Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really just started thinking about this since my last post. We all know that breeders are extremely busy people, especially when they have a litter on the ground, so we tend to give them a lot of slack for communication.

My question is, when is lack of communication worrying? Or even enough for you to walk away from a breeder? For example, my breeder tends to only respond to the first email, she doesn’t ever seem to respond to follow up emails unless I send a brand new one (no “re:” in the subject line) and also says she’ll contact with updates... but has very little follow trough so I’m always having to be the one to reach out. I’m not ready to walk away from this breeder yet, I really like her and her dogs, but this communication sucks and I feel like I’m annoying her when I do ask for an update.

So this is just something I’m curious about and I would love people’s thoughts and feedback of when communication becomes an issue.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I know breeders who do not answer emails simply out of the questions being redundant and having already been answered.

I guess it depends on what you are asking.

If it is about purchasing procedure, there shouldn't be large volumes of questions and the answers are usually in the contract and purchase application.

It also depends on how much you are emailing or the frequency of asking. At what point is the buyer becoming a "pest." A breeder may not answer questions a lot when they realize the buyer is going to be VERY high maintenance after they buy a puppy. In fact, I know of breeders who will discourage the sale if it starts to look like the buyer is going to be an ongoing life long "question of the day" sort of person. These breeders don't mind helping.. but if they are going to be training the dog over the phone for hours on end, they are going to back away from selling a puppy.

I know of more than one breeder who met with people repeatedly and then, at the final meeting or at the puppy pick up they have handed the deposit back, taken their puppy out of someone's arms and told them to get off the property due to something they were extremely uncomfortable with.

I am not saying you are any of the above scenarios. That is between you and your breeder.

On the flip side, there are breeders who simply do not talk to the buyers much at all. The buyer puts a deposit down, might get ONE puppy visit before puppies are 8 weeks old and then they see them at puppy pick up. They collect their money and off you go with very little contact past whatever was in the puppy contract.

Of course in all of this both buyer and seller should be talking to references. That is all well and good too, but references will lie.

My latest breeder was very forthright. I was not a pest.. and this was not my first dog of this breed. I also know a LOT of people who buy her dogs for competition and they actually told me to go to this breeder. I was friends with her before I ever bought a dog from her and my friends are friends with her.. so that was a solid base. Not everyone is that lucky.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3GSD4IPO, thank you for your response. I definitely don’t feel like I’m being a pest, but I always fear of crossing into that territory. I don’t ask questions over and over, I know a lot about training/dog in general, and most of the communication has been to inform her of a small change or inquiring about an update (when she said she had a litter due in August and said she would update me but never did, at least until I reached out).

The main thing that I’m trying to figure out is, with this litter that she has now, am I most likely getting one of these pups? Or are there people ahead of me on the waitlist? And in my last email my only question was basically “is there an available male?”.

I know that these pups are young so she doesn’t know which ones will be for pet/show/performance homes, but I feel like she should be communicating if one of these pups is potenatially mine or am I wrong to be thinking that?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Does she have a PHONE? Call her... Easier to TALK.

Yes, she should be able to tell you if one of the males in this litter is for you or not.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Well I am glad to hear that I am not the only one having this issue. When we started looking for a puppy I emailed at least a half dozen breeders. Most of them did not even bother responding. The few that did have not been very reliable with follow ups either. As an example, one of the breeders was quite good communicating with me until she realized that I was adamant about wanting a female pup. As soon as I made it clear that I was not willing to take a male, she totally stopped communicating with me. To say it has been frustrating would be an understatement.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is VERY common. Some won’t respond to vmails either. I must have sent 10 emails and left 4 or 5 vmails to one breeder, who gets a LOT of inquiries. I finally got an email back after months, with an application attached but I cannot get her to either acknowledge if she got it or if I’d even be considered for a puppy. She has also removed her phone number from the internet. I have been thinking about writing her a letter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts