Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my brother's hunting buddy, Zena. She's a breed I had never heard of and I'm curious to see if anyone can guess the breed.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,514 Posts
Hm. Deutsch stichelhaar/German Roughhaired Pointer is an older breed, I think, so my second guess is German Wirehaired Pointer?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hm. Deutsch stichelhaar/German Roughhaired Pointer is an older breed, I think, so my second guess is German Wirehaired Pointer?
VERY closely related to GWP, and what many people think to begin with. Actually has the same genetic heritage, just somewhat different standards of conformation and proof of hunting skill before breeding is allowed.

·
Super Moderator
2,514 Posts
Oof, you're giving my FCI breed encyclopedia a workout!

...Verein Deutsch Drahthaar?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oof, you're giving my FCI breed encyclopedia a workout!

...Verein Deutsch Drahthaar?

You got it!!!

She is an amazing hunter with stunning stamina! On one hunting trip, she retrieved 62 ducks and geese for my brother and his friends and she still wanted to play fetch for 30 minutes after they were done!

·
Super Moderator
2,514 Posts
Awesome! I admit I had to do some googling to figure that out. It sounds like the VDD is where Wirehaired Pointers originated from, but the German parent club keeps stricter performance standard than most other groups breeding German Wirehaired Pointers, so they've diverged slightly. Is that about right? Very interesting, either way!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Awesome! I admit I had to do some googling to figure that out. It sounds like the VDD is where Wirehaired Pointers originated from, but the German parent club keeps stricter performance standard than most other groups breeding German Wirehaired Pointers, so they've diverged slightly. Is that about right? Very interesting, either way!
That is what I understand! I have no clue how my brother learned about the breed, but there are a few breeders and trainers here in the states now. My brother got a lot of joy out of training her and hunting with her and she LOVES to hunt! I hate that she doesn't have my brother to go out with any longer. I hope either my dad or one of my brother's hunting friends will either know, or be able to learn, the signals Zena was trained to know and take her hunting again soon!

·
Super Moderator
2,514 Posts
That's really cool! My in-laws' wirehaired dachshund is from hunting lines, but unfortunately she turned out to be a terrible tracker so she doesn't get to go out with my FiL and BiL anymore, haha. She loves looking for mice on walks anyway - it's too bad she's got no skill at it because she does seem to love the activity (and my FiL has successfully trained blood tracking and regular tracking dachshunds before so it's not on his end).

Very cool that these rarer breeds are starting to be known to people who can appreciate them and their skills.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts