Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I was looking for a roommate awhile back and had met someone at the park that also has an aussie and later found out she was needing a roommate too. So I thought that would be perfect. We had talked about our dogs and she seemed to know a lot about the breed and her dog was very well trained. The first thing she says though when I ask her about rooming with me was "oh our dogs will make the cutest puppies"! And then asked if my dog was fixed.. and to make it worse both of our dogs are red merles and her girl is only a year old. I found a different roommate.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Ugth, I think all Aussie owners need to be educated on the dangers of merlexmerle breeding. Honestly I had never heard of it before I got my Aussie, and if I wasn't an avid member of the dog community I probably still wouldn't know. So I can see how some bybs wouldn't know about it.

Some people are dumb. Nuff' said.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Ugth, I think all Aussie owners need to be educated on the dangers of merlexmerle breeding. . . So I can see how some bybs wouldn't know about it.
I think all owners of breeds which are known to be merle should know about it.
As for seeing how 'some BYBs' don't know, there are high name kennels who know about it and do it on PURPOSE. Pretty = more money though I suppose, screw health risks.

·
Registered
871 Posts
people have asked me since we got Ziva at 3 months of age if I would breed her. (NO!) But she's cute! (true) and she's sweet! (also very true!) and she'd have cute puppies! (quite possibly, also true). However: she is a 6 lb dog. Even if I were in of the mindset to breed a dog (which Im not), I would be scared to death to be responsible for the health and well being of such a small dog in pregnancy. What if there were trouble? What if she needed a C-section? What if carrying a litter killed my dog, or injured her in some way? I don't have the money, means, or time or even any desire to deal with any of that. The bottom line is that Ziva is MY dog, and I want to keep MY dog around and healthy, and I don't care about the invisible (albeit likely very adorable) little yorkies people want from her.
Which usually just leads back to "But she's so cute!".......

·
Registered
871 Posts
I must say the header on this thread caught my attention. Why would anybody want to breed crazy people???:)

We have had any number of requests to use our male who is a really great all round BC. I take their name and email address and send them a 4 page questionnaire which doesn't quite get down to asking the colour of their underwear but does ask every relevant question you might think of.

Never had a completed form back.
Lol, we live near Flint, the crazy capital of the world. People here be breeding crazy people every day, in excessive amounts.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
One time I was walking my dog and the neighbor stops me and he says "You should breed that dog, she's just like my old dog!" as he stands there forcing her be pet. So I'm picking up my dog now to get her away from him and I say "oh, I'm getting her spayed" and he says "Well let me know if you ever breed her, I'd pay for one of those puppies!"

That dog he had was a mean SOB who looked like a black and white rat terrier and she got hit by a car. Even if I DID breed her I still wouldn't let him have one of the pups...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I understand that people may not get a dog within 6 months of wanting one and that good breeders have higher standards than most people with like to live with. Even my boss was argumentative about the fact that I have to get my dog neutered per my breeding contract... She's like "how can someone tell you what to do with your dog". I simply stated thats what I agreed to and that no one forced me to stick to that.

I even told someone that at Petco today, that I'm not allowed to breed him... They replied.. well no one would know... -_- its really crazy!

·
Registered
17,918 Posts
She's like "how can someone tell you what to do with your dog". !
I'm all over the boards tonight - sorry, guys.

This is an issue that I run into from a lot of people, including my family and people on dog forums :)fish:), when it comes to responsible breeders. It isn't the money. It isn't the time. It isn't the application or questions or requirements.

It's the 'It's MY dog, I can do what I want with it!' thing. And it's not specific to a spay/neuter contract. In fact, that's usually the least of it, since they're used to that from shelters and rescues. (What do you mean the breeder picks the puppy, the name, and has their contact info on their microchip?!).

I think it just takes a little getting used to, for some people.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Once, about a year ago, someone at a pet store asked if I planned to breed Gypsy. My answer was something like this:

"No way! Gyps is a mixed breed of questionable genetic health. There are tons of dogs like her in shelters, put to sleep every day. Breeding is expensive, dangerous for the female, and a ton of work... Plus, she's already spayed."

If I recall, they started looking embarrassed about halfway through my rant. No stupid comments like that since!

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'm actually kind of surprised we've never been asked. Granted, because of all their hair and long tails, no one can see my boys' parts. But I would almost expect people to ask since mine are an uncommon breed. Glad I don't have to deal with it, though.

I do get weird looks on occasion from some of my vets' staff. Most of them know I show, and am responsible, but occasionally, I get the weird ones who don't get it. Henley WILL NEVER be bred (in fact, we are saving to have him neutered), and Armani may be. That is yet to be determined, but we have one bitch in mind for him. But, he's not yet 2, and this bitch is not even a year old. We have LOTS of time to consider things!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Its not really that hard to understand why uninformed people who see a beautiful, well behaved dog would think if it was bred it would produce more beautiful well behaved dogs is it? Its not crazy--its simple ignorance. Most people just do not have an informed grasp of the situation. Do we get mad at 6th grade students who dont know why the war of 1812 started? Instead we explain the geographical, social and political situation at the time and help them understand...its how people learn and progress. The fact that we have learned of the pitfalls of haphazard breeding doesnt make us more righteous. It actually burdens us with the task of passing along the information. So rather than choose to be offended at the question and kill the conversation with a curt reply why not apply some patience and understanding. I would choose to enlighten the majority of the population whose only offense is never having been taught.

Of course if the question comes from someone who should already know better the gloves come off. ;)

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I honestly get sick of the snarky attitudes people give me when I tell them they're wrong about something. I've never had a discussion about breeding IRL, but I have debunked pack theory and some other things that are important to me unrelated to dogs and people just don't want to hear it.

Once some friends of friends were over and they asked if we recycled. I said only metal because plastics are more harmful to the environment to recycle than they are to throw in a landfill. They started preaching at me in my own house, trying to make me feel bad and promise to them that I would recycle. It didn't matter that I was providing statistics and valid, simply explained explanations. People think what they think and they base their world view on it so they don't want to change because it makes them uncomfortable. If recycling is bad for the environment then they have to face that they've been wasting their time and that the plastics and papers they've been happily wasting because "it can be recycled" are still harmful. By the same merit, people don't want to hear that alpha rolls are bad or that breeding willy nilly kills dogs. It destabilizes their reality. It makes them feel bad for things they have done or seen before they knew the truth.

So yeah, I do think it's a good idea to try and inform people, but for me, I can only be treated badly so many times before it stops feeling worth it. I basically keep my opinions to myself these days unless someone asks or sounds like they're going to be receptive. What makes me the angriest is that it doesn't take that much time to learn about these things if you just put in the effort. We live in the information age and people are still horrifically misinformed on so many things on a mass scale. It's discouraging and makes me really sad.

·
Registered
42 Posts
my last dog was a beagle collie mix with odd eyes. whenever people asked what breed i would say" beagle shepherd collie chi..." because he could have been for all i knew. within the first week i had people ask if i was going to stud him out. he was due for the op 2 weeks later so i just carried the contract with me saying if i want to keep him i had to neuter. the reply i got from one owner was hold off a while i know someone with a girl. my reply was always ok call me... and leave before giving any details.

·
Registered
241 Posts
This bemuses me, a bit. Nearly everyone can afford to *get* a dog. Yes, they may think that finding a cheap/free dog is better, and breeding may strike them as that option, but there isn't an economic divide, wherein people who are well off financially are better dog owners. They ARE more likely to have a dog from a petstore, but at the end of the day it's not usually a matter of having money available for a dog (or anything else), it's being willing to spend the money.

I know a lot of very well off families with dogs tied to trees in their manicured lawns, who will be put down when they're ill (or bred to 'recoup the cost of the expensive puppy), and a lot of some seriously poor families who will turn themselves inside out and upside down to make sure their dog -and family member- is properly cared for. They may not be able to afford a hip replacement, but they're not going to leave it languishing in pain, either.

An education divide, a cultural one, even possibly one depending on location, but economic status? No.
Thank you for that! It's the actual person that decides to be a good responsible pet owner, not the amount of money they make.
My husband and I work our butts off to be comfortable financially but I grew up dirt poor. I was the oldest of six kids and we never had much but we always had a dog. Our old family dog, Heidi, lived to an old age and my dad loved and took care of her. He may have had to save and do without but she was spayed and healthy. In fact I remember the time one of us kids left the gate open and she ran out and was hit by a car. My dad rushed her to an emergency vet but he couldn't afford the surgery. He came home and got his grandfather's old rifle and traded it to the vet for the surgery.

A know people with a lot more who love their dogs a lot less.

Anyway, original topic.... People ask us all the time if we want to breed Buttercup. It's funny because I'm sure that none of them even know what breed she is.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
When Gally was a puppy we were asked by at least three different people if when he was grown they could breed him with their dog (we were also asked at least twice if we would sell him, right there on the spot, wtf). More recently we got asked if he was intact because they wanted to breed him with their mixed breed dog who they'd bred themselves from a rescue dog. Their reason was "because he's cute and they both have short legs" cause you know that's a good reason.... They were really disappointed to find out he is neutered.

·
Registered
281 Posts
People tend to ask me a lot to breed my dog with their dog, just so their next dog can have a bit of GSD in it and since he's not neutered they all jump for joy, but then I tell them I have no plans to breed him, and if I did have plans, I would make sure he passed all the necessary tests to check his genes, hips, etc.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Ug I had this happen over the weekend. We went to my cousin's house and his roommate found a puppy in a ditch behind his work and she's maybe 10 weeks. She's pretty close to full shepherd from the look of her and he was off telling his friend that he was gonna breed her to this dog on her first heat. This dog he was talking about is some breed I can't think of at the moment, but he's 130lb white bulldog. He just started at me when I told him that would probably kill her and why breed a dog you know nothing about? I doubt she's even had her shots and he's had her for at least a week already. I really hope he was joking about breeding her.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts