Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may rub some people the wrong way, but i've never been a fan of certain breeds, they just annoy and bore me.

Retrievers
Poodles
Spaniels
English Bulldogs

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
english Bulldogs?

I'm not a fan of Poms or min pins.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I've met several dogs I've not been a fan of, but never an entire breed. Individuals are just too different for me to paint them all with the same brushstrokes like that.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I wouldn't go as far to say an entire breed annoys or bores me, but there are breeds I find more appealing for different reasons, like temperament or even just aesthetics, and that would obviously present itself in the breeds I currently owned.

I can't dismiss a breed behavior wise, because usually when I meet a "bad" dog I blame the owners. So aesthetically? I'm not particular fond of Labs, Shih Tzus, or Goldens. That's not to say I haven't met quite a few that I thought were great dogs.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well... I'm sure this won't be the most popular opinion, but I'm not a big fan of any types of retrievers. They're really handlier/people oriented, and I prefer a more independent dog. Plus, they're very high energy/hyper dogs, and for me that combination would equal alot of annoyance.

I'm not a fan of most bully breeds. I've just had bad experiences with them, and to be honest I'm afraid of them. I think that maybe some are nice, but I've not had that experience.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I can't say I just out right dislike any breeds. But there are breeds that I doubt I will ever want to own. Sush as terriers or any of the mastiffs. I've just never met a terrier I synced with, and I can't deal with drool. At least not drool in large quantities. ;)

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
I'm not a fan of most bully breeds. I've just had bad experiences with them, and to be honest I'm afraid of them. I think that maybe some are nice, but I've not had that experience.
google Bandog Dread and Weela the pit bull.

and breeds im not a fan of...

(this is mostly based on coat type and body type)

poodles
Goldens
Portuguese Water Dogs
Labradors
Maltese
Samoyeds
Chows
Cocker Spaniels

i am someone who CANNOT do big heavy grooming requirements. ninety percent of the breeds i like all have super short coats. i also like a particular body shape.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I love all dogs for the most part but I wouldn't want to live with them all. There are actually only a few breeds that I would want to live with. Everything else just doesn't work for one reason or another. Too much hair, not active enough or many to much activity, hair, size. I am NOT a fan of real small breeds. (for me) Rottweiler's are big enough for me too. I love Mastiff's, St. Bernard's etc... but I don't want to live with them. If I were younger I might though.

If I am going to say which breed I am most afraid of I would say that would be Yorkies and maybe Dachshunds.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Oh, I forgot all about fear. I am terrified of Malamutes. Uncomfortable with Huskies, but the Malamute fear is heightened by a lot of bad experiences. But I think they're beautiful and have met one I was comfortable spending time around.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I don't think it's breedism at all. Most dog breeds I wouldn't want to live with, actually. I love pit bulls but will probably never have one or any breed very prone to dog aggression because it wouldn't fit in with my lifestyle at all. So that throws most terriers out. I could never see myself with any smoosh nosed dogs or dogs that need professional grooming. (Laziness right there)

It'd be easier to say what I do like. Aesthetically I like a medium sized dog that is built rather lean with a feathered or smooth coat, erect/semi-erect ears and longish snout. I like higher energy breeds that are very engaging with their owners. Highly aloof dogs don't do much for me.

So yeah, that leaves me basically with some herding type breeds. Paps are probably the only toy dog I'll ever own because they're very different than the other toys and they incorporate the traits I like into a tiny package. I like some giant breeds but most are probably not enough energy for me.

There are two breeds I've repeatedly had bad bad encounters with, which are American Eskimos and Miniature Schnauzers. I have recently met one of each breed that I really do like (the schnauzer was a puppy, though and the eskie was a standard, not a mini like the ones that tried to attack me). I actually enjoyed the Eskie so much, if it had been the right time I might've taken him home!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Poodles (except for the standard poodles...I like them)
Chihuahuas (every one I've seen trembles and seems neurotic/yappy)
Pugs and other very short nosed dogs w/bulging eyes. (I don't like the snorting)
Chinese crested puffballs
Blue heelers/ACD (The ones I've seen are not physically appealing to me, and quite a few seem too high energy/nippy).

That's not to say, if I saw one running loose on a street I wouldn't try to catch it so it wouldn't get run over. I just wouldn't prefer to own one of those above.

Love most large breeds and medium breeds, and small dogs w/o pushed in noses. I love St Bernards, Great Pyranese, Burmese Mountain dogs, all Husky types, English Sheepdogs, all Spaniels, Shar Peis, Lhasa Apsos, Shih Tsus, Poms, Chows, Bassett Hounds, Newfoundlands, Papillons. I might not want to own all of the above due to space/needs, but they all bring out the "Awwww" factor in me.

The exception to the smushed in face is the Bull dog. I adore them, because they are so ugly they're cute.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'm interested by how many people say retriever/labradors, especially since labs are so popular and considered the "ideal family dog" (which I've never agreed with :p). Personally, I love labs!

I'm not very fond of small breeds, though have grown a respect for them since training a few. I also wouldn't own a dog with high grooming requirements. I did once and it was a pain in the butt. Mostly this is long coated dogs, or dogs with special needs due to skin conditions etc. I don't mind a dog that blows it's coat, while the amount of fur can drive me crazy chasing it around the house with a broom, grooming the dog itself isn't all that bad.

I wouldn't say I hate any breed, just some I'd prefer not to own. I generally like high energy breeds that require low grooming. I love a dog that's intelligent and interactive with people as well. However, I think my next dog will be one that is less demanding with energy, as I'm finding I have less and less time to devote to high energy dogs.

Smushed faced breeds like the Pug or English Bulldog make me a little disgusted and sad, I have to say. This isn't really directed towards the dogs themselves or their personalities or anything, it just saddens me to see a breed that has been bred with exageration in mind that cripples their ability to breathe, and in the bulldog's case; to give birth naturally!

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I don't like most labs I meet. Generally though I think that is due to poor breeding and training. I have met dogs I've liked and not liked of the same breeds so it tends to be on an individual basis. There are plenty of breeds I don't want to live though.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I don't like bully breeds, I find them too unpredictable, and not necessarily that pretty to look at (my opinion). I'm not huge on some mini breeds IF they have the "small dog syndrome... but that would only be some of the dogs in each breed so I can't say that I don't like that specific mini breed.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts