Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was looking at the CERF website, I need to get Hawkeye's eyes checked annually (according to his contract, if she ever wanted to use him for stud) I noticed that on their website, it states dogs must have a permanent identification, tattoo, microchip, or DNA profiling.

How do you do DNA Profiling? and what is it?

I noticed that Hawk's breeder has many dogs with the letters DNAcp or DNAvp behind their Reg. names. is this the same thing as DNA profiling?

This also reminds me I have to e-mail his breeder and ask her when I should start doing the CERF exams. It doesn't make sense to me to get him done now because he's not even titled in anything yet so it's not like she's going to use him for breeding right now anyways.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I've done my dogs via AKC. My imports had to be DNA profiled prior to being bred, according to AKC, and I've just thought it was a good idea to do the others that have been used for breeding.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
You can find a Lab that will do DNA profiling or you can do it through a kennel club. With AKC a stud that is used more then a few times must be DNA profiled. Just in case their is any question about that dog siring those litters. If they are already on file then the pups can be profiled and see if they are in fact a match or if someone was dishonest. I do it for a few different reasons myself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts