Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are your dogs mistaken for other breeds often?

My malinois are very rarely identified correctly. I hear " pretty German shepherd", or " is that part shepherd" alot!
In tractor supply the other morning, a man passes the aisle we were in,does a double take. "That a malinois! ". We talked for awhile, and I asked how he was familiar with the breed. He had worked for the secret service, which uses mals exclusively now.

So what are your dogs ever mistaken for?

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Pomeranians and Chihuahuas most often. I used to hear Chi the most but lately I seem to get pom more often. Shelties or toy collies is probably the third most common. Yesterday I was walking my three and was asked if they were shelties. Back when I did have both shelties and papillons people always thought the paps were the shelties' puppies.

I am finding more and more people know what they are now as opposed to almost 8 years ago when I got Beau. No one ever guessed the right breed then. But they're getting a lot more common.

Shih-tzu, pekignese, poodle mix, all sorts of wild designer dogs, cavaliers, have also been guessed. We've also been asked if they were foxes (Rose), chinchillas (I think the guy meant to say chihuahuas), and then sugar gliders.

·
Super Moderator
11,835 Posts
Esther looks like a lab. Most people assume she's a lab but it can be a huge surprise because she doesn't ACT like a lab.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a long stock coat GSD which seems to throw some people off at times. People often ask what type of Shepherd she is.

·
Registered
751 Posts
A pug.....
Sure he has similar markings, but come on does this look like a pug?

I normally laugh and correct them

·
Registered
222 Posts
My yellow lab puppy isn't often outright mistaken for other breeds, but I get asked alot what she is. Her parents are chocolate so she's got different coloration than some people are used to, I guess.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
No not really, when she was a puppy i was asked by a man if she was a Rottie, then a group of people asked if she was a crossbreed, but no-one has guessed since, i do often get asked what she is though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nobody ever mistakes Lizzie for any other breed. Yorkies are very identifiable I guess. She has a pretty typical yorkie personality too so that may help.

With Tessa I always get asked if she is a long hair chihuahua. Not too many people I meet seem to know papillons.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Storee gets called a 'golden lab' or a golden mix, she's a golden.
Ticket usually is a BMD mix because border collies are really only black and white.
Kilt, aussie or aussie mix, or long haired heeler (???). Again, border collies are really only black and white, not blue merle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Most people say "is that a mixed breed?" when they see my black and white border collie. I mean he doesn't have the most pronounced markings but come on. I know they've seen Babe.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My boy doesn't get mistaken for another breed, but I've had multiple people tell me he must be a mix because he's so big. No, he's a purebred, but just a poorly bred purebred. (He's a rescue that originally came from a pet store / puppy mill). He just bigger than the breed standard. There can be quite a size variation in JRTs anyway. Most of the JRTs I see around here are either shorties or on the small end of the standard.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Mike is often identified as a Husky. I have trouble seeing any Husky though.

According to a friend of the family, Charlie was a Golden Retriever.

Really now?
Really?

Though it was kinda funny :p

In general though, people have trouble realizing my dogs are shepherds. Apparently the white coat color makes people adamant in thinking they must be some type of arctic/sledding dog, hahaha!

·
Registered
462 Posts

Two Bits was 27 inches at the shoulder and 90 lbs. when fully fit. A definate Hienz 57 but she had been called:

Blue Heeler
Dalmatian
Griffon
African wild dog
Zebra

Mick was 29 inches at the shoulder and 135 lbs. Most likely he was a GSD/Lab mix or something similar. He was called:

Wolf
Great Dame

Max was 31 inches at the shoulder and 97 lbs. He was supposedly a GSD/Lab mix. He was called:

Great Dane
Borzoi
Pony

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im loving all the pictures! I thought I knew the difference in a yorkie and a silky, but i have asked about a couple that looked like silkies, and the owners became pretty offended. I just ask now, rather than saying oh a silky (or whatever breed lol).

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Once a solicitor came to the door and said "oh a chocolate lab!" when he saw my silver weimaraner puppy.
LOL!
Yeahhhh, I'm kinda in hickville. So it does happen a lot.

Troubles has been called a min pin -I guess I can kinda see it. But, he's also been called a "baby doberman". Really, the only thing he and a dobe have in common are being black with tan points.
<- Definitely a dobe. Lol

Diesel got called a Newfie once, but other than that nobody really makes guesses on his breeds. They just concentrate on how fluffy he is.
This dog loves dirt.

Aleu, however. >_> I thought Sibes were easily recognizable. I really did. When I first brought her home, a neighbor looked RIGHT AT her CKC form, went inside, googled 'white dog long hair' and rushed back out saying 'no you're a liar, she's a spitz' (meaning Japanese Spitz, because that's what the first picture was). That whole scene was ridiculous. Aleu's also been called a white shepherd. And of course, what would a husky be without being called a wolf once in it's lifetime. Because all wolves are white with blue eyes -_-' I've actually had people try to FIGHT their dogs with her because they won't believe she's not a wolf and they're twisted. She's been shot at, chased down and harassed because of this.
Feast your eyes upon the wild beast! Lol

·
Registered
62 Posts
Im loving all the pictures! I thought I knew the difference in a yorkie and a silky, but i have asked about a couple that looked like silkies, and the owners became pretty offended. I just ask now, rather than saying oh a silky (or whatever breed lol).
That is true. I always ask if I see people with big yorkies. It can be hard to tell when the yorkie is outside the breed standards. I've also seen some small silkies to.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Casper's always just called a "miniature husky." I've only had two people ever know he was a klee kai. (Oh, one little kid thought he was a coyote and was afraid of him, though, haha.) Crystal's been mistaken for a chihuahua, shih tzu (really?), and border collie. Not even "miniature border collie," just border collie. Who knew they were just 9lbs? :p My brother's black and white pit bull was once called a husky.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
The top three I hear the most are dachshund, chihuahua and fox (yep I have a pet fox...).

I've also occasionally heard shiba inu, husky puppy and pom/dachshund cross.

When he was a puppy one lady really thought we were taking a rabbit for a walk on a leash because she only saw him from behind and he has the little docked tail and hopped like a bunny when he ran.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts