Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I stand corrected. Admittedly, the two places I've lived most of my life (suburban NY and Chicago) are hardly representative of the country, but I don't ever remember seeing that many dogs around.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
do you think that a lot less dogs would be owned if the owners had to do a little work into getting the dog

I stand corrected. Admittedly, the two places I've lived most of my life (suburban NY and Chicago) are hardly representative of the country, but I don't ever remember seeing that many dogs around.
Keep in mind that many families that have dogs don't have just one. some have 2,3,4,5,10,15,30,ect.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
do you think that a lot less dogs would be owned if the owners had to do a little work into getting the dog
I do....personally, I don't want to have 3 dogs. I think having 2 dogs would be great. But Moose was dropped in my lap and he didn't have anywhere else to go. I know plenty of other dog owners in the same situation. Like the poor guy in the rurals who always has 8-12 dogs, because people keep dumping them at his place.

so how many of those dog owning households keep their dog for the entirety of the dog's life?
Based on dogs I've known, I'd guess about half.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Definitely. The interview process for my adoption was enough to make me re-think my priorities; I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Keep in mind that many families that have dogs don't have just one. some have 2,3,4,5,10,15,30,ect.
Yes, but those stats indicated that 37% of households owned a dog. More than 1 out of 3 - that just blows my mind. I live in a pet-friendly apartment building - exactly the type of place that one would expect an above-average ownership rate (because dog-owners necessarily have to seek out this type of building, and all residents pay more as a result) - and only 1 in 5 units here have dogs.

·
Registered
343 Posts
To answer to OP-

I hate it when it's done badly (ie by puppy mills and BYBs) and I love it when it's done correctly by the "professionals."

I know that my next pup will be from a good breeder. Not that there's anything wrong with shelter dogs, but I want to title my dog on both ends. Plus, I like supporting people who do things right.

Good breeders deserve recognition for the hard work that they do. They don't deserve to be lumped in with Joe Schmo down the street who breeds dogs to put his kids through school.

Also, just to go along with some of the posts-

Good breeders produce very few litters compared wtih the puppy factories of the midwestern states.

It's really like apples and oranges- on one hand you have a group of very breed dedicated people who really, really love their breed and only want the best for the breed versus puppymillers, who only care about a profit.

Many people have a very hard time telling the difference. I feel it's just easier for them to lump everything into one group.

Anyway, you'll figure out where you fit eventually. I know I've got buddies that I can't talk about dogs with, because they're so rescue oriented and won't even bother to try to see the other side. They don't care if some breeders are good, to them they are all evil.

There are many people who are like that, in fact. And many of us fall somewhere in the middle.

Personally, I respect people who rescue dogs from the pound or from bad situations. It's just not for me.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Just like anything out there, I think there are good breeders and bad breeders. There are qualities that indicate good ones and bad ones. I don't have any problem with breeders who do medical testing and screening, have a clean, healthy environment in which to breed, are in it to better the breed instead of to make a few bucks and who respect and care for their breeding animals. There's a long list of what makes a good breeder, but those are a few.
Exactly my point.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Like a lot of things, the thing itself isn't bad - it's the usage of it that's either good or bad.

Breeding is not good or bad. It's the breeder's use of a natural action that's good or bad.

As far as breeder vs adoption vs rescue - do what you feel is right. SOMEONE has to give those puppies born to poor breeders a home - or would you rather they all just be killed? All the talk of "don't ever go to a BYB" is fine - but what about the dogs already generated?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I never used to care before... But now, I'm sticking to rescuing from Animal Shelters.

I used to dream and pine for a pure-bred Chihuahua or a pure-bred of any kind; but after what Donatello has done for me, I'll be sticking to rescuing in the future, I can't stand to think for one minute that another dog just like him is being put down because there isn't enough room for him. : (

I admire people who take their time and money to research breeding, and who breed the dogs properly, and make sure all their dogs are healthy and strong emotionally and physically and those that make sure their pups go to good homes.

This may make a few people angry, but I think if someone is found to be breeding dogs just to make a quick buck, should be fined. Sorry if no one likes that answer, but I just don't think people should be taking the lives' of dogs so lightly.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I don't believe that there is any real accurate way to track dog population. To go ever further and find out what percentage of people keep the dog the entire lifetime of the dog would be even harder. I know several houses that we work with on our rescue project that would tell you they keep their dogs for the entirety of their lives too. In some of the cases that is true. The lifetime of their dogs might only be 3-6 months and they usually have 4-5 dogs at a time. They go through dogs like crazy. I can say without exaggeration that I have watched thousands of dogs placed in that area as puppies, dumped or killed before they even reach their first birthdays. The numbers of animals suffering in this small area is mind boggling. I cannot even begin to guess how huge the actual number of dogs that die in less then desirable homes is each and every year. If regulating the breeding of dogs in some way could stop that from happening, I would be happy about it.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
If someone says they are a breeder, what exactly does that mean? How does that all work?
Unfortunately there isn't a "definition" for what a breeder is beyond they are the excuse for sperm meeting egg. And I won't get into the birds and bees to explain how that works. :p

Knowing that and...

If *I* make good choices in finding a dog *I* won't find myself in the lap of a breeder. Too many good dogs in shelters and rescues for a breeder to ever be a need for *me*.

Moral of story...

In a buyer beware market...beware.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
This may make a few people angry, but I think if someone is found to be breeding dogs just to make a quick buck, should be fined. Sorry if no one likes that answer, but I just don't think people should be taking the lives' of dogs so lightly.
It makes sense - if nothing else, it puts risk into their equation and they might not want to try it after that.

Has to be VERY steep, though. And should be.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.