Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't even had my puppy for 24 hours yet and 3 people have mentioned wanting to breed him! He is a 2.2 lb puppy you know nothing about! But to them he's "cute" and would make "cute babies".

This lady at petsmart said to me "too bad we just got our girl fixed they could have made beautiful puppies!"

I have read all the stories on here about random people breeding their dogs with strangers but this is the first time it's happened to me... I didn't think people like that were so common!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
There's all sorts of dumb out there.

A good response is 'actually we're going to have him neutered, because there's so many dumb people out there that don't and have puppies and dump them on the rescues. We'll leave the breeding up to the responsible dog breeders and not add to the problem.'

All puppies are cute....

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Yes, all puppies are cute and have wonderful personalities. Cuz, you know, puppy. How anyone could look at a tiny puppy and think "this tiny baby should have sex" is beyond me.

I've had people ask if I want to breed Kabota. I like to tell them that he's neutered so they'll have to get their dog spayed for it to work.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Buster was home about a week before the first demand came in for one of his pups. I was told (not asked!) that I need to breed him so one woman could have a puppy "just like him"...

Too many conversations start with "Is he neutered?". Buster has not been neutered. Very few stick around after hearing that I absolutely will not allow him to be bred to learn why. Due to his health issues, his vet has advised me against having the surgery done at this point.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I get the odd person asking about a pup out of one of my guys. I just tell them that once I have my application and website up and running they can fill out the paperwork and I'll let them know if they're approved as a home or not. Nobody asks twice oddly.

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
When I had Luna the foster pit bull around, we got asked A LOT if she was fixed. She had nice unique coloring and a good structure to her, so she got a ton of attention. There were many many disappointed backyard breeders and of course, the far more dubious types that desire to breed random pit bulls...
Even if she'd had a perfect pedigree a mile long, she was an absolute nutcase with dog reactivity that would have had no business breeding (a loveable and cuddly darling nutcase)

It's easier with an adult male dog that has been neutered, if they're short haired people can see they don't need to bother asking :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
The idiots where we live are constantly asking me to breed my girls, and oddly enough not even with other Pekingese!! I have had people with mixed breeds and a few with random breeds.....I am always like WTH?? People never cease to amaze me with their stupidity :(

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I have been asked about "breeding" my dogs on walks, at an employment office by a staff member, in vet offices, but my #1 place to be hit up fom breeding is in fast food drive throughs! Folks, they're altered!!! And if they weren't neither are "breed-worthy" anyway!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Oh I hear ya! My neighbor who adores my peke asked me right away, "Are you gonna breed her? Cause I'd want a puppy from you." What... WHAT? I did tell the woman she can contact my breeder for an application, then I told her the process to get a dog and how much I paid for it. Her response was, "No I'll just wait until you breed her and get a puppy for free." I informed her Auriel is getting spayed, vet says he'll do it between 5 & 6 months. I don't even want an "oops" litter. She then tried to feed me a line that females should have at least 1 litter before being spayed. "Nice try." I said.

·
Registered
17,919 Posts
I have a dog who *is* breeding worthy and who is not altered.

Fortunately, I have an easy out. "He lives with me, but his balls belong to his breeder". It confuses them, but it's crude and blunt enough to shut them up.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I've honestly never had anyone ask me about breeding my dog, thank god. What an awkward exchange that would be. I mean really, who just asks a random stranger if your dog can have sex with their dog so they can have some cute puppies. Creeps me out.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I've honestly never had anyone ask me about breeding my dog, thank god. What an awkward exchange that would be. I mean really, who just asks a random stranger if your dog can have sex with their dog so they can have some cute puppies. Creeps me out.
I think if you go to a shelter and adopt a pit bull, it is impossible to avoid the conversation. I am as ordinary, middle class, and middle aged as they come, and I get asked all the time. You'd think I'd be exempt based on my matronliness...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its crazy! That one lady was upset that she had her pomeranian fixed. And the worst part she stated telling me about health issues it had and I'm like why would you breed test? I thought she would have learned from her 2yr old dog who can't hear or walk what happened when people say hey let's breed! Its unbelievable!!!

I just cant fathom why to some people dogs = baby making machines! Makes me wonder where their dog came from and sends a signal that they didn't go through what I went through to get a dog!

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I have never had anyone in public ask me if my dog's were intact, tho at the same time I HAVE had people ask if I breed them so they assumed they were. With Hawkeye you can't see his reproductive status thru his butt hair.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a Peagle (Pekinese and Beagle) mix and she is the cutest thing ever. But people who can see she just recently got in heat have asked is it ok to breed her. My Fiancee and I have said before we didnt even think about it. My puppy is 9 months and barely 15 pounds whats the point if I couldnt have her around ever again?? I wanted her not her puppies lol so we just tell them she is NOT ON DUTY lol.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Cali used to get those requests all the time.. because you know, "those big ears are just so cute! and oh, she would make such cute poofy puppies!". What really irks me is when a vet asks people about breeding their dogs (as I've heard many times on other forums).. if the person was a reputable breeder then it's fine, but just random people? I'll just say I really like my vet and how knowledgeable she is about that stuff.

·
Registered
801 Posts
When people would ask me that about Cassy when she was really little I noticed it was usually people that looked like they couldn't afford a dog.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Next time I'm gonna ask them how they would feel if someone said that about their child!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Haha, I cant help myself. When I read the title, I thought "we have enough crazy people already and now they are breeding?."

Not you guys though, y'all are a good crazy -for the most part.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts