Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to work on mine and thought I'd ask for suggestions of what people like and don't like to see.

No, not going to do music, any references to religion, stupid trailing mouse lines, pop up window advertising or order a puppy from paypal, so you don't need to remind me how annoying those are.

I would like to include some good, sound information on picking a dog/breeder in general, some basics on raising a dog, ethics and that sort of thing as well as everything else. Something that people can send to friends who are thinking of getting a dog or who are having problems, that sort of thing, and to give people an idea of what kind of breeder I hope to be when I get to that point in a few years. A friend breeds goldens and she's not breeding till 2013, and yesterday she said her waiting list is now full, so I'm hoping that I can do the same and have lots of time to screen homes.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
~Info on what your breeding program is all about
~Info about you, how you got into dogs, etc
~Pictures, pictures, pictures
~Info about your dogs
~health info

that's all I can think of right now

I need to start working on ours eventually, hasn't been updated in many years.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I like to see not only what health tests have been done (and the results) but a page on what each test is and why it gets tested would be nice. Something else I found really interesting on a boxer site was the cost of raising a litter all written out. I saw it at the start of my search for a puppy and it was really eye-opening to me. Last, I really like to see that something is being done with the dogs and what that is. My boy's breeder has mostly conformation photos but also has some from obedience, agility, and sch. I like to know that not only CAN the dogs do something but the breeder is taking time to do it with them.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Design: Keep it simple and to the point. It should be easily readable with a minimum of pictures, unless you need them for explanatory purposes. (i.e., this is what hip dysplasia looks like.) Make sure you include mobile functionality as well. Many people surf solely on smart phones, you want them to be able to see your site.

ETA: Get someone to read everything through for you. It's easy to miss grammatical and spelling errors you wrote because you know what you meant. Those kinds of errors can be distracting and lead people to not take you seriously.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
In addition to what's already been mentioned, one thing that I haven't really found online is basic information for first time dog owners (or maybe I'm not using the right words in my searches). Not being a dog person, I don't know what's normal and what is cause for alarm. For example, I've seen a number of questions about "aggressive" puppies, when really they're just being puppies. I've wondered about things like licking, burping, sneezing...what's normal and what isn't? Perhaps a reading list that includes titles on basic training, dog communication, and health care.

Also, a section about what it's like to live with your breed. I know all dogs are individuals, but there are some common traits within breeds. When I was researching, I was frustrated by statements like "this is an active breed" or "requires regular grooming." I wanted specifics or examples, e.g., "this breed generally requires a daily, hour-long jog" or "thorough brushing twice a week and trimming every 6-8 weeks is required." Maybe a day in the life type narrative.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm not going to get into content... but to me presentation is everything. When I go to an amateurish website I don't take it seriously at all.

• Simple Fonts
  • Simple backgrounds - avoid backgrounds pictures, or textures - solid colors are best
  • Make sure your content is easily viewable in ALL types of browsers.
  • Proof read everything, nothings worse than a bunch of spelling errors.
  • Make sure ALL links work - I hate being directed to pages that no longer exists
Also, I personally hate websites where you have to scroll left to right to view all content, up and down is okay, left to right = annoying in my eyes.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
Design: Keep it simple and to the point. It should be easily readable with a minimum of pictures, unless you need them for explanatory purposes. (i.e., this is what hip dysplasia looks like.) Make sure you include mobile functionality as well. Many people surf solely on smart phones, you want them to be able to see your site.
Agreed, but I want nice, big, clear pictures of the actual dogs (each dog should have its own page with several pics, including stacked shots). We've all seen the sites with tiny (or dark, or even blurry) candid pics of the dogs, and that tells you nothing about the dogs' structure and quality. And when you have a litter for sale, please, nice big clear pics of the pups, too!

So many breeders' sites look like they were made using a website builder in 1998. I like something non-cluttered, with a simple color scheme. Let the dogs' pics be what attracts the eye, not bright colors and tons of different frames with their own scrollbars.

I like the look of this site: http://maribesopapillons.com/index.html
This one is pretty good: http://www.wowakk.com/ (I like how they have the dogs' pedigrees easily visible on their pages.)
And I like the simple look of this one: http://www.nordicminihuskys.com/

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I am kinda in the same boat as you, looking for people who are interested in getting a puppy from my first litter 3 years before they will be born. I plan on making a "Puppies" page on my website soon, but since I don't have any puppies at the moment I will simply write on that page "Contact me for information on future litter plans" or something along those lines. Something for you to consider as well.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
In addition to what's already been mentioned, one thing that I haven't really found online is basic information for first time dog owners (or maybe I'm not using the right words in my searches). Not being a dog person, I don't know what's normal and what is cause for alarm. For example, I've seen a number of questions about "aggressive" puppies, when really they're just being puppies. I've wondered about things like licking, burping, sneezing...what's normal and what isn't? Perhaps a reading list that includes titles on basic training, dog communication, and health care.

Also, a section about what it's like to live with your breed. I know all dogs are individuals, but there are some common traits within breeds. When I was researching, I was frustrated by statements like "this is an active breed" or "requires regular grooming." I wanted specifics or examples, e.g., "this breed generally requires a daily, hour-long jog" or "thorough brushing twice a week and trimming every 6-8 weeks is required." Maybe a day in the life type narrative.
this is a great idea. "active breed" doesn't mean much to the newbie, "needs 2 hours of walking and an hour of active play like fetch" would give people a good, solid idea what the dog will likely need. i found when researching breeds that breed specific rescues are the best at this. a lot of them have a section "why you don't want [breed]" with specific examples of what people find challenging/frustrating about the dogs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts