Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.. I was wondering if it is common practice to have the breeder pick the puppy they think is best for your family. In the past I have always picked the puppy and I guess the breeders way is new to me and want to see if it is common. I have viewed the kennels and the pups and the visit was great. Thanks

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Yep it is very much common practice among reputable breeders. Most of the breeders I know, including myself do this. The breeder's know their puppies more so than you do, there for they know what pup would be best for your family once you give them details about what you want.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
It did work out ok for my other 2 dogs that the breeder picked them out for us (good fit) but with the last litter we got a pup from I told them what we wanted (male pup with average size and middling temp not too sensitive or too over the top bold either) and she put out 4 for us to choose from (litter of 11 there were options! and I thought that was a nice compromise....

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yeah, it's pretty common. My breeder didn't pick for me, but she did suggest 2 puppies she thought were best for me. I did pick one she suggested, and he's been exactly what I need/want. Definitely trust yor breeder.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks For the feedback, this definately eases my mind about this. It does make sense that they would know their puppies best.

·
Registered
852 Posts
My Berner's breeder picked out my puppy for me. Tula is the perfect fit for our family. We met one of Tula's littermates and the breeder got it right for that family also. Trust the breeder, they know the puppies best.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
In my experience, it's common and preferable for the breeder to pick the puppy. When people meet a new litter it's common for everyone to fall for the outgoing puppy who runs up and grabs your pant leg, but he's probably running up to every new family and doing the same thing. The breeder is the one who knows their temperaments and can best choose which puppies are right for which home.

I went to visit my pup's litter at 5.5 weeks and my breeder already had a puppy in mind for us. If we didn't like him for some reason and really connected with another puppy, she would have taken that into consideration, but it was ultimately her decision.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
My GSD Breeder after hearing what I wanted picked out two males for me to choose from. They all looked alike to me .... but she knew them individually. I got a wonderful pup! :) Same with my Doberman Breeder ... I had two males to choose from ... got a wonderful pup that way too!

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
I like this blog entry by a corgi breeder. Here's the relevant bit:

PLEASE DO NOT EXPECT TO CHOOSE YOUR PUPPY. This one drives puppy buyers CRAZY. I know this, trust me. I have a lot of sympathy because I've been there. But the fact is that when you come into my house and look at the eight-week-old puppies and one comes up and tugs on your pant leg and you look at me, enraptured, and say "THIS IS IT! He chose ME," I've been looking at people coming into the house all week, and every single time this same puppy has come up and tugged at them and every single one of them have said to me "THIS IS IT!"

What you are seeing is not reality. You are seeing the most outgoing puppy, or you've fallen in love with the one that has the most white, or the one that has a different look from the rest of the litter (when I had one blue girl puppy in a litter of black boys, every human that came in the house wanted her; when I had one black girl puppy in a litter of blue boys everyone kept talking about how much they loved HER), or the one that’s been (accidentally) featured the most in the pictures I've posted. Or, sometimes, you have a very good instinctive eye and you’re picking the puppy that’s the best put together of the litter. And that puppy, of course, is mine, and you’re going to have to pry him out of my cold dead hands.

My responsibility is not to make you happy. And that, dear friends, is why I am posting this now, and not when I have a bunch of actual puppy buyers around . But it’s the truth. My responsibility is to the BREED first. That's why my first priority in placing puppies is the show owners, because they are the ones that will (if all goes well) use this dog to keep the breed going. It’s not that I like them better than I like you; it’s that I have to be extremely careful who I place with them so that they can make breeding decisions with the very best genetic material I can hand them. My second responsibility is to the PUPPY. I will place each puppy where I feel that it has the best chance of success and the optimal environment to thrive.

So while I do care, and I will try to take your preferences into account, do not expect to walk into my living room and put your hand in the box and pick whatever puppy you want. And do not expect to be given priority pick because you contacted me first; conversely, do not expect that because you came along late you somehow won’t get a good puppy. Sometimes the person who calls me when the puppies are seven and a half weeks old ends up with what I’d consider the "pick" for various reasons. I am going to try to do my absolute best to match puppies to owners as objectively as I can, not according to who called first.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Awesome link :) well I didn't exactly expect to pick my own puppy anyway. Like you guys said the breeder knows I don't why would I want to pick the puppy (Don't get me wrong I see the appeal very much *I choose it so it's mine*) but I don't want to pick the most high energy by mistake and then not have things work out. :( that would be awful

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Yeah, if a breeder walks you into a room full of puppies and says, "Take your pick", you run. That is not a good breeder.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
I'm actually happy about this aspect of getting a puppy from a breeder. It takes a lot of weight and stress off of -me- trying to decide which puppy is going to be best for us and our lifestyle within a short while of meeting it.

Let the professional handle it, you know? Haha

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
My dogs have the same breeder and she did choose the puppies for me. She nailed it with both of my dogs. I would absolutely let her choose any of the puppies that would come into my home from here on.

Yeah, if a breeder walks you into a room full of puppies and says, "Take your pick", you run. That is not a good breeder.
Exactly.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Some breeders don't mind if you have color preferences, too; they just warn you that you may have to wait a lot longer for a puppy whose temperament and activity level mesh with yours AND that is in a color you like.

When I was looking for a klee kai, I was fine with either grey/white or black/white, although I wanted a black/white. I told this to the breeder, and she selected for me out of the two black/white males in the litter. Casper is a good match for me -- he's got his issues (mostly with strangers and kids), but we get along very well and I've never found him difficult to train or exercise.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I told my boy's breeder my preferences (black/rust, male, suitable for first time owner) and she narrowed it down to two males and then chose the one that she thought would be the best fit. Nobody knows the dogs better than their breeders so I trusted her opinion completely and am ridiculously happy with my dog.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts