Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a good dog who we believe was a stray. The vet recovered him when he was brought in with a huge cut on his side, we were told it was most likely from being hit by a car or someone hurting him physically.

Well we have had him about 6 months and his Belly has been lately a really bright red - it looks painful like really bad chaffing, but I dont think thats what it is.

We took him to the vet and they gave us some oatmeal shampoo but that really did not work.

anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
823 Posts
What did the vet say it was? Allergies? Irritation? Oatmeal shampoo will not fix it immediately, give it some time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
correct - Vet said Allergies - Maybe it will take a few more baths - I guess it cant hurt to try it - he just hates baths.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Have you changed food lately? Any new products in the house or in his diet or environment? Is he in contact with any grasses or anything that's blooming recently? Any chance of fleas? Did your vet suggest Benadryl? I think I would be working on finding out what he's allergic to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have tried changing food. Originally they were on Diamond Large Breed, because he joined my two other dogs in the family when we adopted him, and thats what they were on and he himself is 100+ lbs. Since then we have tried a Purina Lamb and Rice thinking it might be food allergies but no dice. Its not Fleas we have them checked and medicated routinely.

The vet says we should keep bathing him - that skin allergies are a very touchy thing. I guess we will keep doing this but its not easy when a dog this large does not like water.

I appreciate the suggestions -

BTW - I believe he is a bulldog mix with Lab.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I have a bulldog/lab mix, but not quite as big as yours. You must have an American Bulldog mix? Pics are a must now...
Bulldog, and labs, have a lot of allergies. Is he itchy?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Introducing Ramses. This is a pic of him last year - shortly after we got him - you can see the scar on his side from the accident. He has put some healthy weight on since then.

The black dog is Mia.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tomorrow I will post a picture of the "Rash" just not positive it will show on camera, we will see.

Thanks everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts