Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was walking Sam and a lady came up to me in the park. She asked if he was male and PB since she has a Yorkie too that she wants to breed. I explained to her that while he was male and PB he was only 3 months old (although he weighs 7 lbs which is the max the adult yorkie is allowed to weigh so I'm not surprised she didn't think he was so young) and we were getting him fixed in August. She then told me that she was asking because she has 6 month old "teacup" (no such thing really, its just a small Yorkie) Yorkie at home who is going through her first heat and that she thinks it will help "settle all her heats down" in the future if they breed her in her first one! She's also only 3 lbs! I was so shocked I didn't even know what to say!

She also wants to become a professional breeder apparently! I told her her dog would probably die birthing the pups and she should definately wait until she was much much older. I just couldn't believe she even though that this was okay! And if she wants to be a professional breeder, Sam would be the very last choice for a stud dog! Not only is he huge but his ears don't stand up and he doesn't have good confromation at all. She told me she didn't know her pup could die and would talk to her vet about it. I really hope she doesn't end up breeding her poor puppy and gets it spayed!

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Sadly, I have run into people with my boy also that think finding a stud dog means approaching them on the street to make the deal. It is really sad to think of all the puppies/dogs out there in the homes of crappy people. They have no control over the home they get. They do not get to control whether their owner simply wants to "use them" for their own financial gain, greed or entertainment.
I tend to respond by saying "sure, I will breed your dogs as soon as it is of the proper age, has all the proper health clearances and is titled in conformation and obedience. Then we will at least know that the dogs will be of breeding quality." I will also say "I do not wish to contribute to the large number of unwanted pets currently being killed in shelters across the US." They usually walk away in a huff but a few of them have actually listened and maybe learned. I am hopeful at least. ;) :)
Good for you for saying "NO!"

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Breeding at the first heat is a common misconception among average dog owners. There are even a lot of people who spay their dogs that believe having one litter first is the way to go. Usually it's followed by some kind of "They should get to experience motherhood" reasoning which is of course...not a valid reason to breed.

Their used to be this guy who lived up in my apartment building who would constantly ask if Dakota (a tri color Rat Terrier) was a purebred Miniature Pincher and if I wanted to breed her. Obviously not someone you wanted to count on as a source for your next MinPin :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Ugh...That's terrible. I don't know what I would've done! I'd probably have been so shocked I wouldn't have said anything. :) Good for you for educating her! She sounds like she was truly just ignorant, and hopefully has a good vet who will advise against it.

Imagine if a parent said "Oh, my 10 year old daughter is having her first period. She should get pregnant."

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Things like this sicken me. My boyfriends sister let her Aussie get pregnant during her first or second heat cycle. It didn't damage her physically (though her nipples are still all floppy and enlarged, and it's been like 6 months), but she was definitely mentally scarred. She's now in a constant state of anxiety, and has developed human and dog aggression. She's even bitten my boyfriend's dad and drawn blood several times. It's almost impossible to walk her now, too, because she flips if she sees a person or dog. It's really tragic to have seen her change like this, she was a completely different dog before she had puppies! It's not her fault at all, and I don't know when I'll ever forgive her owner for doing such a terrible thing to that poor dog :( Not only that, but two of the puppies died (that we know of) and she sold them at 5 WEEKS because she was "tired of cleaning up puppy poop"!!!! And she plans on breeding her MORE because she can sell them and make money :mad:

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
earliest I've ever seen was a collie who whelped at 11 months (very determined stud scaled the fence). However, the bitch was maturing nicely for her age and everything did go smoothly and the litter had 7 and never did have a problem. The bitch went on to be a successful producer - in fact, a CH was in that very first litter.

60 + years ago some of our best collie breeders bred their bitches at around 10 or 11 months. It helped to fill them out.

Breeding a teacup at 6 months? Doesn't sound very smart to me.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
That is beyond selfish and cruel. I know that smaller breeds typically mature faster but at such a young age and so small (the size is what gets me) why not wait at least a little bit. I would not recommend this even but gosh at least 3rd heat/18 months old if they are a professional byb.

·
Registered
637 Posts
when i was much younger around 7-8 my mum had a border collie bitch only 7 months old, who came into her first heat (mum bred dogs for working) any way, mum put her in the bitches box to keep her out of trouble and we went out to town for the day... on returning we found that a rogue rhodesian ridgeback had been so determined to mate that he had actually dug through a foot and a half of solid concrete and bent the bottom of the cyclone wire fence....sufficed to say a few months later we had the cutest pups, unfortunately the mum suffered calcium deficiency, from which she recovered and homes were found for all of the pups

·
Banned
749 Posts
I was approached by someone who asked if Lola was spayed. I told them she was and she said to bad because I know someone who has a dog whose very good looking like your dog is and they can make beautiful puppies together. I told her then even if she wasn't spayed I would not put her through that type of hell.

I seen some pictures one time of a Japanese Chin giving birth on the internet once and all I can say is in looking at those I wouldn't wish puppy birth on any female dog.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I was flipping through a vet journal (JAVMA, I think) the other day and they had a case study of an 18-month-old Toy Poodle who got pyometra after her 3rd litter!!!! The owners stated they didn't know when she got pregnant, or even who the father dog was, except that they also owned an intact male Toy Poodle who was presumed to have fathered the pups.

Man, some people are so stupid. Good thing that Poodle did get pyometra---it probably saved her life. Imagine the poor thing getting pregnant on every heat for the rest of her life......:mad:

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
You should have to pass an academic test before adopting a dog. A second before breeding.
Well that would certainly drop the number of back yard breeders. lol I agree with you though. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts