Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long between litters is recommended to wait breed again? And how many times do you reccomened. Trying to prove a point to a friend who's just had a litter.

·
Super Moderator
2,054 Posts
It depends on a lot of factors. Breed, age of the bitch, how well she handled the first pregnancy and recovered afterward, etc. The general wisdom is a year between litters, but there are situations where more time is warranted and even some where back-to-back breeding is okay, provided the bitch gets a nice long break afterwards - though someone should be VERY experienced with breeding to make that call. Minimum one year break tends to be safer, from what I know. Three to four litters on one bitch is the average 'safe' number, but again, it can depend on the breed and the age the bitch starts reproducing.

Giant breeds take longer to physically mature and have shorter lifespans, for example, so even a very healthy bitch who's an excellent mother may only have two litters, because she might start at three and be considered a senior by five.

Disclaimer: I'm not a breeder, just a biology and dog nerd who's interested in the process and who also has done research when getting my youngest, well-bred purebred dog to make sure I was supporting an ethical and responsible breeder.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
What point in particular are you trying to prove? As DaySleepers said, there are a lot of factors go into deciding when, or even if, a bitch should have another litter. Beyond the physical aspects of how she handled this breeding, whelping and litter raising, there is the question of how the pups mature, did this breeding meet the goals you set, would she possibly produce better pups with another stud, and was she a good mother who seemed to enjoy having puppies?

Reactions: DaySleepers

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
How long between litters is recommended to wait breed again? And how many times do you reccomened. Trying to prove a point to a friend who's just had a litter.
I will assume that the litter is registered, the bitch and sire are health tested and titled and this is a first litter in a bitch over the age of 2 and the bitch is in good physical shape. Maybe a lot to assume but there it is. I will just answer the question posed.

It is healthier for the bitch to be bred back to back heats (normally they come in heat every 6 months). Leaving a bitch open for the next heat after having a litter also leaves her open for false pregnancy and pyometra and she may not catch on the heat after that. .

All that aside, there are very few bitches you would want to have pumping out more than 4-5 litters in a life time with retirement and spaying happening after the last litter is weaned and before 7 years old. A bitch having that many litters should be an outstanding member of the breed and have an outstanding pedigree. Most bitches are bred once or twice and that is the end of their breeding career.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
It is healthier for the bitch to be bred back to back heats (normally they come in heat every 6 months). Leaving a bitch open for the next heat after having a litter also leaves her open for false pregnancy and pyometra and she may not catch on the heat after that. .
A bitch can have a false pregnancy and/or pyometra on any cycle, regardless of whether she's ever been bred.

Reactions: 3GSD4IPO

·
Super Moderator
2,054 Posts
The discussions I've seen about back-to-back breeding among breeders I'd consider reputable also emphasize that the bitch absolutely needs to be in good health, good spirits, at good weight and condition, basically have bounced back as well as physically possible, to have had very minor to no complications on the previous litter, and to have not produced an extraordinarily large (and thus extraordinarily taxing) litter for her breed. Not to mention the cases where you're waiting for the puppies from the previous litter to mature before you make a judgement call about whether you want to repeat the pairing, or consider specific qualities in your next sire that balance better with what the bitch produces. It's just not something that's healthy or fair to put every bitch through regardless of circumstances. And I really hope no one who's considered 'reputable' is having a bitch go through 4-5 back-to-back litters in a row.

@LeoRose My in-laws' late wirehaired dachs went through false pregnancies almost every heat despite having never been bred, poor girl. Never caused her serious problems luckily, but still hard on her. I don't know if it's me being American, but if I have a bitch like that I'll find someone who'll consider it enough of a medical problem to spay her (spays are only done for medical reasons here, not preventative).

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Yes it is true that any dog can have a false pregnancy or pyometra if not bred. My understanding is the risk of pyometra increases when breedings are skipped and, whether bred or not, as the dog ages. First litter before age 4 and last litter by age 7... though most breeders I know get 1 to 3 litters and the bitch is retired.

Yes, the bitch must be kept in good physical condition (neither fat nor thin) when being bred.

Bitches NOT being bred at all should be spayed after at least the first heat though I prefer to wait until the bitch is over 2 years old.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts