Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Have you ever had the thought too breed a specific breed of dog that was dying out?

• Yes, I'd hate to see "___" become extinct!

Votes: 16 88.9%
  • No, there are enough dog breeds as is!

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have you ever had the thought too breed a specific breed of dog that was dying out? I was looking at a list of different breeds and came across the Rajapalayam and thought to my self "I wish I could find a way to help this breed live on". If you could, would you try to bring a breed(s) from the brink of extinction? (while making sure the breed is within it's "standard" if it has one and make sure to find very healthy dogs to breed with, that pass the needed health tests to assure the breed your saving is healthy and fit...etc...) If you ever would do it, how would you go about saving your rare breed?

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
If Papillons were becoming extinct and I was in the financial position to breed, then I probably would do my best to keep the breed alive. Fortunately, none of the breeds I want to own are on the verge of extinction, and I'd only breed a dog if they were my breed of choice, not just because there's a breed in need of rescuing. Also, regardless someone's desire to save a breed from extinction, I believe ALL breeding should be responsible and ethical. If someone starts a puppymill to keep a rare breed alive, I'd very much prefer it if the breed went extinct.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
for me your poll doesn't have enough options. my answer would be

yes ONLY IF they are being bred to meet the original purpose of the breed and are bred with health and purpose FIRST in mind and show ring looks and Flash second

If those aren't met then no.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
One endangered breed I'd be sad to see go is the Skye Terrier. They're cute little guys, and have been around since before kennel clubs were invented. Very endangered, though.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I'd love to see otterhounds stick around, but I wouldn't personally breed them.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Thought this article interesting
http://caninebreeds.bulldoginformation.com/endangered-dog-breeds.html
I was not aware that so many breeds of dog were at this point. I have only seen one Skye terrier in person. He was at a Petco and the owner was surprised that I knew what breed he was. He sure was a cutie. At the clinic I work for we have a client who breeds red and white setters. Beautiful dogs. They hunt them and show in field trials. Glad that he is making an effort to re-establish this breed.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Pharoah hounds are not in danger, nor are several of those breeds, at least not here in the USA.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
i answered yes to this but i also need to "clarify"....the breed would have to have traits worth "saving" from extinction....and, IMO, the Rajapalayam dog has too many traits that i don't think are worth that unless they could be bred out/tempered....

As with many fully white dogs, there is a high incidence of deafness in this breed.Puppies born with whitish or blue eyes are deaf. Many Rajapalayam dogs suffer from mange, though this is usually not a serious problem.
They do not usually like to be touched or handled by strangers and are known to be one man dogs. Most specimens are aggressive and hostile towards strangers, and will attack intruders. Socialization in puppyhood is important.Rajapalayams usually do not get along well with other pets like cats, owing to their strong hunting instincts.
we have enuff "problem breeds" that are popular, thanx to our stupidity and expectations and, like w/ the rep that Pits, Rotts, GSD, Dobes, etc have, why continue w/ another that has the same trait that they are accused of....

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I wouldn't breed a random breed just to prevent it from becoming extinct. But if my breed were going extinct, then yeah I would. I do have a large interest in preserving the phalene. They used to be very endangered but now I think they're just considered uncommon. At any rate I'd like to see them as popular as their papillon counterpart.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I don't think much of that article.

Firstly, yes, Cardigans are in danger in the UK. But there are more bred here in the US each year than are bred in the UK in 5 years! (The breed is simply more popular here.) The genetic diversity is pretty good overall (although I worry that we've bottlenecked things linebreeding on Carbon) but in danger of extinction? Not really.

I worry about the size of the German Spitz genepool, especially here in the US and Australia. Here in the US, all our dogs are English imports or Australian imports (that go back to English imports 6-7 generations back). And they all basically come from three breeders.

Also on that list is Smooth Collies. Well, no surprise they're endangered-the KC doesn't allow them to be interbred with roughs. There have always been fewer smooth fanciers, historically, and I think that was a bad move on their part. (Although if I understand it correctly, they did it to allow there to be CCs for both roughs and smooths, otherwise they were shown together?)

I know one 'rare' breed on that list, the Alapaha Blue bulldog thing is probably more populous now than it ever has been in history. I suspect that it just may be rare in the UK. But since it's a breed that originated in the US, I'm not sure that says much.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wouldn't breed a random breed just to prevent it from becoming extinct. But if my breed were going extinct, then yeah I would. I do have a large interest in preserving the phalene. They used to be very endangered but now I think they're just considered uncommon. At any rate I'd like to see them as popular as their papillon counterpart.
I've tried looking for Phalene breeders, but there seems to be little to none.
Maybe I'm not searching hard enough....

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I've tried looking for Phalene breeders, but there seems to be little to none.
Maybe I'm not searching hard enough....
You probably wont find any breeders strickly of Phalenes because Phalenes and Papillons are considered the same breed here in the US. Phalenes just tend to commonly pop up in Papillon litters. I'm not sure of the gene dominance of floppy ears compaired to erect ears, maybe Lauralin knows? If you breed two Phalenes together will you get ONLY Phalenes? Do both Papillons have to carry the gene for drop ears to produce a phalene?

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
You probably wont find any breeders strickly of Phalenes because Phalenes and Papillons are considered the same breed here in the US. Phalenes just tend to commonly pop up in Papillon litters. I'm not sure of the gene dominance of floppy ears compaired to erect ears, maybe Lauralin knows? If you breed two Phalenes together will you get ONLY Phalenes? Do both Papillons have to carry the gene for drop ears to produce a phalene?
I'm not 100% sure. I am pretty sure it's completely recessive. I do know you have to have phalenes in the background to produce a true phalene. There are semi erect earsets and just incorrect earsets that happen too but they're not phalenes. Nard was supposed to be a phalene until he got other plans. He has phalenes on both his mom and dad's sides of the family. I'm not sure if erect ears can pop up in a phalene x phalene breeding. My gut feeling is not, but let me ask my phalene friend though to make sure I'm getting everything right though.

You will likely not find a phalene breeder anywhere where the breeds are considered the same breed. There are several papillon breeders though that have quite a few phalenes though.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^There seems to not be any in America, but I've looked and found that in Finland and Sweden, there are people who breed only for Phalénes.
I've also been wondering about papillon x phaléne breeding and whether it's more likely that there will be a phaléne even though both dogs aren't.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Erect ears are dominant in most dogs in general, I think.

I love Phalenes!

I'd enjoy breeding rare sighthounds if it wasn't so difficult to find homes for them. Most people don't realize how much calmer, cleaner, and naturally well behaved they are than many regular dog breeds. I guess that's a blessing, though- since it keeps them out of the grips of BYBers and millers.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
^There seems to not be any in America, but I've looked and found that in Finland and Sweden, there are people who breed only for Phalénes.
I've also been wondering about papillon x phaléne breeding and whether it's more likely that there will be a phaléne even though both dogs aren't.
They're registered separately in FCI countries but both under the group Continental Toy Spaniel. In many of those same countries they won't breed them together for those reasons. They believe that doing so will affect the ears and cause more dogs to do the half erect thing or end up with one up and one down. We don't really agree that that causes more off earsets though. So they're registered here as a variety of papillons, not their own breed.

In England they show them together though like they do in North America. More people are importing nice phalenes. It's harder to show a phalene because the judges aren't used to them. The drop ear creates a different allusion of balance so it throws people off at first.

If you breed an erect papillon to a phalene and the papillon carries the drop eared gene, then you can get some drop eared pups too. As far as I understand no one really knows the exact genetics

·
Registered
77 Posts
Cane Garouf, I googled this dog after seeing it in a post from Inga and Spicy one, or maybe from Spicy to Inga, anyway, if I had money I would try to help save this dog. I like big athletic dogs that can pack there own stuff. I think it was described as a athletic St Bernard, and Sts were historically pretty athletic, anyone ever see the trials of the swiss one's the monks raise on TV.

Mike

1 - 20 of 23 Posts