Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't want to steal the pit bull thread, but I would like to hear about the different breeds that are successful in tracking in search and rescue. No offense to anyone in schutzhund, but I view that as simple tracking. I have seen many breeds in air scenting, but seems tracking is more of certain breeds. I have one malinois certified through NAPWDA, and just started another 6 month old mal last week.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tracking game would be equivalent I think, as its varied terrain, long trails, and possibly fairly old. Do they only track blood trails, or are they used to track prey before the hunt?

I have seen some difference in dogs on game vs human. Some have a natural tendency to track animals, and some for man tracking. From what I have seen, though you can train some dogs, others always want to 'critter'.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GSP? I haven't seen one tracking. I would have assumed they would rely more on sight, so that's interesting thank you!
Aussies, border collies, gsds all are great.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I enjoy hearing of the different breeds! I train hrd, trailing, and, tracking, and they all pose their own issues. I don't know that one is harder than the other, but they do require different type dogs to realty be successful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts