when we point out the differences that they realise he's a cairn.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Most people think he's a westie when they first see him - it's only when we point out the differences that they realise he's a cairn.
I actually thought about getting Eddee a Schnauzer cut ... and doing it myself. I am so chicken! Lol! I am going to wait and see if there are any more responses to my thread first though .... I would hate to ruin him for life! Lol! If I have to ... I will take him to the groomer. But I would really like to save the $ for necessities. :)

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
Schnauzers are actually supposed to be stripped too I believe but you could also trim, honestly it's up to your personal preference and you should go with what looks right to you :)

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Yes, his wiry, coarse coat will soften and lighten if clipped. His coat will not change colors drastically otherwise, like the above poster's cairn. That was a puppycoat to adult coat change. Many puppies of various breeds change colors along with textures when adult coat comes in. You will see those changes starting as early as 6 months of age. I too, would recommend stripping rather than clipping. You wont see much difference if you clip the first few times, but then the new coat growing in will be softer, and likely lighter in color, like the hair around his face that has that softer lighter feel to it. Stripping is easy. Just go thru the coat and start pulling the longest hairs, as they are dead. After a,few,months of regular pulling of the coat, you will have a few layers in the coat, the longest always being the layer to pull. If you want him shorter, pull more often, like every 2 weeks to maintain that length. A fine tooth comb and a slicker brush will help also, as both will help in removing some of the long dead coat. Always pull the skin tight when plucking hairs, pull in the direction the hair grows, and keep your pulling motion as close to the skin as possible, meaning dont pull up, pull back. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Graco22-

Thank you! I was hoping you would be by! :D

It makes sense ... all but the pulling the skin tight. Would that be like when I was giving sub-Q fluids and pulling the skin straight up and pulling the hair the opposite way ... or just holding the skin down tightly in one spot? I don't want to torture him! Lol!

Should I be scissoring his face or just his beard and eyebrows?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
No, not like sub Q. Hmm. How to explain. If you are pulling hair on the topline (top of the back/spine) you pull the skin just in front of the area you are pulling towards his head. Not up, just forward towards the head, in the opposite direction you are pulling. You would pull that hair in motions towards,the tail. Make sense? You shouldnt be trimming or cutting ANY hair that you want to stay with good colol,and wiry texture, even on the face, head and brows. Everything you cut will change. Sanitarys dont matter tho, as that is generally kept so short anyway, and its too sensitive an area to pull. I need to make a youtube video! lol

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, not like sub Q. Hmm. How to explain. If you are pulling hair on the topline (top of the back/spine) you pull the skin just in front of the area you are pulling towards his head. Not up, just forward towards the head, in the opposite direction you are pulling. You would pull that hair in motions towards,the tail. Make sense? You shouldnt be trimming or cutting ANY hair that you want to stay with good colol,and wiry texture, even on the face, head and brows. Everything you cut will change. Sanitarys dont matter tho, as that is generally kept so short anyway, and its too sensitive an area to pull. I need to make a youtube video! lol
Lol! I understand now! You really should do a youtube video! :D .............

Thank you! I have not attempted to trim anything but his eyebrows and I only scissored off about 1/4 inch. I will be sure to try this tomorrow ... I'll let you know how it goes!

I have a very fine tooth comb ... I will have to get a slicker!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
OK .... I tried stripping. I got a bit of long dead black and light colored undercoat out. But the length is still there.

It did not seem to bother Eddee. I made sure not to try and strip his sanitary areas. I did not try and strip his face or head or ears.

I have another couple hundred questions if you wouldn't mind answering them. :D

Would it be better to strip right after bathing?

Do I keep stripping if there is hair still coming out on a daily basis?

Should I just strip until desired length is acquired? I see you stated that stripping for weeks will acquire layers.

If nothing loose comes out ... what is your take on this? Maybe he is not a dog who really needs stripping?

I really appreciate you taking the time to help with this! :D

EDIT: I only worked on him for about an hour. I see you previously stated that stripping over time will acquire layers.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
OK .... I tried stripping. I got a bit of long dead black and light colored undercoat out. But the length is still there.

It did not seem to bother Eddee. I made sure not to try and strip his sanitary areas. I did not try and strip his face or head or ears.

I have another couple hundred questions if you wouldn't mind answering them. :D

Would it be better to strip right after bathing?

Do I keep stripping if there is hair still coming out on a daily basis?

Should I just strip until desired length is acquired? I see you stated that stripping for weeks will acquire layers.

If nothing loose comes out ... what is your take on this? Maybe he is not a dog who really needs stripping?

I really appreciate you taking the time to help with this! :D

EDIT: I only worked on him for about an hour. I see you previously stated that stripping over time will acquire layers.
Ok, thats a good start. What you are starting with is a coat that is all one lenght, and likely blown. Meaning dead and ready to be pulled so new hairs can start growing in that follicle. With wire coats, new hairs dont grow unless the dead hair is plucked or falls from the follicle. When you cut the hairs, that folicle remains clogged with that dead hair shaft, and nothing grows from it. If you continue to do that, over a few clippings, all that will be left growing is undercoat, which is why you see the colr and texture of the dog change. Its not that the hairs themselves change, but that only undercoat grows back. Undercoat is generally lighter in color, hence why most dogs turn lighter colors. Ok, so I just went off subject..lol

Anyway...you will have to keep pulling ALL the dead hair until at some point, you have ideally a few layers of length in the coat. A layer of dead or almost dead coat, a layer of prime coat, and a new, short layer that is just getting started. Of course you can have more than 3 layers too. But if you dont pull the coat regularly(depends on each individual dog. Some need pulling every week, some you can get away with 2-3 weeks) then the layers all catch up to each other and the entire coat is blown again. It is going to take some time, weeks, of regular pulling before you will be able to see layers, and get the coat to a length you like.

No, do not bathe then strip. Always strip a dirty coat. A clean coat is too slippery, and bathing softens it a bit for,a,few days, making it harder to pull. Dirty coats pull easiest.

If nothing loose is coming out, it could be a few things. It could be that you need to pull harder. Some coats (airedale coats for instance are hard pullers). It could be that the coat is not ready to come out yet. Could be you need a better grip on the hair. Ear powder is a cheap, and great way to grip hair better. It couldmbe you are trying to pull too many hairs at once. You will have to pull pretty good. The hair wont just fall out in your hand with a little tug. Try using some powder to get a better grip with your fingers and see if you have better results.

From the looks of his coat, it is mostly blown and ready to be pulled. Might just need to use some more elbow grease. If that fails, this is about the only time I would recommend a coat king. That will cut some hair, and over time, change the texture of the coat, but if its not pulling out, its a better option than just clipping it.

Feel free to ask away. I am happy to answer all that I am able to. :)

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you sooo much! I will work on it some more. Here is what it looked like the day I adopted him. But it looks to me as if it may have been clipped? I could be wrong though ... since I am not familiar with stripping coats yet. :D

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Is very likely he was clipped before you adopted him, as few handstrip pets, especially a rescue. But you can keep working on him and get him down to a length like this. One thing I forgot to add...very important. Make sure you are stripping evenly all over the body and legs. dont just pull one patch short, then not make everyhing match within a few days, or you will have uneven regrowth as well, and it will take forever to work the coat enough in the right spots to even it back up.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you! I will keep you posted ... and probably more questions! Lol! :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts