Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Breed Identification, anyone?

4K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  Kayota 
#1 · (Edited)
First of all, I would like to reassure you that I'm not a troll. This is my first post, but I have read absolutely everything on the board. A discussion with another group prompted me to want to try a bit of experiment - more of a game, really.

In the interest of full disclosure I will say that I know the answer, and will post that, as well as the reason for this silly post fairly soon.

What breeds, or breed, do you think this guy is:

(This is not his normal posture, obviously, but gives a good look at his build, lack of tail and markings)

He is an adult, he is roughly 18 inches tall, and weighs 20-25 pounds. His tail is docked.

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like a Rat Terrier.

#7 ·
That's the fifth reply I was waiting on;-)

You're all right (Well, most of you). That is a (titled, local (so not rare to the area) one, none-the-less!) rat terrier that joined my family recently. Since he has been here I have been repeating, on near endless loop, to everyone we meet that: No. He is not a beagle mix. Or a chi. one. This led to the other discussion I mentioned - wherein someone suggested that 'even dog people' wouldn't recognize the breed.

I feel vindicated. Thank you.

#9 ·
Apparently, that's the only tri-color spotty dog they can imagine! And chis are the only dogs with big ears!

:doh:

#10 ·
I have people ask me if my huskies are part wolf. Denali, being all white, is usually a samoyed or a white GSD, or once was even a schipperke.

#11 ·
#12 ·
Hi. Meet my brother's husky and my shih tzu:

...If random people on the street can be believed, anyway.

Welcome to the forum! Your "cheagle" is very cute. ;) :p

#13 ·
And these are my JRT's, cuz apparently Dachshunds dont come in that colour! I was told that by a lady who claims to have been breeding Dachshunds for 20 years!) So I asked her if JRT's could come in Double Dapple/Merle? She walked away huffy after telling me that she never "got into the dapples" not much of a breeder eh? who doesn't even know all the colours her breed can come in! So sometimes, even dog people are ignorant!

I feel the need to add here, that this pic was taken the day I adopted him 1.5 years ago, he is no longer anywhere NEAR that fat! LOL

#15 ·
He is DEFINITELY still honeymooning, but he already has my heart. He's such a HAPPY dog.

#17 ·
Along the same vein as Deaf Dogs (whose Dachshunds are beautiful btw), a neighbor who had the worst looking Chihuahua I had ever seen and was planning on breeding him told me there was no way my dog is part Chihuahua. Same with a (by)breeder of applehead Chis I met at a fair. Please tell me you all see Chihuahua in my dog.

#22 ·
Of course. No other dogs come in black and tan. I tell people that black & tan is also a doxie color pattern... and I've been told that no it isn't. Hm, ok... I guess you're right then, I guess my stub legged, short coated, floppy eared, long backed dog is a GSD. Oddly no one ever asks if he's a rotti.

#23 · (Edited)
Hehe, agreed..some people (dog savvy or not) just don't always have a clue.. but not always their fault, some just aren't as educated as others ;)

BTW - This is my Doberman/Husky (b/c of the blueish eyes) puppy and my Akita/mutt puppy.. :p

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Dog breed

#24 ·
Oh you gotta meet my greyhound

#30 ·
Oh my gosh...

This isn't about MY dog, but I had a customer at work buy PetArmor for his dog... I asked what breed he has, he said "White lab! The dog on the box is a spitting image." I look at the box and I see a very good looking Great Pyrenees, so I ask him what he said and he said the same exact thing. I'm not sure if he thinks the dog on the box is a lab or if he really has a Pyr and he thinks it's a lab...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.